Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy 2018/19

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to go to Italy with two intermediate skiers and two non-skiers (one Italian) next year. We will be flying from the states and likely staying for around a week. Main priorities are things to do for the non-skiers, snow in the valley, and lots of skiing around. Original thoughts were Cortina as the glamour attracts the non-skiers and the Sella Ronda isn't too far away in case Cortina gets a little dull. Another idea is Madonna di Campiligio as Peio and Passo Tonale are around.

Do any Italian resorts meet the criteria above and have a good early snow record? Open to more suggestions of course!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Early snow is a bit of a crapshoot in Italy. I'm a big fan of Val Gardena and Sella is higher up and easier to access the Sella Ronda. You could stay down in Ortisei as the town is bigger but the better snow will be further up the valley. Plenty for intermediate skiers.

Maybe something in Valle d'Aosta... you could maybe stay in Courmayeur and have access to La Thuile up the valley as it is more snow sure. Or, maybe stay in Aosta (better for non-skiers) and then you can take the gondola from town up to Pila.

What month are you thinking?

We go through the same issue coming from the states as snow sure is my top priority followed by similar challenges as yours. If Val Gardena was a little more snow sure in March, we would pick it often. May do Cervinia next year but not sure how much there is to do for non-skiers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ItaloSkier wrote:
Early snow is a bit of a crapshoot in Italy. I'm a big fan of Val Gardena and Sella is higher up and easier to access the Sella Ronda. You could stay down in Ortisei as the town is bigger but the better snow will be further up the valley. Plenty for intermediate skiers.

Maybe something in Valle d'Aosta... you could maybe stay in Courmayeur and have access to La Thuile up the valley as it is more snow sure. Or, maybe stay in Aosta (better for non-skiers) and then you can take the gondola from town up to Pila.

What month are you thinking?

We go through the same issue coming from the states as snow sure is my top priority followed by similar challenges as yours. If Val Gardena was a little more snow sure in March, we would pick it often. May do Cervinia next year but not sure how much there is to do for non-skiers.

Whoops, I forgot to include the dates. We would head either around Christmas or early January which I know (this year excluded) have been awful the last several years. I suppose we could wait until early December and decide. How is Livigno around that time?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm trying to think of other options for you... maybe Bormio?

By the way, check this out...

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Italy/Livigno_snow_history.html

What about here? Kronplatz. Never been but heard good things - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/kronplatz-the-best-italian-ski-resort-youve-never-heard-of/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ItaloSkier wrote:
I'm trying to think of other options for you... maybe Bormio?

By the way, check this out...

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Italy/Livigno_snow_history.html

What about here? Kronplatz. Never been but heard good things - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/kronplatz-the-best-italian-ski-resort-youve-never-heard-of/

Thanks, very useful link, great article too, Kronplatz is at the top of the list.

As for Aosta, I'm worried that Pila's pistes would be too challenging for us and since the non-skiers want snow too, Aosa's low altitude is very risky
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's not a ton to do in La Thuile although you have a spa town just down the road and Courmayeur is about 25 minutes away. They have nice cruisers up top for beginners.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On Pila, there isn't going to be anything down at the bottom... Aosta is just too low. BUT, real Pila does not start until higher up. You basically take the lift up from Aosta to get to where the real base happens to be at 1800 meters. I think La Thuile is a safer snow bet.

https://s3.onthesnow.com/images/trailmaps/aosta-valley/pila/xlarge.jpg
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We just spent a week in Courmayeur with a non-skiing relative. Especially if you have access to a vehicle, this makes an ideal base. There's skiing in Courmayeur itself. or with a little travelling round in La Thuile or even down at Pila. For non-skiiers, Courmayeur is a wonderful town, and gives you access to plenty of walking, and of course to the Skyway Monte Bianco. There's the thermal baths a Pré St Didier, or Aosta down the valley

If you stay in Aosta, there's a 30 minute gondola ride from town up to the ski slopes at Pila
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Courmayeur is a great town - we stayed there last time in the valley. The intermediate skiing is OK but, yes, the town is wonderful. We stayed at the Hotel Svizzero and really enjoyed our stay.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Italians are masters of the man-made snow in the Dolomites. By early January they normally have most of the pistes open, even if there has been little or no natural snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt wrote:
We just spent a week in Courmayeur with a non-skiing relative. Especially if you have access to a vehicle, this makes an ideal base. There's skiing in Courmayeur itself. or with a little travelling round in La Thuile or even down at Pila. For non-skiiers, Courmayeur is a wonderful town, and gives you access to plenty of walking, and of course to the Skyway Monte Bianco. There's the thermal baths a Pré St Didier, or Aosta down the valley

If you stay in Aosta, there's a 30 minute gondola ride from town up to the ski slopes at Pila

Ok interesting. How is the drive to La Thuille? Do they have a free ski bus over there? Would it be better for us to be based in La Thuille and have the non skiers commute to Courmayeur and Aosta, or just all be based in Courmayeur?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kditrj2d wrote:
The Italians are masters of the man-made snow in the Dolomites. By early January they normally have most of the pistes open, even if there has been little or no natural snow.

Pistes open isn't really a priority as much as natural snow at valley level. We're looking for a chocolate box type wintry vacation. Obviously we can't predict what the weather will be like but I'm open to all suggestions in case they do get snow more than others
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kditrj2d wrote:

Pistes open isn't really a priority as much as natural snow at valley level. We're looking for a chocolate box type wintry vacation. Obviously we can't predict what the weather will be like but I'm open to all suggestions in case they do get snow more than others
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courmayeur is more charming than La Thuile but La Thuile has a greater chance of having snow in the valley... that's a tough one. I can't remember if there is a ski bus since we had a car. La Thuile's base is a little over 200m higher than Courmayeur. Cervinia will for sure have more snow since you're looking at 2050m but not sure it ticks the other boxes.

Look... I think Val Gardena is jaw-droppingly beautiful. You just may have more uncertainty when it comes to snow but it is gorgeous and the non-skiers have three towns to choose from. Selva is at 1500+ meters and is a wonderful town with access to tons of skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy