Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots as Hand Luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning All, I am flying with TUI from Manchester in 3 weeks and I can't seem to find a definitive answer whether I can take my ski boots in a boot bag as hand luggage? They will be under the 5kg weight allowance but not sure if I can carry them on with me?

Thanks in advance all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes you can.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
loads on my flight home from whistler with boots round their carryon bags but they didn't have to worry about a 5kg limit...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like you're all good. I spoke to Jet2 and they said no boots as hand luggage but easyjet have been fine for me on my last two trips so I guess it varies per airline. Thinking of chancing it anyway with Jet2 as I don't want to let them out of my sight.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This comes up quite a lot on this forum - out of interest, why do people want to carry their ski boots as hand luggage?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@moseyp, almost everything else can be hired\purchased at resort in the event that you gear is lost in transit, where as most people who have opted for their own boots have done so because rentals don't suit their feet or skiing demands.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moseyp wrote:
This comes up quite a lot on this forum - out of interest, why do people want to carry their ski boots as hand luggage?

In case your hold luggage/ski bag goes astray. You can hire skis, buy shower gel and knickers but some folk cannot ski without their own boots. They're also usually a bit heavy so take up a chunk of baggage allowance so handy if your carry on bag isn't weighed.

Mine usually go in the hold but am planning to revise this approach next trip.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moseyp wrote:

Personally I am aiming to take them as hand luggage to free up a considerable amount of space in my suitcase. I also do not own my own skis (yet Smile ) And i believe the norm would be to put them in with your skis on the ski carriage?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can get them in the little luggage sized crate, you can get them into the overhead locker.

If your boot bag is the normal boot bag shape, this will mean they go in the hold, whereas loose boots can go onboard.

The little boot bags are part of your Easyjet ski carriage allowance, so no need to put them in your suitcase.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just packed mine and the wife's into 2 carry on suitcases, as we have different size feet I out one of each into each suitcase and it works perfectly. Then just pack around them with gloves hats etc and we are all set!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moseyp wrote:

It's more important if you aren't flying direct, but any flight has that risk.
In my case (hard boot snowboarder) I have to carry the boots and the bindings.
There's no 5Kg limit with most airlines fortunately.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Be careful if you ever fly with Ryanair. They have strict limits on the physical size of the cabin luggage. My boot bag was too wide to pass through their measuring frame so I bought this; which complies with their limits. https://www.glideslide.co.uk/16348/products/rossignol-dual-ski-boot-bag.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7f21x8jG2QIV75XtCh0sCQoVEAQYAiABEgKdePD_BwE
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moseyp wrote:

Boots go 69 in a standard carry on bag packed around with clothes etc, remainder of clothes go in ski bag, no need for suitcase.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tangowaggon wrote:
moseyp wrote:

Boots go 69 in a standard carry on bag packed around with clothes etc, remainder of clothes go in ski bag, no need for suitcase.
This. I don't like to be parted from my boots and the rest of the stuff in my carry on bag (including my helmet) enables me to ski even if my ski bag goes awol. That way I don't have to faff around shopping on the first day, just hire skis until the missing bag turns up.
latest report
Flew with Tui/crystal several times, and always taken my standard boot bag as hand luggage (last time a month ago). Same experience with BA and Easyjet.
snow conditions
djf wrote:
I spoke to Jet2 and they said no boots as hand luggage.

How would they find out?

If security let you through (and they do) then no one will know.
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, I agree I can imagine its a "don't do that" but as long as you're within the size limits can't imagine they'll stop me on the plane we'll see ......

I use a cabin max bag and top and tail them plus some extra stuff. Last time I took all the gear I'd need to go skiing so if I lost my ski bag with the rest of the stuff in it wouldn't mess my timings on the holiday. I have the rossignol bag too but was concerned I couldn't get my other plane gear in it such as laptop. I carry mine on for various reason but the main is so the boots are with me and it would be a pain (literally) to go into rentals.
snow conditions
Never had any issues taking my boots as hand luggage on BA, Germania or TUI.

They go in my boot bag and fit all the usual hand luggage size restrictions. I normally fill the gaps with ski socks, gloves etc. I do this to free up space in my hold luggage, as well as always making sure I have at least boots in case my hold luggage goes missing.

The OH puts hers in a standard wheeled carry on case in which she can also get a pair of salopettes as well. Unfortunately, my feet and therefore my boots are too big to fit in one.

If you are worried about the check-in staff flagging up your boots, then try the wheeled carry case option. They won't have a clue your boots are in there and security "shouldn't" bat an eye lid at them.
snow conditions
moseyp wrote:

For me it comes down to using weight allowance. On a recent 4 week trip to USA we decided not to take skis as we had three internal flights. This meant we were limited to 23kg for boots, ski mojos, helmets, ski wear and all other warm weather clothing and wash gear! In order to balance weights we had to maximise carry on baggage weights. The easiest way was to put boots in carry on luggage. We worked on basis "if you don't ask, they can't say no!" Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 2-03-18 8:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Jhead91, at Manchester with TUI a few weeks ago I took hand baggage with 1 ski boot on board. Along with other carry-on ‘essentials’ my bag weighed over the 5kg allowed but they didn’t bother checking.

From East Mids, with exactly same bag, they weighed and I had to transfer a few things over to my wife, who had light carry-on baggage. May seem waste of time but understand principle from airline viewpoint. If completely unenforced, some take liberties and bring very large/heavy bags on board.

So, yes, but watch the weight, is the message. I’m pleasantly surprised your 2 ski boots + bag are within 5kg. My bag light so must have heavy boots!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy