Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Germany (esp. Oberstdorf) - likely snow conditions in late March this year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We might have an opportunity to ski for a few days towards the end of March in southern Germany. Week beginning March 19th, so not quite Easter holidays I don't think. Oberstdorf (ski area starts at 800 metres, but goes up to above 2000 metres) is looking a likely candidate as there are good train connections from Frankfurt (only one change). Can anybody shed any light on:
- average snow conditions in late March / better or worse than average this year?
- what the place / ski area is like (other than what I can see from the ski map)
- any alternatives good for 4 days skiing or so within about 5 hours train journey from Frankfurt? We could also hire a car, but looks more expensive and more hassle.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could possibly head north instead of south from Frankfurt, to Sauerland, for instance Winterberg is 4h20 by train (3 trains), or 2hrs driving. Normally closes mid-march, but I did find one website claiming it would be open till April 2nd this year (http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/winterberg-skiliftkarussell/).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You should be ok for snow as the area is quite high, skied there in early April a few years back. You have to have a car unless you are sticking to one area for the duration..Nebelhorn takes you from the town to the slopes, but if you want another area, then a car is a must.
Fellhorn is quite extensive (approx 20 minutes drive) and Ifen (30mins drive) is a very nice area.
4 days would be ideal in this area IMO, but others may have a different view.
You could go to Garmisch, south of Munich, but not skied here, so cannot offer an opinion.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rcav, thanks - I looked at Winterberg but it looks a bit limited for four days skiing, and perhaps risky as so late in the season (even if it's still open). Perhaps one for a short mid-season break?

@Simon94, cheers - we'd probably go by train to Oberstdorf as it's cheaper. However there are shuttle buses to all the ski areas. Good you think snow should be OK (no guarantees I know!). Conditions at the moment look good and it's only 3 weeks away. Is English spoken widely? My partner and I can get by in English / French / Spanish between us, but we don't speak any German!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@denfinella, as Simon94 says there are several ski areas around Oberstdorf. Nebelhorn cable car is directly in Oberstdorf. Fellhorn/Kanzelwand is the biggest area which spans into Austria in Kleinwalsertal. The Ifen area in Kleinwalsertal is scenically interesting and is good for a day... Plenty to do. Nebelhorn really only interesting for advanced skiers imo.
English is spoken!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy