Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apache Recons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Me an Mrs Ski had a go on these last week. We had 160s 'cos that's all the shop had (we both weigh 9 1/2 stone)

What fantastic ski !

We had old snow in La Grave, with a few patches of windblown on the glacier. We did not ski them on any kind of piste.

What I found..

1) On hard snow - nice and stiff and grippy.

2) Edge change - nice and quick - felt like a slalom ski (handy in a couloir then).

3) In the windblown (maybe 3" deep) - nice and supportive.

For really deep powder days, I'd want to go fatter (Chiefs anyone ?) but as a do anything ski (reminded me of the orginal X-Scream) these seem to be perfect.

I've also skied B2s (last year's - this years B3 ?) - the Recons felt stiffer and more fun to ski..

This is probably old news by now..but thought I'd post anyway.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski,

Never been able to get these and I'm a confirmed XL fan now which does exactly what you decscribed very well but I have seen this ski (Recon) panned here a few times and seen such good reviews elsewhere, I don't understand it.

IMV the B2 isn't the benchmark for these types of skis anyway and so am not surprised you found the Recon a more livelier ski...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

IMV the B2 isn't the benchmark for these types of skis anyway and so am not surprised you found the Recon a more livelier ski...

The Recon is probably the market leader in this ski category. That or the HOTROD Nitrous. But i guess it is all opinion but ive heard more possitives about the Recon than I have for anyother ski this year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a set of Recon's which I bought for this season. After reading all the reviews and skiing them only at MK indoor slope I thought they were what I needed. Have skied them twicew so far and loved them. I'm not great in powder but found them very supportive and made me feel pretty good. I have seen them slated here several times and am not really sure why? I am not a vastly experienced skier but have been on several makes before. Always liked K2's though so maybe a little biased. Mine are 174's and I am about 6'2" at 95kg.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's interesting isn't it? Ive never skied the Recon myself, but my friend Max is currently using them and thinks they're very ordinary! Ski choice is sooooo personal!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
It's interesting isn't it? Ive never skied the Recon myself, but my friend Max is currently using them and thinks they're very ordinary! Ski choice is sooooo personal!
my friend Max is currently using them and thinks they're very ordinary! Ski choice is sooooo personal!

I agree- I tried them and didn't notice anything at all- bland bland bland- prefered the Movement demon flames (although I fell over on bumps and could not get them to turn off piste) and the 1080 foils- which for me are vv good

try before you buy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tested them back to back with last years B2s, and preferred the B2s, so that's what I bought.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've tried the 174 Recons a few times & each time found them very capable but really really damp - as I found all of the K2's I've tried. I prefer something with more rebound that rewards input.

There are however many many Recon fans out there so as easiski says it really is a case of each to their own.

Their 'Outlaw' big brother looked impressive in the Utah ski store racks recently but nobody seemed to have a demo pair.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer wrote:
I tested them back to back with last years B2s, and preferred the B2s, so that's what I bought.

This is my second season on the Apache Recons and I find excellent in conditions from hard piste (Italian artificial snow) through moguls and to heavy and not-so-heavy powder (Canada) - and even in La Rosiere's champagne Toofy Grin. They are however getting worse for wear and I've been looking for replacements.

A few weeks ago had a chance to demo (this year's) B2 and B3, and found they lacked the liveliness I find in the Recons. Also tried the Atomic B5 and M11 and Head Monster 72, and Rossi Z9. On the bases of that day: I'm staying with the Recon.

I suppose it's not really surprising I like the Recon, having skied K2 almost exclusively since the Four came out in about 1996(?).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW, posted a couple of great shots of you in off-piste heaven, La Rosiere Dec 2005in our gallery.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW, Thanks for that I was starting to think I was going mad. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the recon's. I also tried the B2s for several days last season and didn't like them as much as my apaches.

Will
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW, justapurrin, the Recons scored consistently higher than the B2s in ski tests last year. I think that the fact that I was used to the B2s probably made me biased towards them.

It really goes to show that there isn't one "right" ski for everyone, or else we would all be using the same type. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy