Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where currently best snow in europe?

Poster: A snowHead
any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
frostie1861, my own thoughts are the Tarentaise resorts will all have masses of fresh snow. In La Rosiere there's 215cms at altitude and 125cms in the village with more expected, best conditions of the season. If you're thinking about skiing in the next week or so we've a special offer for march, a free 6 day Espace San Bernardo (France & Italy) lift pass with every adult booking fro a week. See our ad in snowShops or go to www.tracksvacations.com for details.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This link to SCGB may help you a bit. http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reports/overview/default.asp
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier has 145cm at the bottom and 260cm at the top.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking at it the other way round, which areas DIDN'T get dumped on over the last week?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
frostie1861, what do you mean by best snow????

as far as i'm aware there is no where in Europe struggling for snow at the moment...............is that correct? Off to Films/Laxx tomorrow so i can tell you next week what that's like but everywhere seems to have plenty of snow to slide on at the moment snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Milton Keynes not looking too clever (as usual) (pure supposition of course they may have installed a "major dump" machine " since my last visit)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
290 cms in Flaine and Samoens at the moment.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen You said Serre Chev had 145cm at the bottom. 1ski said 90cm.- Hope you are right as we go over on the 4th march.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
you can see at les Diablerets where they have cleared the road
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/obelix67/Snowblade/19-02-06_1439.jpg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

belix67

In that picture of yours would you say that snow chains would be required for those conditions is the car did not have winter tyres?

Cheers,
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nope not in that - but in the morning on the way there - there was about 2 inches of ice - fine if you have winter tyres on - we saw some Frenchies putting their chains on that afternoon - but the road was clear from Saanermoser to Aigle.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool - is it tricky driving in that slush? I am driving to Alps on 3rd March and this recent snowfall and all the reports of cars being trapped has worried me slightly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Driving on ice etc takes practice - take it easy. I have been driving in that stuff regulary for 23 years now.

I would suggest that you get chains in case you need them and buy winter tyres before you leave - my preference is for Blizzacks.

Some of the English people in the same B&B as us at New Year at Verbier had more bother than they needed to due to not fitting winter tyres - it then cost them 500 chf for a garage to come out and fit 60 chf snowchains... rolling eyes

It is recommended round here when you park your car if the air temp is going to get really cold dont put your handbrake on just leave the car in gear.

If you have room also have 1 or 2 blankets in the car - take one or two thermos with you and T bags / cup o soup - just in case.

If you get stuck and the snow is piling up switch the engine off - carbon monoxide poisoning makes you feel happy, then dead.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 20-02-06 19:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevducky, just checked this out on the serre che website this afternoon.
ski holidays
Quote:
It is recommended round here when you park your car if the air temp is going to get really cold dont put your handbrake on just leave the car in gear.

I must second this - I inadvertently left my handbrake on while we were on holiday our second winter here. When we returned, the brakes had frozen solid and eventually all four discs had to be ground down to remedy the situation.
snow conditions
LINK to the Serre Che website snow report . All th other sites seem to be a day or two out of date.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont,

That suggests a 'station' temp of -7 (reaonable) but an 'altitude' temp of +7 ...distinctly odd. Perhaps their thermometer was upside down Puzzled
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
Helen Beaumont,

That suggests a 'station' temp of -7 (reaonable) but an 'altitude' temp of +7 ...distinctly odd. Perhaps their thermometer was upside down Puzzled

It's called a temperature inversion.

When the air doesn't get moved around much (so if you've got a high pressure setup) the cold air sinks into the valley and the warmer air rises.
snow conditions
Lager wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
Helen Beaumont,

When the air doesn't get moved around much (so if you've got a high pressure setup) the cold air sinks into the valley and the warmer air rises.

Yep, fairly common mountain phenomenon
ski holidays
eng_ch, that looked from the webcams what had happened. Poor visibility, and foggy at the bottom, and sunshine at the top.
snow report
Glencoe looks pretty good. if Stenna line wasn't charging over £200.00 i'd be there Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Can you not Easyjet Ryanair or Aer Aran ?
ski holidays
eng_ch,

I'll get me coat... Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

I didn't know about this phenomenon either, even after many years of skiing, until a few weeks ago in Engelberg. It was bitterly cold in the village in the morning but once up the mountain it was fine. Sunny, still cold but not unbearable and we skiied in sunshine all day, even sitting outside for a drink.
When we skiied back down to the village in the afternoon the temperature change was unbelievable, like frostbite freezing, when the hairs in your nostrils freeze Shocked It was really weird, upside down weather. What causes them then?
ski holidays
obelix67,

Only choice is with Easy from Belfast to Glasgow. About £100 going out tomorrow coming back friday. Plus car hire. Just too expensive
snow report
RachelQ, the laws of thermodynamics with a bit of gravity thrown in can be used to show that temperature drops linearly with height by 1 deg.C/km. This continues all the way up through the troposphere where it's constant at -50 deg.C (outside temp. at Sleazy Jet cruising height). However, close to the ground weird things can happen. Air trapped in a valley will cool at night but won't necessarily see enough sun to be warmed again. In settled weather, this denser air will sit at the valley floor. Warmer air higher up will sit on top of this layer and create an inversion. Where the cool and warm air meet, water vapour condenses and forms the fog. Any chimney smoke, exhaust fumes or other gases will rise through the cold bit but will get "stuck" at the warm bit (as they rise, they cool by 1 deg.C/km but then meet warmer air and start to sink again). Once the wind starts blowing, the airstreams will mix and the temp gradient will be restored. Also linked to the cause of the Foehn. That's about all I can remember without delving into my notes...
latest report
Sharkymark, 1 deg C / km ?????? I thought it was nearer 1 C / 100m (all other things being equal - which they never are) if I remember my school geography lesson correctly.
Otherwise, your explanation of temperature inversion is good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My memory wasn't playing tricks. 'Stolen' from a BBC web site with an interesting aside about arachnid anti-freeze !!!!!!!
Quote:
Temperature and humidity
As a result of the reduced air pressure, rising air expands and cools. Dry air cools at a fixed rate of approximately 2-3°C per 300m. Moist air behaves differently as once it starts rising, the water vapour starts to condense. This change of water state releases some heat and reduces the rate of cooling.

...spiders have been discovered living high in the Himalayas that rely on a natural anti-freeze for survival...
In Scotland, Braemar (339m) has an annual average temperature of 6.4°C, while average at Ben Nevis (1344m) is -0.3°C. Looking again at Everest, the temperature at that altitude would be -40°C compared to an average of 15°C at sea level. It is not surprising, therefore, to hear that spiders have been discovered living high in the Himalayas that rely on a natural anti-freeze for survival in the sub-zero temperatures!

Full article http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/understanding/altitude.shtml
ski holidays
http://www.bergfex.at/austria/schneewerte/?sortBy=Berg
snow report
 brian
brian
Incidentally, this bit:

"Moist air behaves differently as once it starts rising, the water vapour starts to condense. This change of water state releases some heat and reduces the rate of cooling. "

.... is the Foehn effect. The air is forced to rise as it hits the mountains, thus releasing heat as described above and the dry, warmed, snow stripping air blows down the lee slope on the other side.
snow report
kuwait_ian, this is really sad as I now have to go away and work it out...I wish I wasn't a bl*ody engineer...

I hate the Foehn snoweater, it attacked us during our trip a couple of weeks ago Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy