Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for short ski break with kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,
Hopefully i can get some constructive advice.
Just recently back from first family ski hol in Zel am See.
Me and two kids loved it. Wife hated it.
So for future ski breaks it will be just me and the two boys with a pass for 4 nights. (5 at a push)

Potentially looking at driving. (Mainly because most of the ski travel operators offer mainly 7 night packages)
Sophisticated Apres Ski clearly not important.
Decent ski school would be a good thing.

Could anyone recommend a ski resort that could be suitable and where a shorter break is possible?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at Borovets in Bulgaria. Great for short breaks, only 1 hr 15 from the airport and it's super cheap! Ski schools get very good reviews.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Carroz in the Grand Massif. One of the closest resorts to Calais if you are driving. Only an hour from Geneva if you want to pick up cheap flights. I highly recommend the ESF in the village. Ours learnt with them for the age of 3 and a half and loved it, huge smiles and never wanted to miss a day. You can stay in the village or have some friends who stay down at the IBIS in Sallanches and drive up each day, when they are doing a cheap break. I'd not recommend that option with young kids but they cope well with teenagers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a long weekend with our kids (then aged 4 and 7) to Alpbach. Straight to the airport after school for a flight to Munich and arrived at the hotel (Das Galtenberg) just before midnight. 3 1/2 days skiing then a flight back Tuesday late afternoon, could have taken a later flight and had 4 full days but we’d taken the kids out of school for 2 days and didn’t want it to be a very late night for them on Tuesday night.
You’re right most TO’s will only will only allow 7 days, though there are a few that do short breaks and many might have a short week after new year to get the usual changeover day if new year falls on a weekend (you’ll have to wait a few years for this to happen!).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tobydom100, shame the wife hated it. Probably this is a whole different thread topic, but what was is she didn’t like and is there anything you could do differently to persuade her to go again?

There are plenty of families that go away with a non-skier, that pick resorts where it’s easy to all meet up for lunch and breaks, activities to do for the non-skier (depending on preferences - someone active may like to try snow shoes, others the spa, or or how about cross country skiing?). My wife tried skiing and didn’t like it. Basically she was too scared. Tried private lessons every day etc. But she would rather be there than not - I think mostly for fear of our son being injured when she is not there... But we find places that work for us as a family.

For a short break, often a DIY arrangement with flights maximises skiiing time. Which airports could you use?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @themasterpiece.
She just couldnt beat her fear of falling. (Which i find strange as she rides horses but each to their own)
Her instructor was great but in the end she just gave up and left me and the boys to it.

We can fly from anywhere really as Midlands based.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used Ski Weekends twice with no complaints, and they're usually pretty decent value.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just DIY it. Pick a destination airport with decent prices for the days you wish to travel, pick a resort nearby, hire a car and book a hotel room. If you're lucky they will be able to put a 3rd bed in your room.

I recently did Austria with a combination of 3 dads, each with a 14 year old son, and we flew out of Gatwick at 7:30am and we were skiing just after midday.

I can't imagine driving for a short break, too much time wasted.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've also used Skiweekends when going to La Plagne one year... great few days break Happy However, I agree with just DIY it... +1 for Les Carroz/Samoens... The GM is an awesome little playground, however, somewhere else you may want to consider is Les Contamines... Slightly biased on this, but Les Contamines is an awesome little place for a quick break.. Not enough for a whole week, but you do have the rest of the EMB 5 mins down the road in St Gervais...???

Also would suggest flying if possible... Long way to drive for a few days...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite a few Austrian resorts, about an hour from Salzburg, offer real towns with wide ranges of activities for non-skiers and easy access to the slopes.

There may well be plenty of accommodation providers who are more than happy to offer flexibility around length of stay on a board basis that will suit.

We had a similar mix of skiers/non-skiers here 2 weeks ago which seemed to work really well....snowHeads too snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tobydom100, moutainsun do cheap and cheerful short breaks which are popular with 'single parent' groups like yours
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TopGooner wrote:
Just DIY it. Pick a destination airport with decent prices for the days you wish to travel, pick a resort nearby, hire a car and book a hotel room. If you're lucky they will be able to put a 3rd bed in your room.

As above but check Airbnb, holiday lettings etc also.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy