Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kendo good, Brahma not so?

Poster: A snowHead
Today I tested the Brahma and Kendo back to back. I'm 65 (ish) kg, 175 tall and somewhere between 6 and 7 on the SH scale (maybe nearer 7 now). I ski 177 Soul Riders as my daily driver, and love them but they've taken a beating recently and I probably should be on something a bit stiffer now. The Brahma (173) took me for a ski, except for a few turns on a wide red where I managed to hook them up. The rest of the time, they just did nothing for me and as I got tired, things got worse. I swapped them for Kendos (173) and it was like night and day...I had control, the skis did what I asked and they're firmly on the shortlist.

It seems a bit bizarre that I've found two supposedly burly chargers so different. I don't usually ski really fast, and I'm not the strongest, so I wasn't surprised that the brahmas were too much. But the Kendos were a surprise. Any ideas why?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My guess....I'm around 64kg and when I skied on Blizzard Quattros, I found them very stable and a bit planky. Maybe the Volkls are more reactive than the Brahmas.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, you could be right. I didn't like Head iSupershape somethings a couple of years ago, found them too planky. Also didn't like Scott The Ski, but love Kneissl red stars. I'm just weird?!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mgrolf wrote:
@Old Fartbag, you could be right. I didn't like Head iSupershape somethings a couple of years ago, found them too planky. Also didn't like Scott The Ski, but love Kneissl red stars. I'm just weird?!

I like both the Heads and the Scotts...and I'm only guessing with your question.

Some skis just "click" with the way that you ski (especially if you are light)...which is why testing is such a good idea.

I used to ski on Volkls many years ago...and they had a way of being stable, yet lively.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love my Brahmas. Mine are the 16/17 version and the 17/18 season version is stiffer with more side cut. I tested them at the octobertest and have to say I prefer the older one.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha! This is interesting, as @mgrolf will know, I think his Soulriders used to be mine till about 3 seasons ago! I loved them. Since I replaced them I’ve had some serious ski tuition, so I’m definitely a more technically competent skier now.

This season, I have a new pair of 16/17 Brahmas in 173 and I think they are my best skis yet! I’d tested them a few times on ski testing trips but couldn’t justify a purchase. Despite their behind sold as ”men’s” skis (rolling eyes), I am a middle aged female skier, 62kgs, 5ft 5, and probably and 8/9 on the inside out scale. I love their stiffness and the way they absolutely hold an edge, so I get to go fast.... Cool . I think as others say, they just suit me. I even prefer them everyday to the full on piste skis (Rossi pursuit 700) that Father Christmas bought me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perty wrote:
probably an 8/9 on the inside out scale. I love their stiffness and the way they absolutely hold an edge, so I get to go fast.

This is part of it, I think. I'm less technically competent, and I prefer to pick a careful line down a challenging slope. I rarely hit the afterburners, and usually I scare myself when I do so I slow down again. The only time I felt the brahmas work was when I was going fast (for me).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mgrolf, The new ones felt that way to me. The older version will charge if you want it to but is forgiving if you relax and take it easy. The 17/18 felt like I had less margin for error.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a pair of Kendos. They ski much narrower than they look when on piste and much wider than they look when off piste. They are a really great ski and the only thing lacking is my ability to fully exploit them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mgrolf, at 65kgs you're way too light to get the best out of the Brahmas. Even at the shorter 173 length the Brahmas will ski stiffer and less precise because you are too light to "drive" them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That bears out my experience, I rented 17/18 Brahmas and struggled ... too full on, then swapped to 16/17 Brahmas which I got on with. My conclusion was that Brahmas set the benchmark of being too stiff for me ... I am now thinking Nordica Navigator 85s or 90s or Salomon XDR 88s
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The construction of the current/new 17/18 Brahma is unchanged from the previous couple of years (since they added the carbon tip'n'tail) meaning that the flex is unchanged too.

The difference between the 17/18 and the previous versions are a slightly flatter nose shape, a whisker more camber, a slightly shorter/lower tip rocker profile (which is hard to spot) and the reduction in radius from 19m to 17m (180cm length).

I don't know whether the sidecut reduction makes the ski feel more aggressive to some but the new version is definately not stiffer. It's basically just the same ski but it's now has just a bit more hard snow emphasis.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimastaaah, that's pretty much what I was expecting, but you never know till you try. I was surprised by the kendo, as I thought it was pretty much as stiff.

@DavidYacht, I set out looking for the Navigator but none of the shops here had Nordica skis so I'll have to look elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The construction of the current/new 17/18 Brahma is unchanged from the previous couple of years (since they added the carbon tip'n'tail) meaning that the flex is unchanged too.

The difference between the 17/18 and the previous versions are a slightly flatter nose shape, a whisker more camber, a slightly shorter/lower tip rocker profile (which is hard to spot) and the reduction in radius from 19m to 17m (180cm length).

I don't know whether the sidecut reduction makes the ski feel more aggressive to some but the new version is definately not stiffer. It's basically just the same ski but it's now has just a bit more hard snow emphasis.

Without doubt there was a noticeable difference, and the change was on the advice of the ski technician at the hire shop (Freeski in Meribel).

I should point out that I don’t blame the ski, it is more of a reflection of my own inabilities, I am not overly heavy and I am probably too far back on my skis.

Having looked at the Blizzard Ski catalogue, I note that they do a range of Brahmas in a hire spec, and I wonder if there is any difference in stiffness compared with the retail versions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm about 90kg in ski gear and having skied Brahma's twice (2 weeks total) found them to be excellent. I would guess I'm about the right weight to extract the best from them though.
snow report
@mgrolf, you need to assert your authority! Very Happy
latest report
mgrolf wrote:
It seems a bit bizarre that I've found two supposedly burly chargers so different. I don't usually ski really fast, and I'm not the strongest, so I wasn't surprised that the brahmas were too much. But the Kendos were a surprise. Any ideas why?

It might have been the bindings (different delta angles).
snow report
@DB, both were marker demos.
@Grandma Sunshine, maybe. Or perhaps I'm just not good enough!
snow report
I organise the PROSKILAB ski reviews and have tested both. These two skis are among the very best you can find in this "narrow" all-mountain segment that we call "all mountain 70/30" in France, "All-mountain front" or "All-mountain east" in the US. I would add the Stormrider 88 by Stöckli, maybe slightly more versatile, but also more expensive.

The Kendo is slightly stiffer and have a larger turn radius than the Brahma. All three are excellent skis, efficient on-piste and quite able in off-piste.

Hervé
snow report
I thought the Kendo was stiffer than the Brahma but then reading up it looks like I mixed the Kendo up with the Katana.
As far as I can see the Kendo has one sheet of metal while the Brahma has 2.5 making the Brahma much stiffer.
With only 65 kg a stiff ski will be hard work and will wear you out.
ski holidays
Kendo and Brahma were compared in the PROSKILAB 2017 ski reviews. That means that they were tested by the same (professional) testers in the same snow conditions... Kendo was described as a stiffer and more performance oriented model.

I tested both skis at this time and fully agree. I retested the 2019 Kendo one month ago. I haven't retested the Brahma but have nor heard of any change.

Nothing to do with the Katana which is a much larger ski, and from what I heard, indeed very stiff.

Happy
latest report
@proskilab,

How many sheets of metal does the Kendo have and have they made it stiffer recently by changing the construction? (e.g. adding a metal layer)
latest report
As ski reviewers, we are very careful not to take into account construction or marketing data from brands. Metal layers may make the difference... or not, depending on many factors. In fact we do not want to know how many layers of metal a ski has.

We solely evaluate skis based on their behavior on the snow and do not want testers to be influenced by marketing speeches.

I didn't see any noticeable difference in the 2019 Kendo, but the real test in march will give us some more information.
snow report
@proskilab out of interest have you ever tested the Nordica Navigator 85 or 90, the Salomon XDR 88 or the Brahma CA; all of these skis have had good reviews over the pond, as slightly less stiff 85 to 90 all mountain carvers, but do not appear in the Proskilab reviews.

Is this because the manufacturers don’t want to play?

Also, there is much emphasis on professional reviewers, so how do they relate to mere mortals?
snow report
Opinion seems to be mixed on which are the stiffer skis.

Brahma Flex = Stiff
https://abetterski.com/ski-reviews/blizzard-brahma-ski-review/

Kendo Flex = Medium to stiff
https://abetterski.com/ski-reviews/volkl-kendo-all-mountain-frontside-ski-review-and-video/

Suspect the Kendo has been beefed up in recent years.
snow report
@DB, Sadly the ski reviewer is lacking in real-skier-insight with the Brahma. Shoot him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
snow report
https://www.sport-bittl.com/en/voelkl-kendo-15-16::84853.html
snow report
DB wrote:

Which brings us right back to the original premise...and I'm still no clearer on whether or not I should be surprised that I liked one but not the other. Only 1 solution, more testing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mgrolf, we tested various skis at the start of last season all with similar geometries.

Very surprising the differences (all on Marker Squires I think so no delta issues).
snow conditions
[quote="mgrolf"]
DB wrote:

YIKES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Toofy Grin
snow report
The one thing no one has mentioned here is weight. Jeez, my Kendos weigh a ton!!
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
The one thing no one has mentioned here is weight. Jeez, my Kendos weigh a ton!!

My 17/18 180cm Brahmas are 1991g & 2007g so pretty much bang on 2kg average. I've just mounted a new pair 17/18 177cm Kendos in my shop and they averaged out at 1930g so length for length they're nigh on identical.

I've skied both 17/18 skis back to back and, apart from the sidecut, they feel very similar to me and any differences in flex is probably more to do with the snow conditions than anything else.

For a prospective buyer I'd say the choice between is really down to sidecut preference (17m for the Brahma & 21m for the Kendo).
snow conditions
Following this thread avidly!
I’m 6’3 95kg have 2010 volkl mantras 184cm and looking now to replace-Love the mantras even in bumps they are just a bit difficult on hard pack/shorter turns. Looking at the brahmas just a bit concerned that I will miss my mantras off piste/ chalky bumps Are the Brahmas the right replacement ? Or do I buy new mantras?
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
DB wrote:

Which brings us right back to the original premise...and I'm still no clearer on whether or not I should be surprised that I liked one but not the other. Only 1 solution, more testing Toofy Grin

Was it a recent model Kendo? - older reviews talk about one sheet of metal, newer reviews of 2 sheets.
Maybe the binding was mounted further back - I have an old pair of skis with a binding that can be moved forward for piste skiing and back for offpiste.
snow conditions
retsil wrote:
Following this thread avidly!
I’m 6’3 95kg have 2010 volkl mantras 184cm and looking now to replace-Love the mantras even in bumps they are just a bit difficult on hard pack/shorter turns. Looking at the brahmas just a bit concerned that I will miss my mantras off piste/ chalky bumps Are the Brahmas the right replacement ? Or do I buy new mantras?

The Mantra equivalent from Blizzard is the Bonafide at 98mm underfoot, not the 88mm Brahma.
ski holidays
As @spyderjon, says.

Next year’s Mantra M5 getting marmite review. Sounds a little easier, softer, but needing of a testing...
ski holidays
DB, sorry should have been clearer. Thinking may go narrower for next set for the on piste performance . Would prefer to be off piste all the time but inevitably 50/50. Find the Mantras generally great but most limited on hardpack and varying turn shape in these conditions is an effort. Hoping brahmas/ kendos may suit in this respect but wondering how comparable in bumps, crud, chopped up powder etc. I suppose really need to try them !
snow report
Skiing my kendo's all round the mountains atm from knee to thigh powder, crud, bumps and groomed - performing effortlessly Toofy Grin

I dont feel they are heavy either compared to my old AC80's.

Sorry typo last night it should be AC 50 Toofy Grin time zones eh

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 3-03-18 13:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I m thinking of upgrading from AC80's to the kendo too,
snow report
@retsil, you just need to edge/work the Mantras more on hardpack. And keep the edges sharp.

Why do you need to replace them? Our 2010s did ~300 days...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy