Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

‘Get me to the slopes, get me to the slopes on time...’ - which vehicle?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Alastair, Be careful with the wheels / tyres on the Merc GLC. There have been well documented problems with the GLC almost driving the front rims off the tyres with the larger wheels with low profile tyres. Merc now off higher profile all season tyres as a no charge option because the more flexible side walls, to an extent, to mask the problem. This appears to have been caused by the way that Merc set up the front differential and steering geometry when they adapted the car for RHD. A search of the UK Merc forums will give you more info.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jtr, yes, thanks for that. I would be using all season tyres anyway and wouldn't be going for low profile tyres which I regard as detrimental to comfort.

Having been looking at the latest info, I see that Mercedes have introduced an 'All Terrain' E class only available with 20" rims. On what basis would that make any sense?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair, The 20 inch rims make no sense to me either but I’m sure they appeal to the bling brigade. BTW, Merc don’t offer a spare wheel but compatible space savers are available on eBay, although they can take up a fair amount of boot space
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, just realised that the official measurements for the yeti re width and skoda octavia include the wing mirrors, while the measurements for the Amarok are for the body width excluding the mirrors. So we could get the Amarok in the garage in CH but I couldn't open the doors. So two weeks sleeping and eating in the car is the only proposition if we get that. Shame.

So...list is gravitating to Octavia Scout, Yeti 4x4 and Tiguan 4Motion.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jtr, ...jeesh....shades of the Ford Explorer controversy in the States - allegedly Ford messed up on the suspension design and masked it by advising very low tyre pressures and Bridgestone only tyres, then there were plenty of instances of tyres overheating and blowing out at speed. With dire results. But then Merc seems to have lost their way a bit....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, I don’t think the GLC problem is dangerous as such but on turning the steering a fair amount the tyre has to skip across the road because it can’t follow the correct arc and the sidewall has been put under some stress. The tyre has lost some grip at that point. The Merc forums have some pretty unhappy GLC owners. (and I’ve seen reports that with some of the very wide tyres on other vehicles ( not Mercs) , the very width of the tyre means that the conventional Ackermann steering setup can’t cope)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@valais2, you should have the Kodiaq on your shortlist - yesterday I parked mine alongside an Audi Q5 and did a quick comparison. The Skoda and the Audi have very similarly sized cabins but the Skoda has a noticeably bigger boot. For much less money!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

We've got an Octavia Scout with a spare set of 16" wheels and winter tyres.

That's what we have and I think it's pretty much perfect for trips to the alps. Comfortable, very spacious despite being sensible size, not too pricey and with 180BHP is plenty powerful enough. We had a couple of 5 series estates before and the scout is just as roomy. Unless you go for something massive like a disco, the estate format is more useful for load lugging than a boxier compact SUV. We get four pair of skis through the ski hole inside the skoda ski bag which cost only £70. I paid something like £500 for the extra (skoda alloy) wheels and winter tyres. Swap them myself avoiding the cost and faff of the tyre shop.

When we bought it (new) I was considering a secondhand A6 allroad (A4 allroad is a bit too small) - the deal we got on the skoda was less brand new than an A6 allroad with 60k on it. Decent spec too (front assist, lane assist, heated seats/windscreen/water jets).

What's not to like?
Badge? Yawn.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What's not to like?
Badge? Yawn.

The badge on wife's skoda did go "off colour", a slightly yellow tinge, but in the general scheme of things it is a tiny fault. What was the fault with yours?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
none that I can see. But people seem to think its worth paying more for a 4x4 VW golf estate which is it seems to me an objectively inferior vehicle. Must be some reason?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

What's not to like?
Badge? Yawn.

The badge on wife's skoda did go "off colour", a slightly yellow tinge, but in the general scheme of things it is a tiny fault. What was the fault with yours?

I imagine the fault was the word "Skoda" being written on it........ NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy