Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zipfit Liners

Poster: A snowHead
Yo

Have 120'd out my boot liners and having read around Zipfit seem to be getting the nod.

I have custom footbeds which are still a-OK so I was wondering if another 'fitting' is 100% necessary, especially given the awkwardness of my current geography...

Also, seem to be a few different Zf models; any ones you guys would specifically recommend for freeride (alpine), given my high arch/wide feet/narrow ankle/big calf peculiarities?

Cheers in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oz5000, pucka (very hot) heat fitting is a must with Zips, not just to form the lining to your foot but also to form the outside of the liner to your boot. AFAIK the differences in the liners are in thickness only so your shell gap will determine your model choice. It's now possible to add extra fluid/cork to the liner were extra padding is needed. CEM is the expert so best to ask him then book an appointment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oz5000, they're great liners bit I wouldn't mess around getting them fitted by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Well worth a visit to CEM at Solutions4Feet in Bicester to get them right. He fitted my Zipfits, and I'd say it's well worth making a lengthy journey to get a decent fit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with the muppets above wink But there is a video of a bloke DIYing a zipfit moulding.

Pretty cool too, I'll see if I can find it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc, I feel embraced by the warm glow of community Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolute doddle to fit, easily done at home if you have a microwave and an oven that you can fit the shells in. You will need footbeds however, so that should not however be done at home, no matter how light you Victoria Sponge
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what's the lifespan of a footbed? Mine have done 200 days on snow now, windlass jobs but I'm not sure on brand. Foamed liners have the same amount of days and I'm considering Zipfit as the next step since I can't imagine they'll hold up perfectly for another season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice one fellas. Have footbeds with plenty of life in them still, but looks like a trip to Oxon to get the liners fitted correctly might not be a bad call...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oz5000, we have just had all next seasons liners delivered a couple of weeks back, of the 6 models zip fit make we carry 4 the two we don't hold in stock are the classic (designed for oversize boots) ands the tour this is a low cuff version of the classic, we carry the heli pro as a substitute for touring boots.... other than that we have grand prix, world cup, and world cup gara (ultra thin fr race boots or fat feet in normal boots)

as smallzookeeper says it is possible to mold them yourself, although i wouldn't put them in the microwave any more, and heating the shells is quite an important part of the process to get the best mold from the liner
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oz5000, Some decent painkillers are a good idea too, until they bed in.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, duly noted, cheers!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oz5000, he is just a wimp Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oz5000, No he's not kidding - but once they do bed in, best thing since sliced bread. I am really happy with mine Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arent they pretty pricey? like pricey enough that you may well get a deal on complete noew boots if you time it / buy one model back?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
barry, Zip-Fit liners are about £200, the benefit in fit is worth it.
snow report
barry, depends, once i've sorted new heel/toe pieces my shells should be good for another year (i hope), as are the footbeds, but liners are packed out to fack.

Boils down to c£250 vs c£450 and supposedly zipfit have c3x life expectancy of boot-supplied liners too, not to mention the increased responsiveness i can expect/hope to get (yada yada).

Basically I need new liners or new boots; so seems to me liners make economic sense (unless i need to remortgage to keep myself in 800mg ibuprofen, obviously...)
snow conditions
Given my shells are in Fernie (28.5 SM14s from 2 years ago), and no-one sells Zipfit in Canada, is it worth taking the correct size out (and if so, what is it?) rather than just getting new foam injected liners from the place I got my boots fitted? The guys are highly thought of and about as close to CEM/SZK type reputation as I'm going to find in a 4 hour radius for a long time, but injection foam doesn't really get much airtime over Intutitions on TGR and Zipfits here, so I'm interested to see if anyone has any thoughts directly comparing them?
latest report
DaveC, I had Comformable Pro Foam in a pair of Raptors before my present Atomic/Zip-Fit Gara.
Differences:
Foam is freezing cold in comparison to Zip-Fit.
Responsiveness: I'd say was pretty much the same
Comfort: I think the Zip-Fit is more comfortable, it adapts throughout the day. Foam was instantly comfortable, Zip-Fits take a while to bed in and become perfect.
Durability: Zip-Fit is longer lasting and can be moved from one boot to another, unlike foam.

Size is the same as your shell size, but which model depends on the shell check gap. even with me having the Gara model which is the thinnest, so you can't just buy Zip-Fits without having an assessment to decide which model is best for you. I couldn't do the shells up properly for the first 5-6 times of wearing them, until the cork moved to the right places in the liner, with the ensuing agony to go with it. I thought I'd made a big mistake getting them at first they were so uncomfortable, but after about a week's use everything just became perfect, as if they were a different pair of boots all of a sudden. Worth the agony for sure. Very Happy
ski holidays
DaveC, lou rosenfeld sells them i am sure www.lous.ca
ski holidays
surprised they havent teamed up with a boot maker to create the ultimate boot then?? or have they?? seems like it might be a seller (as long as the cost wasnt fully incremental, and maybe not for the average punter - though folk do buy stuff!)
snow report
Cheers guys. It's weird given that this time around I'm thinking about new boots for that last notch of performance - last time I was working out what to do, boot wise, it was because my first pair hurt and didn't fit. My current pair seem to be a suitable flex, pretty much perfect shell wise, get a bit of cramping sometimes in the outside of one foot when i'm doing a lot of walking, but they're tight shell wise and definitely accurate - without any discomfort skiing, so the idea of "upgrading" is a bit scary, especially expense wise if they don't work out! Not sure if I should go for just Zipfits, just foamed, or new shells and beds too this year... hmm.... probably more suitable to the other boot thread!
snow report
I really don't understand this stuff about ZipFit being uncomfortable to start with. I'm now on my second pair. The first pair I was sold (not by CEM) were a bit dodgy and never fitted right around the heel, but everywhere else fitted like a glove from the off and improved my skiing overnight (well, once I got used to the increased responsiveness). The second pair (WC Ltd), fitted by CEM, have been perfect from the get go - any discomfort has been from the shells I got at the same time and the need to fit them around my rather inconvenient bunions (and we may need another shot at that Sad ). Get them fitted right and there's no need for any discomfort at all.
ski holidays
GrahamN, CEM fitted mine and I was in agony to start with. The most I could tolerate them on for at first was about 20 minutes. He said they'd take several days skiing to be comfortable. Massaging the flow pack in the tongue as advised by Scott Dobson, to move the flow from above the top of my foot to further up on my shin was the revelation in them being instantly more comfortable, there was too much material over the top of my foot. It would have moved eventually no doubt, but I would have burnt them before that would have happened. I think that as you can get the WC Zipfit in your shells you must have a lot more room in yours to start with, having such a close shell fit anything in the wrong place in mine just kills, even the Gara model only just fits.
latest report
OK, I must have just been lucky - or you just unlucky.
snow report
GrahamN, Spydermans boots are tight in terms of length and mostly volume, that and he is a very sensitive sole! some people get into the zip fit fine straight off, others take a few days of skiing to get them right, a lot depends on the shell fit and the individual, mostly how closely their foot conforms to the shell and areas where the liner is thick or thin, how much heat you genrate form your foot acn also be a factor as the cork material flows more when warm.... interestingly you skied yours hard outside first few days whereas Spyderman was in hemel... there is very littleactual skiing in a fridge and no heat on the shells form the sun either so this may be another reason
snow conditions
GrahamN, my Zipfits were very painful for the first 5 days of skiing them and I was wondering if I'd made a mistake getting them. Then, as if someone had thrown a switch, the 6th day was perfect. Close fit all round my foot but no painful pressure anywhere, and it felt like I'd been welded to my skis because they suddenly became very response. But maybe like Spyderman I'm just a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain?

Wink
ski holidays
Sounds like the best thing to do with new Zipfits is go and ski on a dryslope in summer, that cork material will flow in five minutes!
snow report
barry wrote:
surprised they havent teamed up with a boot maker to create the ultimate boot then?? or have they?? seems like it might be a seller (as long as the cost wasnt fully incremental, and maybe not for the average punter - though folk do buy stuff!)

The standard liners in several brands of race boot use the same materials as Zipfit ones.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another 'painful enough to cry' until they bedded in - around 10 days skiing for me. No question I had a tight shell fit and a large Zipfit. I then skied well over 400 days on the liners and only had the cork topped up once. My old shells died before the liners.
snow report
rjs wrote:
barry wrote:

The standard liners in several brands of race boot use the same materials as Zipfit ones.

some use very very small amounts of a similar cork flow material, IT IS NOT the same stuff and generally only in the ankle region
snow report
My Zipfits were comfy from the 1st day. CEM injected more gooey material into various places once the liner had flowed to fill spaces around my feet in the shell. I have very low volume feet and CEM has worked hard to get the filler in the right places. Pain killers not required and I do have very sensitive feet Little Angel

I still think Salomon boots are wellies. I tried the stock liners and they were just dire after using Zipfits Toofy Grin
latest report
Booked in with CEM next week, cheers for all your input guys... snowHead
snow conditions
oz5000 wrote:
Booked in with CEM next week, cheers for all your input guys... snowHead

Enjoy the pies
ski holidays
I is vegethairyarse - i trust they cater?
snow conditions
oz5000 wrote:
I is vegethairyarse - i trust they cater?

Avoid the pies and stick with the beer Toofy Grin
snow report
Have yet to be offered pie or beer. Sad However, more than satisfied with services and goods supplied, including ZipFits.
ski holidays
I've had two pairs of Zippy Fitty Liners (Lockwoods and Solutions for Free) with no particular pain issues.

But I am nails wink
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
I've had two pairs of Zippy Fitty Liners (Lockwoods and Solutions for Free) with no particular pain issues.

But I am nails wink

No sense, no feeling. wink Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman, cutting!

True.

But cutting. Laughing
snow conditions
I've had my Grand Prix Zipfits topped up previously at Solutions 4 Feet
I've messaged CEM
Meanwhile has anybody bought the Spotfit Kit/Tubes of Filler for Zipfits in the UK?
Cheers

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-03-16 3:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy