Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern

Poster: A snowHead
Had a nice week in obertauern for half term. Easy transfer of about 1.5 hours from Salzburg (although there was a lot of traffic). Not many queues at all and lifts were very efficient. We had some sun but also snow. Lots of it. Nothing to do in resort (except eat and drink) if weather stops play though. Lots of restaurants both in town and on mountain. Apres seemed concentrated on Lurzer Alme and people seemed to be having a great time. Only one supermarket (Spar) which was heaving in late afternoons (20+ people in front me in the queue one day - nightmare). Because of heavy snow the pistes suffered and were a bit churned up and mogully, even quite early in the day. Stayed at Haus Isobella which was very nice, spacious and clean.

All in all we had a good time but wouldn’t return simply as there wasn’t anything to do if not skiing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stayed there before. Very pleasant for self catering.
Agreed, the only local activities if you don’t fancy the weather are drinking, eating then drinking ..
You could go to radstat for the day but with a load of snow you might struggle to get back!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We drive through Radstadt on the way home but it seemed a bit industrial and not much there. Is that the case or is there more to it that we didn’t see? Just wondering
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the other direction is Mauterndorf castle nearby and has interesting history.
Town also looks nice but never went there .
Not sure how accessible though by public transport or if you'd need a car.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Regular bus to Mauterndorf and the smallish ski area is part of the Obertauern pass
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bambionskiis, Radstadt is a historic walled town. Very picturesque and a proper working town with shops, businesses, schools, restaurants, farms, hotels, train station, etc. It's not a purpose-built ski station. However, it does have it's own small ski area shared with neighbouring Altenmarkt, with tree-lined pistes so good visibility in poor weather. It is also in the heart of Ski Amadé and in easy reach of many neighbouring ski areas all on the same lift pass.

Admittedly you can't see much from the main road, but there is a glimpse of the town walls and the church spire.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take a drive down the old road rather than the motorway. Far more interesting.
Tho any passengers may throw up with all the twisty turns bits !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah right, I thought there was probably more. Shame we didn’t get to see it as I love a castle and walled town.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just booked for Obertauern for 10 March. Not our first choice of resort but I wanted Austria, a hotel with a pool, and not more than a few minutes walk to a lift. He wanted to spend less than a grand each! Laughing So hotel Schütz has been booked with Crystal. No March bargains this year, in fact, prices were rising over the days I was looking.

Anyway, not been before so any advice would be welcome. There doesn't seem much info on snowHeads when I searched. Perhaps it's too tame/not gnarly enough to be popular Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@maggi, I’ve been twice. Once on an impromptu weekend trip with some Snowheads and last year with my son and Scarpa. I’ll be out there that week staying in Radstadt and have a lift pass that covers Obertauern and my car, so could well be up for a trip over there to be sociable. It’s a good ski area with a reputation for bad visibility but on both occasions I’ve been it’s been great weather. There are some nice runs and I’m sure you’ll both enjoy it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geepee wrote:
could well be up for a trip over there to be sociable.

Well, that sounds lovely! I'm all for being sociable snowHead . Feel free to PM me and let me know what day suits you and where to meet up. Presume both our phone numbers are on the snowHeads BB list too. We have no plans at all, (except for sleeping on the 10th as the flight is at 6.00am Shocked ). I'm looking forward to it already Cool .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That’s a good price I’d say. We went half term and the self catering apartment alone was £1700!

I know what you mean about lack of info on here about it. Many I’m sure would consider it a tame resort but for a nervous intermediate like me, I found it challenging and with more than enough to keep me going. Apparently you can ski around the village in 4 hours, but that was never going to happen for me!

The fact you have a pool is really good because as I say, there is nothing to do except ski, eat and drink. We found the very-out-of-the-way sports centre including bowling alley, gym etc but it wasn’t much to write home about so we didn’t bother staying. There are a couple of gift shops and a very grand tourist information office in the centre.

We were by the gamsleiten lift so the other side from you. I can’t add much as I didn’t explore “your side” much except for the area around the eidelweiss lift. On “our side” You can take the gondola up to a very long blue (1a I believe) which the family loved. The Spot snowpark is apparently good but is the other end of the village so we never made it that way. Probably worth a look for you though.

You’ll have a great time I’m sure; if I was a more competent skiier I would have enjoyed it more Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@maggi, My sons and grandson are leaving on the 11th, so airport duties that day and I’m planning on meeting up with Frosty the Snowman that week too in Flachau. I’ll probably go by snow forecasts for a good day to get over. Yes, phone number as per BB.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bambionskiis, thanks! Skiing, eating and drinking, (along with swimming), sounds like a great ski holiday to me. I can never get OH out of the hotel after dinner anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@geepee, that's fine. Say hello to Frosty for me if you see him first!
ski holidays
@maggi, my lift pass covers Obertauern so I can come and meet you one day too!
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, that would be great! I knew you were around the area somewhere but I presumed you had to work all week and wouldn't have the time. I guess it would have to be Sunday 11th? Unless you "work from home"/have a flexible schedule? Let me know what suits. It would be lovely to see you again and hear all your news. snowHead
snow conditions
@maggi, I work Mondays to Thursdays, so Friday or Sunday works for me, I assume you are travelling on Saturdays.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, yes, travelling Saturdays so that's out. Sunday or Friday works for us but Sunday may be a bit chaotic as we won't know where anything is! Have you been there before? I'm quite happy for you to choose the day. Maybe you want to see the weather forecast nearer the time? I take it you still have my phone number, although I guess you now have a new Austrian one so maybe you could text/PM me with it. Really looking forward to this holiday now. Both geepee and you to ski with! Cool
latest report
The edelwiess side of the main road is better to ski on if your a beginner or intermediate.
It’s the sunny bit...
The other side of the road has less runs/area. It’s the typical village ski resort original bit on the shady side so the snow lasts longer.. handy come Easter time in the afternoons .. it also has gamslieten 2. A great black run when it’s has powder on it ..
Don’t be put off looking at a piste map, you can get anywhere in the resort in no time..
It’s not a big ski area and the runs are short .. food beer etc on the slopes , well I don’t think I’ve ever been to a poor place up there . My personal fave is the mankelhiem , tho with kids you will enjoy the edelwiess bar more. Special mention to bar Austria for a morning coffee or beer if your bored of the latest trending euro pop ski crap music . They have last year upgraded the dog sled bar . Which depressed me greatly as all the old footy flags and scarfs have gone. And everyone’s messages written on the old wooden walls.
snow report
@CANV CANVINGTON, thanks.
snow report
Canv I really wish I’d have explored that side more. I think it depends on how decent a skiier you are as to how long “shirt runs” are. I fell over 3 times on the blue from the top of the gondola on the gamsleiten side so it felt bloody long to me Very Happy (I’d like to say a special thank you here to the people who stopped to help me - especially the gorgeous snowboard instructor!!).

We tended to have coffee or got chocolate at lunchtimes (we don’t eat then so can’t comment on food) but were happy with the places at the bottom of the eidelweiss lifts. Lurzer Alme was a bit too smokey for us.

If you don’t like loud noises, avoid Der Turne (bottom of gamsleiten) as they have a wierd thing of hammering a nail into a barrel for some reason. Glasses also got smashed on that barrel when we were there, which I assume was an accident.

Glad I started this thread as it’s facilitated a meet. Have a great time guys.
ski holidays
The run down from the bubble car back to gamslieten is one of the longest ... and can get a bit tricky later in the day when it gets bumpy .
If you stay in haus isabella again walk down to the hotel enzian car park and onto the ski path at the end of it.. ski over the bridge and your on the sunny side 😎
snow conditions
bambionskiis wrote:
Lurzer Alme was a bit too smokey for us.

Ah, that's the kind of useful information I need!

Next question! Are there any T bar lifts? I was reading some site on the internet where all the surface lifts in Obertauern were described as T bars. I'm hoping it's just bad translation Shocked as I hate them!
snow conditions
There's one T Bar and a couple of buttons but they can be avoided or ignored
latest report
Hi @maggi, having skied there I’d agree with @Garfield, you don’t need to use any of the drag lifts.
snow report
Cheers, both! Don't mind buttons but have had bad experiences with actual Ts. Only do them if they're unavoidable en route to somewhere.
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, @maggi, let me know when you are up there and I will pop along too, I havent skied up there at all this season Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No need to use any t bars unless it’s for the nursery slopes ..
Most chairs have covers now and a fair few are heated .. the notable exceptions being the two chairs taking you back up to the eidelwise run.. especially the chair coming back from the seekerhaus area.. that often comes with a stiff breeze right in your face.. smoking is allowed after 6 I think in most bars
But I’ve never noticed it as a problem .
@maggi, I’ve just noticed where your hotel is. There is a T bar behind the Perner Hotel that makes getting on the circuit easier on that side..
But I,d walk down to the Snow White hotel. Cross the bridge and get going from there
ski holidays
@Kooky, I haven't skied up there at all ever!
latest report
@queenie pretty please, It has some great runs.
ski holidays
I love it up there but only on a good viz day! Some great runs as Scarpa said the 2man chair with the steep black is always fun!
snow report
@CANV CANVINGTON, thanks. Very useful info. @Kooky, would love to meet you - I've met @Scarpa before! Shocked Laughing However, be warned that we are English Holiday Skiers not Gnarly Dudes!
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
The run down from the bubble car back to gamslieten is one of the longest ... and can get a bit tricky later in the day when it gets bumpy .
If you stay in haus isabella again walk down to the hotel enzian car park and onto the ski path at the end of it.. ski over the bridge and your on the sunny side 😎

We only found out about the enzian shortcut on the penultimate day unfortunately. We doing gamsleiten and then down last the haus to get to eidelweiss - doh! So wish I’d posted whilst we were there.

I know what you mean about t bars maggi; I hate them. Don’t go to Trysil in Norway if that’s the case as it’s full of them - some of which I found terrifying.

We generally didn’t find smoke an issue there actually and were probably just unlike the two times we went. Nice party atmosphere there though.
snow report
@maggi, last time I checked I wasnt a gnarly dude either wink
Yep, def meet up, I shall liase with queenie! Very Happy
ski holidays
Kooky wrote:
@maggi, last time I checked I wasnt a gnarly dude either wink
Yep, def meet up, I shall liase with queenie! Very Happy

Me too please. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
That is my type of ski lift!

latest report
@BobinCH, thats the one! I love that run Madeye-Smiley There is also a really great skitour off the back of that.
snow report
Kooky wrote:
last time I checked I wasnt a gnarly dude either wink

Kooky wrote:
thats the one! I love that run Madeye-Smiley There is also a really great skitour off the back of that.

Yeah, well, have a great time! (If you want me, I'll be in the bar Laughing .)

(Steepest piste in Europe, allegedly, and now I've read that, there's no way I'm going near it!)
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
That is my type of ski lift!

Is that Gamsleiten 2 Bobin? If so it was closed when we were there. Otherwise I would have had loved to have had a go - not!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy