Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Minus 19 in poland next week

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone ever skied in these conditions?
Any tips? Wont the slopes be sheer ice?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wrap up well, get a friend to check you have no exposed skin (eg nose) which will get frostbite after not long. Stop more often than usual for a hot drink.

Slopes won't be sheer ice if they weren't before, but you're less likely to get face shots Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s the same everywhere next week, minus twenties where I am in eastern alps. I layer up, lots of layers, down midlayer & jacket, good base layers, several fleecies. Mitts instead of gloves. Stop when you get to cold and warm up. You won’t get frostbite in that temp but wear a neckie to keep your face warm. Expect the snow condition to be good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our crowd are off to Banff tomorrow, I’ve just thrown a few more thermals in the bag, it’s looking like -21c at Lake Louise!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@poppyb,
Cold temperatures don't turn snow into ice. They turn water into ice. Snow is frozen to begin with.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have universal wax on your skis and the snow is very cold, you may find your skis seem "sticky" and won't slide very well at all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@poppyb,
Yes, many have, if it helps you worry less. It's not that bad, if you prepare well and follow some basic principles.

A lot of heat dissipates from your head, so protect it. Fingers and toes are particularly vulnerable to frostbite, so protect them too. Nose tips, cheeks and earlobes are at risk too. If you feel pain in any of them, get out of the cold. Don't worry, the pain is a warning sign, not a "too late"-sign. If the skin turns white, that's a "too late"-sign. It still doesn't have to be the end of the world, but you should definitely stay out of the cold.

Face: I like to pull up my buff to cover my nose. Others use neoprene face masks. Some use balaclavas.

Toes: Don't make the mistake of wearing thick socks. Blood circulation is of key importance to keeping your feet and toes warm. Many prefer thinner socks when it gets really cold. Thin merino wool socks.

Head: This is a bit tricky, as most beanies are too thick to wear under your helmet. I have a thin one, which fits well. Another trick is to pull up your buff "ninja"-style, to cover everything except your eyes, which are protected by your goggles. I do this as well. Don't worry if the buff gets wet and freezes in front of your mouth.

Fingers: Mitts are warmest. Of course, good gloves are normally better than bad mitts.

The rest of the body: Wool is king. Merino wool is the softest kind of wool. Cotton is your enemy. A lot of people talk about layering, but in my view, layering is best for changing weather, when it might warm up so you need to remove a layer. Mind you, in a mild cold ( -5° to -15°) I think three layers is minimum, but usually about right. Don't go thinking that you should wear 3-4 fleeces between your base and your outer layer. If it's warmer than -5°, I'm quite content with a base, maybe a thin mid layer, and an outer. If it's colder than -15°, a wool jumper keeps me comfortable. In milder conditions, my mid layer is a fleece. My main point is that three, maybe four layers should be right for just about all conditions, as long as you pick the right material

According to the forecast for next week, I'll be skiing in about -25°. I plan to wear a thin polyester base, a medium merino wool mid and possibly a slightly thicker wool jumper underneath my outer layer. My outer is padded, though, but it's not particularly hot. I only really worry about my fingers and my toes.

Bottom line: I recommend wool, merino wool in particular. I also recommend a buff, which is very versatile, a merino buff in particular.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One quirk about Poland, is that unlike most Alpine resorts the runs are very short, so you don't work up much of a sweat...however the lifts are therefore also short, so you're not sitting in the cold for very long!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s honestly not that bad. We were in similar temps to this in Finland a couple of years back. Thermal base layers and face covering balaclava/snood essential though. We had thin “silver foil” insulation socks under our normal ski socks and were fine. Mittens. Wierdly it wasn’t as icy as some resorts we’ve skiid in higher temps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks. Didnt know mitts were better. I just ordered inner gloves
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@poppyb, if you haven’t already got them then do get some hand warmers, the tea bag sort which I find invaluable. And you will just have to take breaks inside for coffee or other hot drinks and a hot meal too, so budget for that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
poppyb wrote:
Thanks. Didnt know mitts were better. I just ordered inner gloves

on a side note(which may or may not be of interest to you?
I would never wear mitts. if I need to pull my air bag I want all my fingers to be able to grip at it.
where abouts in Poland you going?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bailka Tatrzansks - Kotelnica. Inspired by a post on here. Also we toured through there last pre-season and I left a bit of my heart behind in Poland and the Tetra mountains. The people are so laid back and friendly.
You can get a 'Tetry' ski pass to ski in 5 linked resorts all with just a few runs each
It was pretty cheap and should be off the tourist circuit somewhat.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pamski, Thanks i didnt know about those
.@SkiingDad, or merino wool.
Silverfoil socks sound futuristic!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mother hucker, they don’t affect airbag handles and you can get lobster finger mitts for more dexterity
ski holidays
I can’t find the socks we actually bought but these are similar: http://www.easylifegroup.com/product/nasa-thermal-gloves-or-socks-pair/35090

As an aside we had a chance of skiing with friends who live in a Poland this year but it fell through as his job subsequently took him abroad. Such a shame as its a great country. Hope the conditions are good for you.
latest report
Lots of merino products on sale everywhere.
Even ordered a merino full face balaclava for 70% off retail price.
Curious to try out these tea bags!!
snow conditions
@poppyb, ah Białka Tatrzańska I know that very well as we end up there most years! I've been there in -11 and didn't really do anything out of the ordinary (other than invest in a ski mask which now is an essential piece of kit for me)!

The ski pass you mention is here (and its cheaper if you pre-buy): https://tatryski.pl/ there's 9 resorts shown on the website, which is odd as I could have sworn there were 11 last year!

Some are easily derivable from one another (well actually they all are, but some are sub 10 mins, others are further).

Luckily Małopolska half term was the same as English half term this year, so as you say you may get lucky with the crowds!

If you have any questions feel free to ask as we have been there more than anywhere else so know it pretty well!
snow report
poppyb wrote:
Bailka Tatrzansks - Kotelnica. Inspired by a post on here. Also we toured through there last pre-season and I left a bit of my heart behind in Poland and the Tetra mountains. The people are so laid back and friendly.
You can get a 'Tetry' ski pass to ski in 5 linked resorts all with just a few runs each
It was pretty cheap and should be off the tourist circuit somewhat.

it's not off the tourist circuit by any stretch of the imagination.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy