Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys!! Been skiing abroad quite a few times but thinking about making a trip to Scotland.

Can anyone give me any advice re best resorts, quality of snow, runs etc and how it compares to Europe?

Many thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup. Loads of info on the forum suggest a search in the first instance
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out winterhighland.com for the inside info
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys!! I'm new to Snowheads so just trying to find my way about!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
first thing to be remember is that Skiing is Scotland is about as far from skiing in Europe as you can get while actually still being in Europe...

they are called ski centres for a reason, they are not resorts, each location is remote from the nearest town of village and in some cases by quite a distance, so you will need to drive if you want to visit. The lifts are mostly drag lifts due to the wind but we are getting a few 2nd hand chairs being installed, areas are pretty small and runs pretty short but.....

when the sun is shining the views are some of the best in the world in my opinion, you can do a quick weekend or week trip and ski multiple areas within the same trip, the off piste is some of the most accessible in Europe, the runs are completely natural, no motorways up here and they have natural features....big rocks, burns, big holes (haggis trap) the snow currently is superb and very deep so will be around for a while.

The people who you meet will be some of the friendliest you ever find.

Skiing in Scotland is awesome but it is not Europe.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks enduroaid. Really appreciate the summary.

Sounds like something I need to experience!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This site will give you information on all the areas, https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/active/skiing-snowsports/, they all have their own websites and are on Facebook and Twitter. @enduroaid, has put it very well but the main thing to watch out for is the wind as that can close the lifts on the sunniest of days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you come at it from the Point of View that skiing in Scotland is poo-poo, then you may have a great time. But think of it as a completely different sport to the skiing you've had in Europe. I've got a love/hate relationship with Scottish skiing. Swore never to book a week in advance and have done twice, both trips ended after two days when we binned it and went home in torrential unremitting downpours/gales which were forecast to last the rest of the week. Also had some truly awful weekends with the kids.

Having said which, I've probably had 40 good days skiing in Scotland, including most of the best ski days of my life. Lapping the back corries on those rare days when the snow is good, the weather is ok and the queues are small is just excellent.

Hiking up to Coronation wall repeatedly to ski powder in late May was another highlight.

Skiing Glenshee endlessly back in the foot and mouth year when the Scottish operators seemed to be the only people in UK with a brain was also excellent.

Skiing the dark side of the Coe chairlift on bottomless powder whilst half the population of Scotland was stuck behind snowdrifts on the A82 was definitely the best. Though I appreciate it wasn't so good for the people on the A82.

anyway
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do it now, the winds are low the sun is out and the snow is good. Do not wait for the weekend, Thursday and Friday will be better due to less queuing.

It is better than Europe, but only because it is not in Europe and because people generally do not speak French or German. Also, in Europe on piste skiing is very much de rigueur. In Scotland, when there is lots of snow, it is often difficult to determine where the piste is. You just ski downwards, and learn to ski in off piste conditions.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 23-02-18 15:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing in Scotland is gnarly!!

As said above, forget everything you think about skiing when in Europe, comfy chair lifts, corduroy pistes, luxuries mountain restaurants etc. etc. and think of it as a whole new experience. It's hard work up there but if you get good snow it is amazing.

Lets face it, everyone has to ski / ride in Scotland at least once.

Enjoy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its all about timing, you just need alignment of sunny weather, reasonable snow, not the weekend and not school holidays, then you can have a perfect day.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scottish Tourist Board will have those photos! Very Happy

Looks terrific - 2nd pic is Head Wall Cairngorm isn't it?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimboS wrote:
Its all about timing, you just need alignment of sunny weather, reasonable snow, not the weekend and not school holidays, then you can have a perfect day.

I think for me that is the problem. At the moment I am restricted to school holidays. If I wasn't the weekend would be the best shout. But its needs to be a last minute decision. So you can't plan anything. You just have to flexible and ready to drop everything and go. Maybe when I am retired...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timing is, indeed, everything skiing Scotland - ten days ago I had a bluebird at Glencoe.

Today is a classic example of the different Scottish weather. Beautiful and sunny in Edinburgh, cold but almost no wind - ideal skiing conditions........

However, I wanted to go to glenshee today and decided not to bother after checking the forecast last night - fog, grrrr

Glenshee webcam shows the fog is just about lifting there and its 12.30, not really worth the trip for a Colonel Gadaffi.

Next week, perhaps
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its also a matter of where you are travelling from. We are very lucky, living in Aberdeen, we can go up to Glenshee, Lecht or Cairngorm, all between 1 - 2 hours, at the drop of a hat. So if a Wednesday looks bluebird and we can get time off work on short notice, then its great. Even at the weekend it can be quiet depending on what else is going on (I was up 2 1/2 weeks ago at Glenshee day after Scotland v Wales rugby so suspect there were a few hangovers, as well as half term approaching for those going overseas, and it was relatively empty. Lecht last weekend for Lecht winter games wasn't too busy either). If you're travelling from further than (e.g.) central belt of Scotland, it starts to become more time consuming and you are starting to rely on the forecast being more accurate etc to make it worthwhile. To be honest, if I lived down south, I wouldn't bother booking way in advance, but if you can be flexible with holidays and can get a long weekend or week at short notice and you don't mind mixing it up with other stuff (its unlikely you'll get a full week skiing, but it can happen) then potentially a bet. Its all about mindset....so don't expect the Alps.....but in all it is substantially cheaper.
ski holidays
@Klammertime, Yes first one is the plateau, then the head wall.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy