Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc 15/18 Feb 2006

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Loads of snow Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Totally useful info.

Thanks mate!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tahoe_Ski, anytime my man, anytime.

I could add that it was also very windy during those dates, that no upper lifts ran and most of the area closed early on the 17th, but as that's been and gone it is of even less use. But if you want to go now there is, for want of a better expression, loads of snow. When compared to the days prior to that when there was, dare I say, hardly any snow, that's probably a good thing. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
so could you cope with nasty heavy European "powder" marc after being spoilt in Utah Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregh, er, not as well as I expected I must admit Embarassed .

It was really heavy, I think the temp was only around freezing as it first came down and although this dropped each day it was still an eye opener for me.

Snow up to knee high was fairly doable (for me) with a bit of style. But anything deeper had me floundering about and perfecting my backwards roll to keep the skis below me when I stopped. I don't think I had the confidence to pick up the speed needed to get the skis towards the top of the snow before I started to put in turns.rolling eyes

More practice still needed I'm afraid. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill wrote:
gregh, I don't think I had the confidence to pick up the speed needed to get the skis towards the top of the snow before I started to put in turns.rolling eyes

More practice still needed I'm afraid. snowHead

Or more new skis Wink

I suffer the same problem in heavy/crusty snow, some mates I ski with just fly down, all confidence I reckon!!

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Vallandry over the week 10-18th February. Thursday there was a lot of snow - very deep but not powder more like cement. Not so bad to ski if you kept your speed up. Friday was better, the snow was much more powdery and easier to ski but not as deep and was mainly skied out by lunch time.

I wrote this on another site about my trip:

Just back from the above resort so thought I woulf write a quick trip report. Was skking with friends and their kids and staying in a Grande Alpes chalet. A durch company that rents out chalets owned by (in the main) Dutch clients. We've always found them pretty good and a lot more laid back, but better organised than for example Interhome.

Kids were in ski school in the mornings so adults only skiing mornings doing whatever hard stuff was open. Sking in Atomic TC9 with Frichti Diamir AT bindings. Afternoons skiing with the kids aged between 5-12 most were ESF * standard, eldest was Bronze * standard. As the younger kids were at a strong snowplough turn standard stuck to reds and blues in the afternoons and I switched tele kit (Fischer boundless touring skis, Voile 3pin and cable bindings on a release plate and Crispi CXT plastic touring booots - low ankle not really for piste skiing).

Arrived Saturday lunchtime and managed a half day. Weather was sunny, snow was good, but then hard and icy in places. Lots of warnings for rocks, plaques de terre (sheets of ground as the English version said!). Sunday - Tuesday was cold and sunny, not much change in the snow conditions except rocks, and plaques de terre became more common on lower runs. Did the Combociere black a couple of times nice at the top, decent moguls and not too many rocks or grass showing between moguls. The final narrower pitch down to the lift was a bit harder as there was very little snow between the moguls. Not much open off the Aguile Rouge but did manage one long red back into 2000.

Afternoons on tele kit was fun, still not good at it but getting better. Was doing tele turns down most reds and even a couple of blacks as long as they weren't too moguled. Not linking the turns very well though. More tele turn - traverse - teleturn. When it was steep and/or moguled then the tele turns went out of the window and it was back to parallel turns.

Wednesday was cloudy with snow forecast from the late afternoon. The snow arrived and was nice dry powder when we went to bed, but overnight the freezing level rose and the the powder turned to cement. Thursday was windy with wet and heavy snow most of the day. The snow was badly needed, but was about a foot of cement rather than nice powder. Also most of the higher lifts were closed due toa avalanche risk or the wind. But still plenty of runs to attack around Vallandry and over in 1800 and 1600. Met one other telemarker Thursday morning, said the snow was horrible for teleing so stuck to AT kit. In total I only saw one other tele skier all week.

Freezing level dropped Thursday night so Friday was a powder day, but only about 4inches max. This was quickly skiied out in the morning in most places and again the avalache risk was high so only the lower runs were open again. Two of the younger kids managed their 1st black (ecuruiles down to Plan Peissey).

Snow continued all Friday night and it was snowing heavilly on Saturday morning when we left to drive home. The snow was much needed as the runs had very little depth. Whoever is out this week should get some good skiing once the avalanche risk drops.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ecureuil - great run Very Happy

I'll be there in an hour!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy