Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lesson dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
We have a decision to make before tomorrow and I would appriciate some other thoughts on what would be the best way to proceed.

Background - I've been skiing for 20 years, my husband 12. I almost always joined ski school when on holiday for the 1st 8 years until I met my husband and started him skiing. He has only ever had 1, 1 hour lesson that we won in a quiz on our second ski holiday together. Other than that all he knows he has learnt from me (his choice)

We now have 2 children who we have been putting into ski school on holidays. This year we have come to Pila in Italy and one of the ski schools here offers a decent discount for additional family members booking onto thier collective lessons and as I'm keen to have some instruction again (as I'm sure some nasty bad habits will have developed over ths past decade) I booked us all in.

The ski school (having taken our booking and money over a month ago) have now got intouch to tell us that they haven't got many adults booked in and none at our level (which I described as 'ski most pistes, needs to work on off-piste and moguls)

They have suggested we might prefer to take private lessons instead. This would be one two hour lesson and would cost aa few euros more than we paid for the 5x2hr collective lessons. Or we could ski in a lesson with the more competent children thay have booked in. Or just dki with the best adults they have an hope they aren't all complete beginners.......
All have thier downsides. I was looking forward to skiing with other people (not just the family) for a change which was an other reason I went for the collective rather than private lessons.

WWYD?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would opt to join the best adults they've got group & get on with it. I would also spend some time hoping those adults weren't too far advanced for me to keep up with...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't mix adults and children in the same class. Everyone's experience will be compromised.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@annaa, agree with RR - and I find private lessons invaluable - I’ve skied for 25 years and still get 1:1 tuition
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with @kittya, It's not your fault that no one else has booked. They are putting profit before service. Anything in the T&C's? Sounds to me like a group of two for 5* 2hr lessons.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does it depend how old the 'children' are (thinking teenagers rather than under 10?) My very first ski holiday with my parents and sisters we were in a lesson with adults (we were 18, 16 and 14 at the time)

They do state a minimum number of 4 for thier group lessons, so I think the 5 days of lessons for just the two of us is not going to be possible.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
see if they will stretch to 2 private lessons. Would be nice to get feedback at the second lesson. Maybe ok with kids over 15, but a lot will likely be follow me round the mountain, which, well.....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd go Private....and see if you can get a bit of extra discount, given it's not your fault.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

see if they will stretch to 2 private lessons

Worth a try. I've been in a group of 2 in French pre-booked group lessons. My OH started one week in a group of two and the other person dropped out after 2 days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just realised that was a mistype in the original post - it should have been 2, 2hour lessons not 1.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
annaa wrote:
Just realised that was a mistype in the original post - it should have been 2, 2hour lessons not 1.

Perfect, but now try for 3! Nothing to lose.

2 * 2 hr private will give you significant gains.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 private lessons
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Private
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depends on the priority...private to improve, but group if you want the chance of more social skiing. Can you hedge, and try the group for one lesson then go private if it doesn't work out?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes - 2 x 2 hour lessons are a decent alternative - I'd go for that!
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for your very helpful thoughts and suggestions.
I turned up this morning wanting to go for the private lesson option to be told that that was no longer possible as they had had a number of English speaking book onto group lessons an so they no longer had enoughenglish speaking instructors to offer us a private at the same time. They could do it at a different time, but obviously with a 9 and 7 year old that would be impossible.
They refused to refund us in full (would only offer 50%) so I agreed to go along to the start of the ski school session so they could 'assess our level of skiing'. We turn up, having been assured that there were at least some other adults to find ourselves the only adults in a group of children (all preteen). Watched them ski down the easy blue - and there was no way we'd have fit in a lesson with any of them. By the time I'd skiied down to the group the instructor was already on the phone the boss to tell him so.
We then got offered the option to join an advanced adult class either in the morning or the afternoon - and we could spilt so that one of us would be available to look after the children. At this point my husband (who isnt that keen on lessons anyway) lost his patience and decided he would just have a refund, which they did give him.
I chose to take the lessons offered, but have found myself the only English speaker in a group of Italians, so I am missing a fair bit of what he is telling everyone. However - there are some very good skiiers in the group, so I'm having to push myself and it's good to have someone to follow and copy.
Bit of a saga and I think its probably put my hubby off having lessons ever again!
latest report
That's a real pain @annaa - but I hope you enjoy the rest of the week with your Italians.
snow report
@annaa, make sure you ask the instructor to clarify in English if you think you are missing out, or ask if the group minds if he speaks English all the time?
ski holidays
Quote:

ask if the group minds if he speaks English all the time?

or, perhaps, part of the time?
latest report
@annaa, just out of interest, what ski school in Pila?
ski holidays
@annaa, this is bizarre and unacceptable.

I have recounted this before when people have such bad experiences. I have a friend who owns a ski school. His philosophy is simple: people pay the school to learn to ski, and so his school teaches them to ski. It's a small independent school in Switzerland. My son has reached competition level at age 12 with his coaches, and I have had amazing 1:1 and 2:1 sessions with them too. The important thing is that Yves, the Director, is on the snow the whole day, reallocating people who need to be reallocated, getting late arrivals up onto the hill and into their groups, making sure clients and instructors are all connected up and things are running smoothly. Don't be put off; it all depends on the philosophy and competence of the school....
snow report
rob@rar - Sci Evolution. We tried the scuola di sci pila last year and didn't feel the children learned much at all. So we decided to try the alternative this year.

valais2 - I really am very bewildered by the whole situation and annoyed that they are obviously only care about getting money of people and not the service they provide. Or maybe I'm just to nice....
snow report
@annaa, ...you are being entirely reasonable. If you have a broken window and the glazier turned up, worked for an hour, left the pane broken and then asked for a full fee, I think we would say ‘no way’ - but I have had MANY stories of terrible ski school experience - the directors of such schools seem perfectly happy to take money and provide a bad service. For example, I counted 13 kids in a lesson of one school at Christmas - not Yves’ Swiss Mountain Sports, I may add, which has a maximum group size of 5. I think we DO need to complain about bad tuition. I think that such schools bank on ‘...well they are here for a week and will be going somewhere else next year...’. Interestingly, Yves’ school has a very high rate of return clients, which says a lot.
latest report
valais2 wrote:
@annaa, ... I think that such schools bank on ‘...well they are here for a week and will be going somewhere else next year...’. Interestingly, Yves’ school has a very high rate of return clients, which says a lot.

This is totally the impression I got when trying to sort it all out. The director couldn't care less as we are only here for a week and (now) very unlikely to return.

They advertise groups of min 4, max 8 so I shall be counting how many are in the groups they have put the children in. I'm already going to have to speak to my daughter's group instructor as she spent the entire lesson yesterday going up and down the run in the village with the magic carpet lift and was completely bored.

I read your comments about Yves ski school in Crans Montana on someone else's ski school 'tail of woe' recently and thought it sounded great. Hubby has vetoed Switzerland as 'too expensive' however Sad
snow report
[quote="annaa"]
valais2 wrote:
Hubby has vetoed Switzerland as 'too expensive' however Sad

Based on what? If you DIY via AirBnB, Sleazyjet for flights, hire a car and do a big shop in Lidl, it's a damned sight cheaper than France. And based on the "pint of beer index", we here in Laax are much cheaper than most of the French resorts. So if he would consider France, then Switzerland being 'too expensive' is a prejudgement IMV

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 21-02-18 8:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
And lax is a great resort based on my week there.
latest report
@annaa, ...it's certainly true that Switzerland has done nothing to dispel the idea that it's a very expensive place. The labour laws have indeed bumped up prices, but Eng-CH is exactly right ... right now, places like Trois Vallees cost a lot more per week than Switzerland - people are likely to come on and say 'well Autstria and Italy are cheaper..etc' and that's true, but you can still do Switzerland without it hurting .. as Eng-CH says, Easyjet to Geneve, hire car, Air B&B and it can be entirely do-able. Get a chalet in a village like Bluche, Randogne, Icogne, around Crans and it's really cheap. Last months we did a 5 day trip: 90gbp for the flights, 80gbp each for the hire car, and with the Magic Pass time on the hill was really cheap.
ski holidays
What's the magic pass? I had a quick look at Crans lift passes and it would be over €1000 for the four of us for 6 days, which is about a third more than we'd normally spend.
I do all our trips DIY - either cheap flights and hire a car, or drive and use self catering accommodation. But I will give Switzerland an other look next year if it really isn't as expensive as our preconceptions would suggest!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swiss always seems to work out cheaper than EasyJet (I've just snagged a return Heathrow to Zurich in April - free ski carriage - for £87!)
snow report
valais2 wrote:
@annaa, ...it's certainly true that Switzerland has done nothing to dispel the idea that it's a very expensive place.

It's an excellent bit of marketing - make it sound expensive and exclusive, and you'll attract the mega-rich who will drop multiple thousands in pocket money while they're here which all goes into the local economy
ski holidays
@annaa, magic pass was VERY cheap pre season - less than 1 week standard, but for whole season in 25 stations!....

https://www.magicpass.ch/

..so we snapped them up in August 2017....we ski 10+ weeks in CH so major bargain for us.

....don't know what they will do season 2018-19 - we will keep an eye on it...

...and if you have done your calculations and it comes out 1/3 more then indeed you should go to where you feel you can afford; perhaps work well ahead re ski schools and tap the knowledge here re which ones to use. New Gen is excellent in Trois Vallees and La Tania can be cheap end of the system...
latest report
@eng_ch, ...up to a point Lord Copper....or buy expensive property which they never visit (Cold beds in Crans) ... the number of local shops which have closed tells the real story I think ... combination of high CHF and structure of economy ... locals as you know very upset at present ....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy