Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech - Help needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,
Off to Lech in a few weeks and need a sound objective view of best pistes, alpine restaurants, general do's and don'ts. Can anyone either drop me a few lines on here or point me to a useful independent website?
Thanks
KB
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps start with a search for posts by @Langerzug and @Old Man of Lech. Between them, and others like @MarkyMark, there is already a wealth of info on this site.

Your questions are so broad. Without knowing what you want to do, how well you ski, your budget, do you want to stay in Lech or also sample the other resorts on the Arlberg pass, etc, you could literally write a book answering your questions.

PS: you have picked a great part of the world. You will have a ball.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 18-02-18 18:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Der weiße ring to Zürs - starts from Rüfikopf cable car in Lech (same side as Stroltz)

Also the toboggan run at night is great fun
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 18-02-18 18:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Already booked to stay. I'm very capable intermediate, can handle all Reds and most Blacks. Love cruisey Blues as much as challenging Reds.

Looking for some good pistes to crack straight into either on Lech/Zurs side or in St Anton. Missus is early intermediate so comfy on Blues but not Reds yet.

Some good restaurants around the area, mountain wise, will be appreciated but happy to check the posters you suggested for tips! Just been to Courchevel so looking forward to the contrast!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is worth taking a trip around Warth-Schröcken, via the Auenfeldjet. It is pretty cruisey area, which your wife should enjoy. If you do go over, the S1 restaurant at the bottom of the Saloberjet, is one of our favourites. Relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff, and great food. BTW: we are not “fine dining at lunchtime” people. The day is for skiing.

Der Weiße Ring is worth doing, but do it early, otherwise the queue at Madloch will cause a sharp intake of breath,

The onslope restaurants in Zürs, Trittalpe, Seekopf, and Shrofli Alms (spelling?) are over-priced. Balmalpe, at the top of Zugerbergbahn, does a great pizza, but it comes with attitude.

More as I think of it...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kid bwapo, The lift links to Warth and from Zurs to St Anton have turned Lech form a great resort into best in the Alps in my view.

The scope and variety and spectacular scenery are all astonishing.

Most of the piste skiing is upper-intermediate level so you should love it.

I'm there March 10th for a week myself
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
*Considering your missus, forget about St.Anton. She will definitely not like it (if not hate it), and there is enough very pleasant skiing between Lech-Zürs-Warth.
*No use in telling about pistes. It is all very good in Lech wink Although you need to make sure you check Zürsertäli in Zürs. Your missus might not like the Madloch connection between Zürs and Lech, although it is the essence of the famous White Ring.
*Restaurants: can't go really wrong there too. A lot of quality! But I'm with @ulmerhutte, in Zürs lunch in general is problematic. Some nice huts in Lech (Kriegeralpe, and the brand new and stylish Der Wolf). And the classics in Oberlech like Montana, Burg and Cresta. Also very good, and not so well known: Formarin on the Schlosskopf piste.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the most important hints is do not have fixed plans. For sure, go out with an idea of where you want to go, but be prepared to adjust for snow conditions, light, and crowds. True for anywhere, but critical here.

Some other info:

Langerzug: an iconic run. Great decent, usually on good snow, quiet, scenic - BUT: intimidating at the start. Steep!

Zürsertali: ditto, along with a high-speed tuck, or long traverse, at the end.

Rendl: usually, but not always, much quieter than the rest of St Anton.

Flexenbahn: access to St Anton. Stunning views. Fantastic engineering. Look for the Steinbock on the ridge to the east. There has been between 3 - 8 of these animals in sight each time we have been on the lift this year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with @Langerzug (mutual admiration? 😝), but St Anton does not have much to offer to a low-end intermediate, especially at the moment. The snow up high has been good, but visibility has sucked. Crowded lower down, and a föhn, followed by freezing temps, has turned those slopes into ice skating rinks. Having main route down from Galzig and Valfagehr, ie Steissbachtal, closed by intransigent lift co and land owner has not helped.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally I don't see the point in the weis ring just a made up thing for the tourists and nothing exciting, maybe others will disagree but that's my opinion as an intermediate boarder
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again guys, great advice here. I'll maybe head over to St Anton on the days the missus is doing her group lessons then!

Regarding Langerzug and the steep drop in, is it Combe de Saulire steep drop in, better or worse?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kid bwapo, I have never skied C de S, so cannot comment.

It is steep on the first pitch for several hundred metres. A fall at the top all but guarantees a long slide. That said, if you are a competent intermediate, and confident, then you should be able to do it. Pick a day when the light is good and certainly do not take your wife.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. Sounds similar, Combe de Saulire has a very steep drop in and then turns out to be a blast. I'll look forward to it!
ski holidays
@kid bwapo,
Langerzug is much steeper and narrower than Combe de Saulire. You can't compare these two, be warned!
snow report
Now I'm intrigued! Many thanks for clarifying kind sir.
latest report
Now I'm intrigued! Many thanks for clarifying kind sir.
latest report
@kid bwapo, Plenty in Lech/ Zurs and Warth to keep you occupied for a week, when we stay there we don't go over to St Anton. Warth is a gem, get yourselves over there, great skiing.
snow report
@kid bwapo, Just back from Lech with the family - we loved Langer Zug - did it mid afternoon and now feeling quite smug! Don’t hang around at the top but have your camera handy for the sign. You can do it with a guide every Wednesday at 07.30 for 25 euros including a glass of champagne - book at Rufikoft lift pass office. But not necessary. Enjoy Blush
snow conditions
@kid bwapo, Do go to the Schneggarei bar/restaurant in centre and for an excellent fondue, try the Rote Wand at Zug for a special evening.

On a bluebird day you cannot beat lunch on the terrace at the Goldenerberg Hotel in Oberlech.

I would give St Anton a miss this winter until problems settle.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy