Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To tight, too loose? Too soft?

Poster: A snowHead
I've owned my own boots for a few years now and have loved them; an easy fitting to start with and no complaints. But...

We skied over new year, and for the first time ever using these boots I finished the trip with contact blisters on my shins. This has sort of stumped me as nothing has really changed since I used them last year when my shins were fine.

Any thoughts? I'm always looking for an excuse to get new boots, but am slightly confused over what has caused / would solve the issue. Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have some shin gel pads that I wear all the times after I got some bruises probably by not having my boots tight enough. Cost around 20 euros.
Edit chemist who sold them to me in resort said he wears t them all the time and as long as you keep them in the bag with the protective sheet on they last year's
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pynch, were you skiing harder / steeper / faster than you have before?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you lost weight, or muscle tone (causing thinner calves)?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Different socks? Higher temps? Sweatier legs? The boots are unlikely to have changed but you, or the leg environment in the boots probably has.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stopped shaving your legs?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[[duplicate]]

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 18-02-18 17:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[[duplicate]]

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 18-02-18 17:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If anything I have gained weight (trying to lose it again) - though it is possible the weight gain has resulted in muscle tone loss, neither is particularly dramatic.

I was perhaps skiing more confidently / faster, though not steeper as we found the bulk of Trysil to be lovely and gentle. Because of the fresh snow (and then the crud) I was having to work the skis a fair amount, but hard to say I did that more than usual. Plus the holiday was only 4 days of skiing rather than 6.

My boots are 100 flex (the older blue/white Lange RX100) and it was suggested to me that I might be getting to a point where I would do well with something stiffer, but would this result in blisters?

@under a new name, Perhaps I should shave my legs... Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm. No harm in chucking in my tuppence worth. Hard to say given your boots worked before but you may be able to change things with the way you buckle them. in general thing to do is make sure your heel is well held in place. After that, how tight or loose you have the shin buckles and power strap depends what and how you want to ski. Off piste or in the bumps you often want as much ankle flex as you can which means a looser power strap. If you plan to carve a blue piste at Mach 2 then tighten it up so you can drive the front of the ski with the shin. A blister might suggest rubbing, whereas a bruised shin suggests an ill fitting tongue. Voila, I'd start by checking you have no wiggle room at the heel, I.e. It doesn't lift off the footbed when you flex your ankle. After that see what can be amused to get the tongue making even contact with your whole shin rather than just a small part of it. Boots are tricky and generally much more important to your skiing than the skis. Hope you find some solution in any event. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pynch, I always stick a big fabric plaster on both shins as that area takes a bit of a battering when skiing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27 I used to get that too with hire boots that I got somewhat at random but once you have got your boots to fit that shouldn't happen any more. I use to accept is as an inconvenience of skiing but I don't any longer. No point not being comfortable while you ski unless you are a racer. Play with the boots, see a boot fitter, get a custom footbed and keep going until you can ski well in comfort. Good luck!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@red 27 (& @pieman666)That is good to know; perhaps I have just graduated to skiing properly so need some added protection...

@Ed_sec, Thanks - my heal could perhaps be held in place a little more firmly and I am guilty of warming up with my boots fairly loose - but these aren't new.

I think that it probably happened when I was practising short turns on one of the reds on a day when the piste was pretty chopped up and had to work the skis fairly hard.

I suppose my options are:

a) Toughen up and do nothing

b) try and get fitted for some new boots.

I suppose my question then is: if I get some new boots, should I go for a stiffer flex, or is this more likely to do with the overall fit?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pynch, seriously, I had one start to the season and blister, grazing all over the place. Someone suggested shaving my shins? End of problem...

Never had to do it-since...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shins used to get into a horrible mess. Now: properly fitted boots, shaved legs, gel pads (Epitets) and booster straps. Don't know which one is working but it's a blessed relief!
snow conditions
I've had the same boots for a few years and this happened only on one occasion. I'm almost certain it was down to having the boot too loose on the first day.
snow conditions
Thanks all - I will report back from my trip in a few weeks... (Including on if shaving my legs was required).
ski holidays
It may be the socks, and even the soap powder or fabric conditioner used?
ski holidays
@On the rocks, soap powder I hadn't considered...

I have been using smartwool socks for a few years and have never had an issue before, but I will make sure they are thoroughly rinsed!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy