Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DPS Lotus 124

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried these?

I am most taken by the 112's as a daily driver but with all the powder forecast for next year in Europe and other adventures in incubation am considering something fatter and less turny for the good days...

http://offpistemag.com/dps-lotus-124-spoon-powder-skis/

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2017-2018-dps-lotus-alchemist-124-spoon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought you were going full mid life crisis - heli in AK. New skis to match.

PS Tech Talk JONG

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 16-06-17 12:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't skied the 124s, but wasn't so stoked on the 112 I tried - came *alive* in even a few cm of untracked snow, but gutless and folded everywhere else (in fairness that was the Tour 1 construction).

Two other skis that should def be on your list:

- New Blizzard Spur (NOT the one linked to in that Blister review; the new one is a totally different animal and outrageously loose slarvy light carbon fun).
- Faction Prime 4.0. Everything that made the old 4FRNT EHP one of the best and most unique skis ever made, with the foibles worked out (ok it won't carve, but who cares). Only 118mm underfoot but has the incredible frictionless feel of the EHP in powder. If I was planning to go heliskiing in AK and ski huge steep faces as fast as I dare, this would absolutely be my choice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
Haven't skied the 124s, but wasn't so stoked on the 112 I tried - came *alive* in even a few cm of untracked snow, but gutless and folded everywhere else (in fairness that was the Tour 1 construction).

Two other skis that should def be on your list:

- New Blizzard Spur (NOT the one linked to in that Blister review; the new one is a totally different animal and outrageously loose slarvy light carbon fun).
- Faction Prime 4.0. Everything that made the old 4FRNT EHP one of the best and most unique skis ever made, with the foibles worked out (ok it won't carve, but who cares). Only 118mm underfoot but has the incredible frictionless feel of the EHP in powder. If I was planning to go heliskiing in AK and ski huge steep faces as fast as I dare, this would absolutely be my choice.

I tried the Prime 3's last year and wasn't impressed although I think it was the mounting point. Faction seem to mount everything way too far forward for me...

Will try the 4.0 next season and keep an eye out for the Blizzard's - although rarely see Blizzards on test here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Faction seem to mount everything way too far forward for me...

well he does do a lot of spinning and skiing switch!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Faction seem to mount everything way too far forward for me...

well he does do a lot of spinning and skiing switch!

Not so much Anthamatten (who designed the Primes) - the switch at least, he spins plenty!

bobinch they might take a bit of adjusting to. Basically try and ski like Hoji - centred stance, lots of lateral movement, slarve not carve, and slash the tail out as much as possible. FWIW I also just to be a fan of fairly rearward mounts, but for everything other than touring (kick turns) I now prefer a more modern/forward mount - makes slashing the tail out easier and more fun!

Not the best photo as it was very sharky and I'd just spotted the rock in front of me (right on the line of shadow and light) and I was scared of hurting (someone else's) a €1000 pair of skis, but fun nonetheless!

(Will Robson photo)

Maybe this illustrates better on my old EHPs - throw 'em out to the side and work the section underfoot rather than overly driving the tip:

(Tracy Anderson photo)[/img]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice!

Guess this is the point where we have to throw in the Whitedot Redeemer option too Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:
Nice!

Guess this is the point where we have to throw in the Whitedot Redeemer option too Very Happy

And the Whitedot Ragnarok as well Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, i didn't find at all confidence inspiring when turning up the gas on wide open slopes - not enough ski in front to get forward and commit with confidence?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, had an interesting chat with a ski tech about Kaestke skis vs Faction. He reckoned the Kaestle skis are good for several seasons but the Factions are done after one. They sell both
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think that's true of all new Factions something to do with changing factory and building for scale. The older ones used to be completely bombproof.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
@clarky999, i didn't find at all confidence inspiring when turning up the gas on wide open slopes - not enough ski in front to get forward and commit with confidence?

Yeah I guess that's the issue. How long were you on them for? Shouldn't take too long to adjust, but on the other hand, no need to if other skis work better for you!

I don't know about durability - only had a couple of days in total on Faction skis so can't comment about how well they hold up longer term.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, I have the Powderworks Lotus 124 (it isn't a true Powderworks ski though, just the first year of the release). I skied them in Switzerland in Jan/Feb, but since there was no powder it wasn't a fair test. They will carve after a fashion when given enough encouragement. I then took them to Japan (with my Spoons), where as expected they were in their element. The Spoons were used on days with 90% powder, the 124's on days with less powder and long run outs (Spoons don't do traversing).

Although it looks like a fat Wailer, there is less tail rocker, less camber, and a much more central mounting position. They are much more of an all rounder than the Lotus 120 or Spoon, which are really dedicated powder skis.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 19-06-17 6:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
jedster wrote:
Nice!

And the Whitedot Ragnarok as well Toofy Grin

The proper manly ones, or those girly carbon things?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PowderAdict, you nailed it!
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Think that's true of all new Factions something to do with changing factory and building for scale. The older ones used to be completely bombproof.

Thats interesting, just a few weeks back was surprised to see my tails delaminating, a quick E20 fix but not something I have ever experienced before.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, are they good on the shop floor / car park then? Toofy Grin

A ski will perform in different conditions, be it snowpack or even the skier, so you can't even attempt to assimilate how a ski might perform

Know that might confuse a lot of people on here but over years of windsurfing / skiing that's simply the way it is!

On the whole it's the skier and not the latest must have skis!
ski holidays
@Weathercam...however, different skis absolutely behave very differently to each other in any given snow: full camber/trad sidecut vs 5 point being the obvious one.

The latest must have skis are the ones we’ve decided to buy next, non? Wink
snow report
@Sharkymark, that was Friday night beers talking Toofy Grin

But still say it's the skier that maketh the skis.

Looks like a return to the light weight sub 90 touring skis next week and plan is that we're staying here for a couple of nights.

In the meantime heavy wet snow at 1400 so out with the big skis later on me thinks, and then LG tomorrow with the Vikings.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I fully agree that a true expert skier can make practically any ski do anything, within limits, but match the right ski to the conditions and said expert will have an easier time/more fun/both.

I fully admit I'm not a great skier, but I'm way better in powder than I have any right to be, due to my "Talent Compensating" quiver of fat rockered skis. Does an expert need them, no, but when I lent them to one, he wanted to buy them off me, as he'd never had so much fun on a ski.

@Sharkymark, Of course anything we decide to buy is the best there is, we don't make mistakes..................... wink
ski holidays
There can be a big negative to too wider skis and I've often witnessed it.

On big descents to the valley floor / road such as some of the La Grave classics those big floaty skis that work so well on the glacier and fresh snow at altitude, become a real PITA especially with tired legs once the fresh snow gives way to hard pack and then you have to take tiny icy paths and traverses in the trees on the run outs.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, not the Lotus 124 Alchemist 😉 I’ve skied a lot of skis and these are game changing 😎 light, poppy and great edge hold - no problem for bush whacking and icy traverses
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy