Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-Technique Hints and Tips

Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rjs, there must be a technique I don’t know. Although my foamed liners are generally much more rigid than the originals with the laces which were indeed pretty squishy and easy to remove.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Broken legs can be skied through if you don't know they are broken so only go to the clinic if it REALLY hurts.

I can confirm that the above also works with the pelvis.

I don't, however, recommend it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm not sure that counts as wise advice snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear an analogue watch (with hands) rather than some digital thingy, so you can read it in bright sun.

For bonus points use it as an approximate compass* (point the hour hand at the sun* South is approx half way between the hour hand and 12 o'clock***)

*Extra bonus points for using a compass as a compass when it really matters
** If spring skiing in late March / early April remember to compensate for daylight savings
*** In the Northern hemisphere
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tubaski wrote:
Wear an analogue watch (with hands) rather than some digital thingy, so you can read it in bright sun.

For bonus points use it as an approximate compass* (point the hour hand at the sun* South is approx half way between the hour hand and 12 o'clock***)

** If spring skiing in late March / early April remember to compensate for daylight savings

Good advice on the compass,but if you do it enough then you don't need a watch anymore as you can work it out in your head...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whagwan wrote:
Tubaski wrote:

Good advice on the compass,but if you do it enough then you don't need a watch anymore as you can work it out in your head...

Don’t get lost.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Of you are on piste, a. How can you possibly get lost, b. How can a compass possibly help you? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I didn't mention getting lost...
If can be interesting to note what the aspect of a slope is.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tubaski, oh. Ok. Yes. Something I am often worried about.

“Is it sunny?”

“Let me check my compass”

Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wash all the family’s ski stuff, use fabric softener to keep them smelling nice, then put it all in 3 vacuum seal bags and store in the loft. They smell exactly the same 12 months later.

I always type sheets with flight no, destination contact contact details, our name and tel nos (and I carry ones for return as well). One sheet goes in each suitcase (and hand luggage rucksack just to be sure). That way if baggage handlers lose your case, when it’s opened they can see immediately where it needs to go to. It’s worked for us twice now.

A real pain but we now carry gaffer tape as our suitcases just keep getting trashed and it holds them together for return journey. So fed up with it happening - I swear they use them in the terminal for football practice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, why so scornful?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bambionskiis, or anyone else who suffers the same problem, buy the indestructible hard cases from someone like Samsonite. You’ll only buy them once, and if they do get damaged (the pull up handle broke on one of mine) they’ll send out spares for free. They do weigh a bit more, but they can double up as a handy seat in the baggage queue, so it’s swings and roundabouts Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, +1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bambionskiis wrote:
I wash all the family’s ski stuff, use fabric softener to keep them smelling nice, then put it all in 3 vacuum seal bags and store in the loft. They smell exactly the same 12 months later.

The washing instructions for my ski jacket and trouser explicitly say NOT to use fabric softener as it can affect the water proofing.
ski holidays
Get a European mains cable (Schuko) and wire it in to a UK 6-way socket strip. Saves all the faffing with the adapter plugs and struggling to plug things in behind beds, cupboards, etc. T'other half's happy as her straighteners can be plugged in at the same time as the hairdryer rolling eyes

Fits nicely into the ski bag too.
latest report
most hotels have plenty of charging cables left behind by previous guests, always worth asking at the desk.

Don't use a backpack, find someone else who is using a knapsack and put you're spare gloves, sweater, goggles and sun hat in theirs.
ski holidays
If you have a backpack then don't let anyone use it for their spare gloves, sweater, goggles, sun hat etc.
snow conditions
@SnoodlesMcFlude or leave it behind Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
If you have a 'friend' who won't let you stow stuff in their backpack, lunchtime offers opportunites to put it in anyway. If you think they'll notice the extra weight chuck some of their stuff out, they never use it anyway.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, as a sweaty fat lad, I need more water than I can get at rest stops or fit in my pockets.
latest report
Those handy pockets on the sleeve of your ski jacket to put your lift pass in, are a great place to keep your Senior Bus Pass.

When your cycling, instead of having a cycle helmet use your ski helmet, its cool.
Its even cooler with the goggles on as well.

I was told by a couple of 14 year old lads that I was a cool dude..?
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
Those handy pockets on the sleeve of your ski jacket to put your lift pass in, are a great place to keep your Senior Bus Pass.

When your cycling, instead of having a cycle helmet use your ski helmet, its cool.
Its even cooler with the goggles on as well.

I was told by a couple of 14 year old lads that I was a cool dude..?

Love this post
snow conditions
Rabbie wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:

The washing instructions for my ski jacket and trouser explicitly say NOT to use fabric softener as it can affect the water proofing.

Good point and I remember being told that you shouldn’t use it with towels as it affects water resistance. However, I’ve just checked and none of mine say that so I think I’m OK.
ski holidays
Don’t believe 14 year old lads if they call you a cool dude...
snow conditions
@bambionskiis, if any of them are “breathable”, e.g. gore-tex, event, h2no, in fact anything “technical” at all, you’ll almost certainly degrade them with conditioner.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@bambionskiis, if any of them are “breathable”, e.g. gore-tex, event, h2no, in fact anything “technical” at all, you’ll almost certainly degrade them with conditioner.

Noted thanks. I won’t risk it again then. Cheers
latest report
Read the small print on checked baggage when taking skis (for a codeshared flight, it’s the rules of the airline you fly with not the one you booked with. Found this out at the airport when I couldn’t take my skis as normal).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jd_evans, forgot about that one - alternatively just take one euro adaptor and a UK 4/6 gang . . .these can be picked up for under £5 and some now include an additional double USB socket for phones / ipads etc . . . keeps everyone happy and saves the faff of multiple expensive adaptors
ski holidays
@Belch, yup, if I was making up one now it'd include USB. Mine are more "vintage" Happy
snow report
@jd_evans, . . .'wiring one up' sounds potentially dangerous lol!
snow report
Belch wrote:
@jd_evans, forgot about that one - alternatively just take one euro adaptor and a UK 4/6 gang . . .these can be picked up for under £5 and some now include an additional double USB socket for phones / ipads etc . . . keeps everyone happy and saves the faff of multiple expensive adaptors

Yup,do this for all foreign holidays...
snow report
Belch wrote:

The multi-extension lead with adaptor has been the compulsory item on all recent holidays for 2 iPads, q tablet, 3 iPhones, 1 kindle, hair dryer, MP3 etc
snow report
Always buy 3 lip salves, and 3 sun blocks for the 3 of us

Ensure to leave at least one of each behind

Find the “1” of each on return home in the depths of the pocket of ski jacket
snow conditions
Everything powered we take runs of USB so I travel with one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Charging-Multi-Port-Black/dp/B00VTI8K9K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519563313&sr=8-3&keywords=5+port+usb+charger&tag=amz07b-21

They do 6 port versions as well but 5 does me.
Then buy a 'figure of 8' tail with EU or US plug off ebay.
One compact unit, single plug socket and does phones, tablets, GoPro etc so is very simple and light to pack.
snow report
When your gloves end up smelling worse than the boot room, pour half a bottle of balsamic vinegar into each one, rinse numerous times and leave to dry on the radiator.
Wear light colours if you get too hot when skiing & vice versa. I always choose dark boots & gloves.
snow report
Both me & the other half have custom fit boots & were told never to use the hotel rack boot warmers in case it changes the custom fit. Not sure how true this is but worth bearing in mind if you have custom fit boots too?
snow report
When putting your boots on, you can really get your heels into back of the pocket by doing the following: after putting your foot in, reach behind and grab the shell with one hand, and with the other push the liner forward/upwards away from the shell an inch or two (as if you were starting to take the liner out in the standard fashion). Then, press down with your heel to push the liner back to the bottom of the boot - you'll find it immediately goes right to the back, and feels very snug and well positioned. Much more effective I find than the usual boot kicking method (and much kinder on the floors at home when you're doing the pre-holiday wearing-in).

IIRC, I got this one from Herbs putting-on-your-boots video, but have been a convert ever since - always banging on about it to my friends.
snow conditions
Chuckles3 wrote:
Both me & the other half have custom fit boots & were told never to use the hotel rack boot warmers in case it changes the custom fit. Not sure how true this is but worth bearing in mind if you have custom fit boots too?

I don't think the rack boot warmers get sufficiently hot to deform the liner. Certainly the ones I most recently used were hardly warm to the touch. They only need to dry the boots out and not heat them up.
snow conditions
I used the boot warmer this year for the first time. On the three occasions I did I had trouble putting my skiis on the following day; it took ages. No problems on the days I didn’t use the warmer. Is that common or a coincidence do you think?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy