Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Chains for Discovery Sport

Poster: A snowHead
I'm driving to Les Gets in March and need snow chains for a Discovery Sport. What are your thoughts on the below chains, or alternatives, need to fit tyre size 245/45/R20?
  • Thule K-Summit XL
  • Weissenfels Clack & Go SUV

Thanks

Steve
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Thule K-Summit XL for a Honda CRV which isn't permitted normal chains. Easy to fit after first fit (initially you have to adjust them to suit your tires) but never had to use them for real, I have heard seen some back reviews of ladder style snow chains and on some resort access roads in New Zealand I believe they are banned.

Carry to get out of trouble, wouldn't want to go any distance on them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you have winter tyres? If you do then I'd forget chains. Conditions would have to be horrendous for a Disco 4x4 with winters to need chains.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowsteve, For Easter I would buy snowsocks from Halfords who offer a no quibble returns policy if the product is in an 'as purchased condition' (the socks have a cable tie to seal the pack) return within 30 days of purchase for a full refund snowHead

Having used socks several times over Christmas and New Year I am a convert! Another bonus of socks that I hadn't realised, is that you can drive through tunnels on the tarmac with no problems, obviously keeping under the max speed for the socks, with chains they would have to come off before the tunnel and put back on, on the other side!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowsteve If you already have winter tyres then these are superior to snow socks, so there wouldn't be any point in the socks. If this is the case, then the two chains you've identified (along with Spikes Spider Easy Alpine and a couple of others) are quite expensive but they will fit a much wider range of wheel/tyre sizes than cheaper chains. I wish I'd bought my Spike Spiders earlier as they would have fitted the last 3 cars I've had, rather than my ending-up buying cheaper ones that were specific to each size. They are also 'easy fit' types: we're talking about under a minute per wheel with this category as opposed to much longer with 'conventional' chains. However, I appreciate that if you already have winters on a 4x4 then the odds of needing chains may be so low that you opt for some cheap ones, given that you'll probably never need them.

Later in the season, you're much more likely to encounter thaw/freeze conditions, when the snow thaws in the day, gets the road wet, and then freezes overnight. This can make getting out of a car park or up a steep slope actually more difficult than if you were on snow in January. The only times I've actually needed chains has been to get out of an apartment basement car park and another year, up a steep slope from our accommodation.

If you don't have winter tyres, then we're into the whole winter tyres / socks / chains debate, which is already well-covered on other threads.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowsteve, made 5 trips out to the Alps in a Disco Sport. Have some Michelin Easy Grip (ropes). I actually bought them for a previous Freelander, new vehicle has the same size tyres. Never actually had to use them on the DS (although we thought we were going to have to leaving Tignes in mid-Jan). In eight years of driving to the Alps twice a year in the Freelander only had to use them once and that was for about 60 meters to get out of a very snowbound unofficial car park, for which they proved very effective.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have the Weissenfells for our Discovery, which is shod in winter tyres.

Never needed them though

They were recommended due to being 9mm so no clearance issues.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the Thules for my suv which has 21 inch wheels
Dead easy to put on
I’ve not used them in anger though
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They aren't banned on nz access roads, but they aren't worth using because they break - it's basically offroad rocky trails, doubt it would as much of an issue on a smoother surface.

Not sure what the clearance is on a disco sport but I've got "proper" diamond chains in a 7mm link, which work fine on my car which isn't supposed to be able to use chains, and they have held up fine with lots of use over the last three seasons. Worth checking out what the actual clearance behind the wheel is - I've found that quite often the manufacturers say no chains even when they can be fitted, but I guess that can end up being a warranty issue. Not a lot of choice for me, because access roads here in NZ are often limited to vehicles with chains, and I'm not going to sit in a car park at the bottom of the hill on a powder day, so prepared to take the punt on it.

https://www.veriga-lesce.com/chain/car-chains/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those saying; "have a discovery with snow tyres you'll not need chains"

Be careful as this is a "Discovery Sport" and not the rufty tufty "Discovery" that I suspect you're all thinking of, so not really any better than an X3, Evoque or any other soft roader!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@marcellus, it has the same off-road "programmes" as the bigger Disco and from what I've seen are a lot more capable than most soft roaders.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As people have said, no need for chains with winter tyres and a 4x4. Land Rover usually fit some kind of all weather tyre as standard. Check what you have on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The tyre size quoted seems to be the fattest option for that model and may well come with a “no chains” warning.

For the “best” solution consider getting some extra rims and winter tyres, and then look for chains to suit. The base model seems to have tyres 225 65 R17 which would leave room for hefty, 16mm, chains. Other advantages of going narrow would be a wider and cheaper choice of tyres, better snow grip, better resistance to aquaplaning, reduced fuel consumption and a more comfortable ride.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

no need for chains with winter tyres and a 4x4

To be clear, I've never had to use them. I still carry them as they are still legal requirement and I may need them one day - I wouldn't say 4*4 and winter tyres means you don't need them
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LaForet wrote:
@snowsteve If you already have winter tyres then these are superior to snow socks, so there wouldn't be any point in the socks. .

No they are not!
Le foret admitted in another thread that he'd never used socks, I have, I have also used winter tyres which will keep you going long after summer tyres have given up without the faf of putting chains or socks on.
The winter tyres on my van still spin quite easily on sheet ice, socks give much better grip on sheet ice or polished snow.

Best chains for a landrover? One that fits the towing eye Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
LaForet wrote:
@snowsteve If you already have winter tyres then these are superior to snow socks, so there wouldn't be any point in the socks. .

No they are not!
Le foret admitted in another thread that he'd never used socks, I have, I have also used winter tyres which will keep you going long after summer tyres have given up without the faf of putting chains or socks on. The winter tyres on my van still spin quite easily on sheet ice, socks give much better grip on sheet ice or polished snow.

Sorry, but I used to work for Pirelli, and the industry view is that snow socks are inferior compared to quality winter tyres, all other things being equal. I don't question your individual experience with specific tyres, socks, vehicle and conditions, but what I'm recommending to the OP is generic industry advice.

I can see that snow socks are a good 'insurance' for someone in the UK who is very unlikely to encounter snow on their summer tyres, but may sometimes be forced by work etc. to be away form home from time to time. They do work in making summers go some way to being as good as quality winters, but not all the way.

And no, I've never used socks - because I don't see them as a useful option given I have winters and chains.

For the OP, here's a chart that summarises what options cover what circumstances.

And if you're cross-referencing what I've posted on other threads, then you'll know that my view is that the benefit of going to the Alps for me is that it swings the argument in favour of going for a set of winter wheels and winter tyres, plus chains. There is an argument for doing this just for UK driving, but the cost/benefit/risk is often hard to judge and it's a pricey option, especially if you can leave the car at home if weather is bad. But once you're taking your vehicle to the Alps each year, for me, it's a no-brainer: you then get the benefit of winter tyres for your UK winter driving as well.

I think the OP's question still remains, whatever you opt for (summers, winters, socks, EazyGrip etc.), because, as the chart indicates, chains cover the 'extreme' end of the winter spectrum. If you get a separate set of winter wheels and tyres, you'll end up with more choice of what chains to fit. If you stick with your fat summer wheels then the choice of chain is more limited. Front-fitting ones like those the OP has identified (and my Spike Spider Easy Alpines) have three virtues 1. They are very easy to fit (once adjusted for your specific size) 2. They fit a wider range of sizes (so are more likely to be transferable to your next/other car) and 3. They will fit 'fat' summer wheel sizes without damaging the anterior components (suspension, pipes, steering etc.). But I can see that faced with, say, a £250 premium for these over more conventional chains, you might decide that their advantages aren't worth the extra cost.
snow report
LaForet - excellent info. Smile
snow report
Thanks all for your advice, very helpful.

I have all weather tyres, and not getting spare rims/winter tyres, so need either socks or chains.

From @LaForet's, graphic I don't think socks are going to be useful, so then it would be chains.

And from the various other comments I'm understanding there's not much between the Thule K-Summit XL, the Weissenfels Clack & Go SUV and the Spike Spider Easy Alpines, so I guess I'll go for whichever one of those I can get for the best price.

Steve
ski holidays
@LaForet ... what your chart convinces me is that All-seasons tyres + a set of chains is a good option for a UK based 4WD (X3) driver who 1) may make a once a year visit to the Alpes 2) cant justify the cost or space of an extra ret of wheels and tyres 3) never gets round to getting the local garage to change the tyres. All-seasons covers the most likely possibilities and I guess will keep the insurers on side when you hight not if you have the wrong tyres on in the event of an accident.

Incidentally, I tried to convince my local BMW garage to fit Michelin Cross Climates on my new X3 from the outset, but they would have none of it, so I will probably swap these on next Autumn, and save the OEM tyres to go back on at the end of the contract.
latest report
@DavidYacht, thing is on modern X3s the tyres last for miles..... just changing our first set at 30,000 and probably got only 10k until end of lease!
snow report
Just about to chop in my present X3, and the dealer expressed concern about the wear on the winter tyres, so have swapped original summer tyres on for the p/ex. Just had a look at the Auto Bild reviews on the Cross Climate + which are pretty impressive, and certainly good for a British winter if you live in a remote area.
latest report
I've for the cross-climates on my car (Octavia) and they're fab - really good in the snow and colder conditions and cope well enough rest of the year when I'm "pushing on" as they say
ski holidays
We have winter tyres on our Disco sport HSE luxury. Vredestein-but don’t ask me the exact spec. They have served us really well this winter with all of the snow in France. Also have the Thule chains which have not been used,and which we have never felt the slightest urge or need to put them on.
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
Those saying; "have a discovery with snow tyres you'll not need chains"

Be careful as this is a "Discovery Sport" and not the rufty tufty "Discovery" that I suspect you're all thinking of, so not really any better than an X3, Evoque or any other soft roader!

Don’t agree.
I’ve got one on snow tyres and it’s fantastic.
It has all of the land rover off road technology so vastly superior to other makes.
Would still get chains though.
latest report
Two year old revival, is that a record? snowHead
ski holidays
No diff locks, then it's a hairdressers 4x4. Like an Audi TT Quattro. And no, LSDs don't count.

Best keep it for taking Tarquin to John Fishers on your big drug dealer alloys. Or navigating that awful car park at the pony club.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
No diff locks, then it's a hairdressers 4x4. Like an Audi TT Quattro. And no, LSDs don't count.

Best keep it for taking Tarquin to John Fishers on your big drug dealer alloys. Or navigating that awful car park at the pony club.

Gotta say the amount of snide rudeness and stereotyping of anyone who dares have a 4x4 on this web site is starting to get pretty boring and irritating. Take a day off hey!
snow report
I am very sorry you bought a mobile laughing stock on very large wheels. The current Land Rover range is about delivering road presence through chintz and armchairs to the Instagram generation.

The new Defender is 3.7 TONS. The only way that's getting out of the mud on its paint on tyres is by sinking slowly to the bedrock and trundling out.

I have got infinitely more time for the little Fiat's and Suzukis 4x4s than the tubs'o'lard Q, X, Cayenne etc hippo brigade.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Richard_Sideways, well done for just reinforcing my point that your judgemental snide opinion is becoming sadly more prevalent on SH.
latest report
Back to the non-judgemental discussion (and I can see both sides of the issue TBH) and I'm re-posting here some advice from another thread following the 3-week trip from which I've just returned, re.chains:

This was the first time I almost got stuck, despite having winter tyres. And it turned out not to be in a blizzard (which I was), nor driving alone up a tortuous hairpin-infested mountain road (which I was), nor deep snow. My problem came when I got into the village and had to keep stop/starting on a hill because skiers and pedestrians were using the middle of the road (for which I don't blame them - this was the centre of the village near the télécabine and a lot of the accommodation. Fortunately, thanks to winter tyres, an LSD, traction control and a light foot on the gas, I got going each time after stopping - just.

I should really have stopped a bit earlier before the hill started, tried out starting on what was churned, slushy snow and I would have probably elected to put the chains on. And could have done so at leisure and safely off to the side. Rather than try and get the last 100m as I was. It turned out OK in the end, but was an object lesson in looking at the conditions and deciding to fit the chains before I got stuck.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Expert one-handed driver
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
I am very sorry you bought a mobile laughing stock on very large wheels. The current Land Rover range is about delivering road presence through chintz and armchairs to the Instagram generation.

The new Defender is 3.7 TONS. The only way that's getting out of the mud on its paint on tyres is by sinking slowly to the bedrock and trundling out.

I have got infinitely more time for the little Fiat's and Suzukis 4x4s than the tubs'o'lard Q, X, Cayenne etc hippo brigade.

I’d love to know your off road background. I’m a farmer and regularly drive my Disco sport around the fields. It’s better than my work Navara, but not quite as good as our old defender on narrow wheels.
Yes, it’s true that land rover have ditched us farmers since taking the defender out of production, but that doesn’t mean the Disco sport isn’t one of the best family cars in its class!
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

With winters on they are pretty capable imo. Having put one to the test on a rather steep uncleared tight road in the alps the other week it coped far better than I thought it would. It managed to get down a single track road with snow / ice cover and didn't slip or slide once, the hill descent mode is pretty decent.

I also know what a proper Landy feels like having had our share of Defenders, but these modern ones do cope pretty well with the odd situation with the correct tyres on.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:

This doesn't effectively apply to the discovery sport. This one along with it's loose predecessor freelander, both have them ability to lock the centre driveline at 100%, making it the same as a conventional centre diff lock. In addition, they can, by pulsing each individual wheel brake, lock off one spinning wheel that has no traction. The effect of this at front or rear axle is to direct 100% of the axle torque to the opposite wheel if it's not rotating. Not strictly speaking a differential lock either but similarly effective in getting there vehicle moving, all without the driver really having to have much knowledge of how to use these things in a technical sense. Far more capable than the quoted comments suggest.

With weight for them in the range of 1840 / 2040 kgs too, where does the higher kgs figure come from?
snow conditions
i bought some K Summits on ebay for £360 unused. they did about five trips to the alps and i never used them. when I sold the car i stuck them on ebay and got........£350.

they are a doddle to fit
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy