Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A way back to confident skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
14 year old daughter has completely lost confidence after fall last year on icy red. She's a good skier, but is very worried about skiing next week. Anyone got any good tips to help get her confidence back?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Be very careful about where and when you ski --- easy slopes and soft snow wink ... and maybe a private lesson too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IME. The best way, is with the right instructor....who will know how to get her confidence back (and in whom she will have faith in).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby wrote:
Anyone got any good tips to help get her confidence back?
Follow somebody she is confident with, who will take her to the right terrain rather than push her too far outside her comfort zone. Switching her focus to an external factor (eg following someone) from an internal factor ('how nervous I'm feeling') makes a big, big difference.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dobby, do you know the resort where you are going? Making sure you pick nice steady runs with no icy reds will help and then do what @rob@rar, says!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, hmm, I can scare myself quite effectively sometimes, following you or skimottaret. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@rob@rar, hmm, I can scare myself quite effectively sometimes, following you or skimottaret. wink
Sometimes it's good to set an "aspirational pace" wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar, indeed, I'm aware it's good for me! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Must confirm what the others have said, following / being with a good instructor has done wonders for my 11yo daughter and last year we went down runs she never would have considered before. With the instructor, she talked us through each slope, how to approach, the techniques we'd use and then applied it and reviewed. Leaps and bounds in confidence.

Good luck
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The problem with trying to do it yourself, is it can all go horribly wrong (got the T-Shirt). IME. One's kids listen to / follow an Instructor, in a way that they don't with their Father/Mother (and it's not just one's kids Toofy Grin ).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks, all. Off to La Thuile - some nice easy blues in the bowl. Trying to sort out an instructor for private lesson. She's a great little skier, but just had a "yard sale" fall in Are.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
See my posting in the thread, 'Fear, is there a way of overcoming it'.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@iSnowhead, thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Thuile has great confidence building runs right down the middle to teh top of the gondola, the only real tough stuff is down the black under the gondola.

Good choice of resort, when she gets back in the zone its over to La Rosiere and back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dobby, if meeting up with a 13 year old (female) snowHead provides motivation, we're in La Rosiere the same week. Mini_mgrolf is in lessons various days (mostly mornings, but one full day) so I'm not sure how often we'll make it all the way into La Thuile but we're always happy to make new ski friends Very Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
dobby wrote:
Anyone got any good tips to help get her confidence back?
Follow somebody she is confident with, who will take her to the right terrain rather than push her too far outside her comfort zone. Switching her focus to an external factor (eg following someone) from an internal factor ('how nervous I'm feeling') makes a big, big difference.

+1
Following a French racer chappy, caning it around Flaine, worked wonders for my skiing. Even took on jumps I would never have thought of in a million years. It helped that he was whooping n hollering like a nutter Laughing Great fun and I highly recommend it!

Don’t think, just ski Cool
snow report
@mgrolf, thanks for that. May send you a pm. Mrs Dobby was wondering whether I had any "internet friends" this holiday (plenty a couple of years ago in Are...)
latest report
@DrLawn, yeah, those runs above the gondola look just the job. Hopefully we'll get a bit of sun too (that would really keep her happy)
snow report
I like La Thuile, I haven't been for a few years.

It's good for a budget trip in those Planibelle apartments as well.
Plus the pizza is good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy