Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boot service required??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

i haven't posted on here in a while......

i'm off skiing in a couple of weeks, i haven't been for 3 years, been 5 times in total over a span of about 10 years - couldn't afford to go every year.

I have my own ski boots, fitted by a recommended boot fitter - Rivington Alpine. Should i be getting them serviced before I go, is there even such a thing as a boot service?

I put them on at home last week and the fastened up fine, i'd forgot how tight they are but i also know not to expect them to fit like slippers.

Thanks in advance of any help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i should have also said, i reckon the boots are 8 years old - Dalbello something or other, been used 3 or 4 times
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@howster, check for mice.

No such thing as a boot service, unless there are holes in the shells or the edges are blunt.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just nip up any Allen bolts.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@howster, Hopefully you stored them with the buckles done up normally, and in a reasonably dark cool place. But since you have tried them on, and they did up ok, then they should be fine.

I would wear them as much as possible to get your feet used to being in ski boots, as you will be wearing them for 5-8 hours a day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all,

they're pretty much as good as new bar a few scuffs, they've been in the wardobe in my bedroom so not out in the shed or anything like that.

i just wanted to ask as i didn't fancy getting to resort and it being something obvious I should have done prior to going away

cheers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My local ski shop offer a boot service for £15. They check for damage, tighten up any loose bits, clean and de-smell the liners if needed.

I took mine in whilst accompanying a friend who was having boots fitted and they gave them a once over for free. Doesn't hurt asking at your local shop if you are worried.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Fridge03, that £15 of easy money!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, probably, but I didn't have to pay so no worries for me!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Fridge03, how do they de-smell the liners? My old boots had a big problem with this so am genuinely interested.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steilhang, haven't got a clue. I think it's an ultraviolet light that is meant to kill bacteria etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went to pack my boots this morning and checked the bases. Thought that is odd what are those two empty holes in my heel piece... Seems like two bolts had dropped out and my heel which was only being held on by a single bolt.... Managed to get replacements from screwfix before I left but could of been nasty had I not noticed and the heel had come away on the mountain....

upload to album
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steilhang, check for an earlier post on here from spyderjon he talks about putting them in the freezer to kill the bacteria which then kills the smell
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@djf, didn’t work on my fusty RM Williams...

Thre is an opinion that freezing doesn’t kill the mould.

I am going to try microwaving them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldnt microwave them, if you get it hot enough to kill the bacteria you're likely to get them hot enough to do damage. You could try washing the inners with soap flakes or a shot of domestic bleach in warm water then freezing them for a few days whilst still damp, works for several months with the one pair of trainers I have that seem to get unusually smelly. I found just freezing them dry wasn't as effective as washing them first and being wet, I guess partly because of the bleach wash and maybe because the water molecules soaked into them freezes around the bacteria and helps kill it, rather than the bacteria just being surrounded by freezing dry air?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 11-02-18 16:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Thre is an opinion that freezing doesn’t kill the mould.

More of a fact, freezing won't kill bacteria. If it did, many scientists in the Antarctic would have wasted their careers studying the local bacteria. A smelly pair of shoes may not smell right after you take them out but the bacteria is ready to spring into life again.
ski holidays
@ise, This discussion (by scientific sounding types way above my pay grade!) seems to suggest freezing does kill some bacteria, although obviously not reliably enough to say something is sterile and not all types which presumably are the ones studied in the Antarctic!
https://www.quora.com/Microbiology-Do-low-temperatures-kill-or-denature-bacteria-or-merely-slow-down-their-reproduction-rate

All I know is with my Adidas trainers that seem to be be pre-filled with bacteria from the factory given how quickly they start to stink compared to any other traner/shoe I own, the above cleaning then freezing routine makes them fresh again for several months whereas trying both parts of that in isolation wasn't as effective.
latest report
Pretty sure there's some bugs have been around for many millions of years in desserts and icecaps. Bugs are tenacious things. I'd be more worried about fungi in boots than bacteria.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070827174320.htm
snow conditions
Yep but there's not a single species of bacteria just like there's not a single species of tree that survives in all environments, so although the answer to whether freezing kills all bacteria is undoubtedly no, the answer to does it kill (some types of) bacteria appears to be yes.
ski holidays
yep, or it might just " put them to sleep"

Have there been any reported bacterial foot infections form ski boots? When you look at rental boots and snowdomes etc, if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. I have some spray that came free at a cyclo sportive, smells a bit nicer, so I squirt this when I can find it! Supposedly bacteriocidal as well.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Purple-Harry/Glove-Shoe-and-Helmet-Sanitiser-250mL/666Y
ski holidays
Do they sleep for 5-6 months? Mr. Green
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy