Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

does 1mm difference on boot length affect binding

Poster: A snowHead
Due to change of boots, new boots are 309mm and the old ones were 310mm. I'm not 100% sure how to adjust the bindings on my skis (Fischer FS10). Is a 1mm difference in the boot length going to make any real difference to an intermediate on-piste skier?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMHO, no...

An expert may be along shortly
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not an expert, just to clarify wink

But some bindings have more than 1mm differences in the adjustments, i.e. each notch gives 2-3mm, so 1mm is unlikely to make much odds. However, if you post the model of the bindings (take some photos if you’re not sure) we can have a look and figure out how it works.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
but 319 old v 310 new would make a difference? Strange to have such a difference on same sized boots !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also not an expert, but - depending on the binding you may need to adjust the forward pressure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@CharlieDelta, There should be a screw between the bindings which when undone allows the heel and toe to move. Whether the adjustment is fine enough to shorten by 1mm is another matter. Assuming it is rail binding mount that is, and not separate heel and toe directly mounted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't trust the number stamped on the side of the boot anyway - some are known to be wrong.

@CharlieDelta, I recommend you get the binding checked by someone who knows what they are doing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’d put money on the binding tolerance tolerating it ...

Very easy to overthink these things.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The binding should have a forward pressure indicator. Put your new boots in, check that's showing a good reading, and your question has been answered (either way) by the binding Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here we are looking at a visual indicator for pressure...

1mm makes no appreciable difference
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, even if one accepts that statement, it assumes that both the old and new boots actually measure what is stamped on them. Also that the OPs binding were correctly adjusted in the first instance (not guaranteed, expecially when buying online/mail order), and that nothing has shifted since. Surely it is better to check it and be confident of having correctly adjusted bindings which should release as designed?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, whether it does or it doesn't is fairly irrelevant. Don't get me wrong - I do agree with you entirely (I have a rail binding which works in increments of 3mm anyway so what does that say?) - but the rear pressure indicator is there for this very purpose and ignoring it on the basis that somebody on the internet says they know better would be pretty stupid. The only sensible answer is put a boot in and see what the bindings say.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Someone who is unfamiliar with bindings is unlikely to know how to read a forward pressure indicator, if they even know what that is, and there are several different designs. The first problem is to figure out what the binding model is, therefore how to read its FP indicator.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tubaski, now ... yes, that makes sense if eg bought online.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, agreed... I'd start by looking at the binding, taking the make and model, and googling it along with "manual"... then reading it

I do appreciate the fact that this is not a manly approach though.

In any case, when putting a new boot in a binding for the first time you need to be reading the forward pressure indicator. Not knowing where to find it isn't an excuse for not doing it.
latest report
@CharlieDelta, a simple question seems to have been not so simple Very Happy . Obviously getting the bindings set up correctly is very important and if you're not comfortable with all the issues raised I would suggest taking boots and skis into a reputable ski shop and asking them to ensure they're set up correctly. For most ski shops this will take a matter of seconds, and is unlikely to cost more than a nominal sum, if anything. (If you need the skis serviced as well, no shop should charge extra).
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
Someone who is unfamiliar with bindings is unlikely to know how to read a forward pressure indicator, if they even know what that is, and there are several different designs. The first problem is to figure out what the binding model is, therefore how to read its FP indicator.

Not that difficult to google the name of the bindings and find out how to adjust the pressure. All 3 pairs of my skis have a different indicator but I've easily found out how to set them up.....other than the one that I had the bindings in a different position on each ski, so was basically in telemark stance all day Laughing
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I’m not saying it’s not easy to figure out, I’m saying that people who hang out on all day on a ski forum have a tendency to assume knowledge that isn’t there, based on their own ability to absorb technical info about bindings (who’d have thought? rolling eyes). If someone doesn’t yet know what FP is, they’re not going to know to look for it, let alone whether it’s correct.

So yeah, googling the model and “manual” is a good place to start, unless you haven’t figured out what the model is yet.
snow report
@Scarlet, yeah fair enough, although I didn't have a clue what FP was (or that it even existing) when I got my first pair of skis, instead I did a search on here for how to set up bindings, and went from there.
snow report
No.
snow conditions
Quote:
I’m saying that people who hang out on all day on a ski forum have a tendency to assume knowledge that isn’t there

@Scarlet, are you saying I have no life? Shocked

I know what you meant, but to be fair, the reason I mentioned the forward pressure indicator was not so much an assumption that the OP knew what one was and how to use it, but more to give the OP a thing to google, learn about, locate on their bindings, and learn to use. I'm sure we agree that often the problem with manuals etc is not so much that you don't have the manual, so much as just not knowing what to look for in the manual.
snow report
@CharlieDelta, Google search your binding adjustment, 1mm may not make much difference, half a turn of a screw, but check it out.

Alternatively, pay a visit to a ski shop. wink
snow report
Measure your boots 1st... Whats stamped on the base of a boot isn't usually 100%. Ive had 325 stamped on the side and the boot that measure 320 when I put the tape on them.

Binding wise, if your in doubt take it to a ski shop, what binding is it?
snow report
@lordf, but if you know how to check if the forward pressure is correct, for a small adjustment the boot length is irrelevant.
snow conditions
Short answer - no, but get a shop to check your bindings anyway with your new boots.

Longer answer:-
1 mm is not much and may or may not require an adjustment in forward pressure. But you should most definitely get it checked by a competent shop. As others have said it could be set up wrong already and is critical to correct binding release. If your new boots really are 1 mm shorter, as stated on the boot, forward pressure will be slightly reduced and the binding will be more prone to early release - although probably still within the correct working range of adjustment if set up correctly in the first place i.e. forward pressure within the range of the indicator. If FP was already too tight then the new boots should fit slightly better, if FP was already too loose then it will be even more loose with the new boots (again presuming the stated sole lengths are accurate).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy