Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go at the end of April

Poster: A snowHead
In a moment of weakness (or was it boredom) I’ve booked flights to Geneva on the 19 April, coming back Monday 23 April. At £80 for two people return I figured it was too good to miss out on. I already knew this was ridiculously late in the season and a lot of resorts are already closed by then, but I’m after suggestions for somewhere to go.

So far my thinking is either Chamonix (easy to get to, good high altitude skiing, some nice slush at Brevent Flegere though not ideal for my slightly nervous skiing other half), Val D’Isere (bigger range of skiing to access, probably better for my other half but potentially expensive to find somewhere to stay and a bit of a drive on the Thursday), Tignes (ditto as for Val), Val Thorens (pretty much ditto as for Val but never been so quite like the idea of going there if we can find somewhere reasonably cheap to stop).

Budget for accommodation is about £110 per night between us, prefer a hotel but don’t mind self catering. Oh and will hire a car from GVA for definite, not messing about with transfers.

Are there any suggestions other than the ones above, or do any snowHead have some good hotels to stay at based on past experience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia. Loads of good value hotels. Have a look on the cervinia.it website. You might find there is a resort wide deal on accomm on around this time giving you a free night accomm and 1 day free lift pass if you stay 4 or more nights
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adam123 wrote:
Cervinia. Loads of good value hotels. Have a look on the cervinia.it website. You might find there is a resort wide deal on accomm on around this time giving you a free night accomm and 1 day free lift pass if you stay 4 or more nights

Best part of 3 hrs for the transfer .....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
About the same to Tignes, Val D'Isere or Val Thorens.

Chamonix is the closer option but most of the skiing is lower if I'm not mistaken. Better conditions likely elsewhere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Verbier? Accommodation should be plentiful and cheap that late on. And the skiing is at its best in April IMO
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hadn’t thought of Verbier, might have a look at that option, thanks @BobinCH. Was thinking of Italy but wanted to avoid the cost of the Mont Blanc tunnel if possible.

Don’t mind a three hour drive hence why Tignes etc was on the possible list but don’t land until late on the Thursday night so didn’t really want to be arriving at the resort at something like 2am.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bigtuboflard, try Airbnb if you don’t mind self-catering. Suspect you can negotiate down prices as there will be lots of empty accommodation. I imagine you could also get a hotel room in one of the 3*’s for 150chf per night. They were doing early season deals and may be doing something similar after Easter. It’s 1h45 from Geneva on a clear run.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bigtuboflard,
That date is certainly not "ridiculously late."

Both Espace Killy & the 3 Valleys will be fully open. You will have a great time!

Val Thorens is only a two and a quarter hour drive from Geneva on a good run; & Tignes about 15/20 minutes longer.

You could stay at Albertville on arrival night, or Moutiers, and then have a (not too) early start the morning after.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hope it's not "ridiculously late" as there'll be a whole load of snowHead in VT then for the EosB; Well for the week before that, leaving on the 21st.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with the comments above, definitely not late, I’m heading to Val Thorens on the 30th April. And consequently, I’m obviously going to suggest an Airbnb option in VT!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, I’m liking the idea of Val Thorens, good idea about stopping en route @Bergmeister too. I’ve had a look at Les Menuires as an option, should still be ok to access the higher stuff I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bigtuboflard, IMO Les Menuires is a bit grim and would definitely stay in VT if you can. You’ll also lose a lot of time getting up to the best VT skiing which is where you’re probably going to want to spend most of your time
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd aim for VT if you can, if you hook up with the EOSB there are probably going to be ski tests, coaching available, and obviously a party available almost any time of day or night. I doubt that it will be a lot of use to you on accommodation, but if you are in town you can still join in.

My experience of April in other resorts is that sometimes you get lucky and a cheap end of season deal comes with a load of fresh snow or plenty of base to survive a few days skiing, other times you are dodging puddles, patches of grass or worse. Never had that issue with VT, it seems to hold its snow very well until end of April and you can pretty much guarantee that even if the runs below the centre of town are a bit mushy everything from the first lift upwards is good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with @Digger the dinosaur and @BobinCH, stay in VT if you can - there should be some bargains to be had at that time.

Les Menuires will probably be a slushy mess at that time!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd go for Tignes at that time.
ski holidays
^^^^We're off to Tignes from 22-29 April and will be expecting at least 50% of Espace Killy to be open (as it usually is) at that time.

Another vote for staying en-route. We've used the Budget Etap in Albertville on a number of occasions. Good location next to the motorway; cheap and cheerful; and a decent breakfast available (extra cost but very reasonable).
ski holidays
Is Tignes a better option than VT? Feeling inspired by this thread and we could get to GVA for £22.99 each way... Very Happy
snow report
They are both great in April. VT village is a bit higher while the Tignes glacier goes a little higher. Neither is better - it’s down to personal preference and you’ll find different people coming down on both sides based on their experience / snow conditions the week they were there etc
ski holidays
Another vote for not 'ridiculously late'; I went to Engelberg on April 24 last season - it never stopped snowing! Cool
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
They are both great in April. VT village is a bit higher while the Tignes glacier goes a little higher. Neither is better - it’s down to personal preference and you’ll find different people coming down on both sides based on their experience / snow conditions the week they were there etc

Thank you! Your apartment is stunning, by the way Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Jenniper, thank you - labour of love!

Ps neither is as nice as Verbier 😉
snow report
bigtuboflard,
If you stay in Les Menuires you are only 2 lifts & 1 ski run from Val Thorens. So you could be there in 20 minutes, or less if you get your skates on (instead of your skis! Toofy Grin)
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
@Jenniper, thank you - labour of love!

Ps neither is as nice as Verbier 😉

Yeah I know - my other half is just setting up a new business though so my budget won’t stretch to Verbier Smile (We had a week there in the summer and I remember a simple lunch costing us £70 Laughing )
ski holidays
tignes, no brainer.... book accom late on one of the usual sites e.g. booking.com cheap accom..... cgh do the best value accom that time of year
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy