Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Length of pole for 50/50 pisted versus touring/backcountry skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I'm trying to decide on the 'correct' length of pole to go with for about 50/50 pisted versus touring/backcountry skiing. I'm 5'8" (173cm) tall. Charts suggest a 120cm pole but I'm wondering if the advice would be to go shorter to allow for better performance in the backcountry however I guess this could affect touring performance.

Any recommendations on length and brand/model?

Many thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All I will say...is go for a bigger Basket on your Pole, for Off Piste.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adjustable pole? I’ve just got my first pair of touring skis and on the look out for a set of adjustable poles.

Currently looking at Black Diamond, Leki and Swix. I don’t really want to spend more than £80-100.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For 50/50 I would stay where you are. For alpine I have 120 (I'm 5" 6'), and for tele 115 (and I ski in a very low stance for tele) --- I really notice the shorter length if I skin with the 115. As everyone else has said adjustable are one answer --- but they do have more to break and they are a little heavier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not keen for adjustable - looking for fixed length.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would say the 120cm might be too long, as I’m 6ft and use 125cm, but you might have long legs. Is the grasping the upturned pole under the basket and looking for a 90 degree elbow still valid?

I doubt the charts take into account the stack height of your binding, or the depth of your boots, so you need to measure kitted up to ski.

Even though you dislike adjustable pole, borrow some and work out your perfect length, then buy the nearest option, bearing in mind the majority of poles come in 5cm increments.

As for brands if you are a crasher or equipment loser, consider going cheap, otherwise go for what you fancy, or matches your gear.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 9-02-18 16:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nosiesta, not sure why you would get shorter poles. If you insist on buying fixed length then you have to go for the correct length for skiing and then put some grip tape on the pole so you can use it a shorter length.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This may be worth a read. It is a pretty comprehensive guide, including the slightly different characteristics of On and Off Piste Poles.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buying-guides/the-absolute-guide-to-buying-ski-poles
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Same fixed poles that I’ve used for years for me. Try this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2816184
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nosiesta,
Quote:

Not keen for adjustable

- not sure why you say that?? BD flicklock are very good https://www.backcountryuk.com/black-diamond-flick-lock-traverse-poles-34077-p.asp
... mine are 20yrs old & still going.

As well as using grips below the up-hill handle when side hilling, you can also make one longer / one shorter for the same effect.

(One other great use is when you get on some flat terrain, as you can lengthen them for skating which makes a big difference as you can use your upper body for poling, like XC skiers do.)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah flicklocks are rock solid.

Why would you want anything else?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What is the correct length these days? I'm 5'10'' and use 110cm poles, I like them short, gets you nicely over the front of your skis on piste and got some adjustable komperdells for touring and skinning.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm just under 5'10" and prefer 125's. They are probably a little long for pure piste skiing but for steeps and powder I much prefer them to a shorter pole. I also have BD flicklocks, great poles, light and strong.

Seconded on the sticking big baskets on... The other week I had piste poles with tiny baskets, ventured off into the forest, stopped and fell over as my pole sank up to the handle Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another flicklock user here. 5' 8", generally go for 125cm setting. 115cm feels like I'm going to fall, and 120cm a little odd. Going to stick with the 120cm a little more while away and see how I get on!

Interesting the absolute snow article suggests shorter length for powder, as I definitely prefer the 125cm! Might be my combination of techniques perhaps...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 10-02-18 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@the_doc, 110 way too short IMV.

I’m 5’6 and use 115.

It’ll force you to bend at the waist and stick yer bahookey out. Neither good!
snow report
I just bought fixed poles with long grips, which seem to be getting more common.

Standard length but can grab them lower for deep snow, hiking up or steep traverses. Effectively a quick way to change length without actually adjusting. Not used in anger yet but theory seems good.
snow conditions
@gravity-slave, what did you go for?
snow report
I have some komperdells (?) for the basic touring that I do, no problem with them except occasionally you have to do up the little screws on the clamps.
Surely some of this length stuff depends on the relative lengths of your legs / trunk and arms ?
ski holidays
skitow wrote:
Surely some of this length stuff depends on the relative lengths of your legs / trunk and arms ?

Correct, hence the invert the pole and grab under the basket test, which takes your body ratios into account automatically.
snow report
@skitow, indeed, but at 5 10, I’d think you’d need arms like a gorilla for 110 poles to work.
snow report
Scott Riot 18
Liked the long grip, big basket and quick release straps. And the orange is easy for the wife to spot!

I'm 6 feet tall, always use a 125.

I had a voucher from here so they were under £40!

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pole/scott/riot_18_orange-115151.html

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 10-02-18 11:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@gravity-slave, thanks, look like what I' after. Considered the Black Crows Oxus too. Pricy though.
latest report
I looked at the BC too, would match my skis but they didn't have my size. Grips look really interesting.

Lots more folk seem to be using them on steep and deep type stuff. Looking forward to trying them next week!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@the_doc, 110 way too short IMV.

I’m 5’6 and use 115.

It’ll force you to bend at the waist and stick yer bahookey out. Neither good!

Ah more of a retorical question really, can see what this didn’t come across well on the we!!! 110s have done me fine the last 16ish seasons.
snow report
@the_doc, well, I would guess you'd have noticed any problems!
snow conditions
We sometimes use a drill where we get our clients to grip down the pole when doing pole plants, starting just below the handle and then moving progressively lower down the shaft. Most people break at the waist rather than flexing the legs more deeply to cope with a 'shorter' pole.
snow report
Quote:

Most people break at the waist

That being the problem...
latest report
I'm 174cm and use 2 PART touring Komperdells set to 117cm. Adjust to 150cm for skating. And brilliant 3 year no quibble warranty. Sent an email with pic of date on pole and new bits come back by DHL.
Looking at many skier's ski pole set by the upturned pole method, they can pole plant back on their heels. So on the steep stuff just accelerate on their tails.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get a good quality adjustable touring pole; they're pretty bomb-proof to be honest. If you get a fixed length one there's a good chance you'll need to change baskets anyway as many piste pole baskets are useless off piste.
latest report
I've been enjoying my new Scott poles, maybe a slight exaggeration..! But I like them.
I dumped the straps and find myself adjusting my grip to suit terrain, snow etc. Did a long steep traverse so you gripped the uphill pole lower.
Also managed to bury myself in a powder turn and forward roll out. Came out upright, skiing and still had both poles (and my bobble hat!) so not missing the straps. Came with some nice massive baskets too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy