Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for nervous skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
+1 for Obergurgl. May not be as quiet on the slopes as previous years as there is now a combined Soelden/Gurgls skipass. But lovely easy blues in both ober and hoch.

Can recommend the Sportiv hotel, a cheaper, more relaxed place right next door to the Festkogelbahn - it doesn't have its own spa and pool but you have use of the sister hotel (crystal) facilities reached without going outside.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been very busy over the last few days, thank you. There's a few that have made my shorter list, starting with piste map then onto accommodation preferences, you tube, etc. I'm down to Saalbach, Courchevel Moriond (but worried about too many flats?), Obertauern, Val Cenis (which area is the most convenient to say in?) and Montgenevre. I do love Obergurgl so thank you for that. I love the look of Les Saisies but it looks like mostly apartments and I think I fancy a hotel or chalet this time. I've been to the Sella Ronda a couple of times and it's not calling me back for some reason, I just love the Alps I suppose.

I think I've got my next few seasons sorted Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like both Courchevel and Mongenevre...but if in your shoes, what would swing it for me (if it applies), would be the quality and range of the Ski Schools in Courchevel.

I would take both the above over Obertauern (but it's quite a close decision). I can't comment on the other areas, as I haven't been there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Montgenevre. Green Run from the top to bottom of the mountain is a great confidence builder.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not clear that @Mountain Lover needs to, wants to or is going to use ski schools.

Seems to me actually that you don't need a resort/area with lots of easy runs - what you need is to go at quiet times of the season (less people = less stress and less nervousness) and to go pleasant and quiet resorts - where the mountain environment is the thing. So no mega resorts, big apres ski resorts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Fartbag wrote:
I like both Courchevel and Mongenevre...but if in your shoes, what would swing it for me (if it applies), would be the quality and range of the Ski Schools in Courchevel.

I would take both the above over Obertauern (but it's quite a close decision). I can't comment on the other areas, as I haven't been there.

Just out of interest ofb, why Montgenèvre over obertauern?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski schools aren't something I consider any more really but never say never.

I've found that the further from home I get the more jittery I am, but I feel safe when I'm within reach of resort. I suppose it comes from having to get back with an injury some years ago.

I do go outside of school holidays as quiet slopes are a priority (it didn't make a difference in Cervinia though!).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skied round for montgenvre admittedly only for a day and thought it had some nice long greens and easy blues and was relatively quiet
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bambionskiis wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Just out of interest ofb, why Montgenèvre over obertauern?

It probably came down to the following, with regard to Mongenevre:
- I much preferred the town
- I found the skiing more interesting, with access to a lot more skiing
- Higher, with more vertical drop
- I liked the proximity to Italy, with the ability to skidoo up the mountain and over to Italy, for an evening meal
- I preferred the ski school
- I had better snow (which I suppose is luck of the draw).
- It was less exposed in bad weather

The hotel I stayed in while at Obertauren (Marietta) was much nicer, though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great thanks ofb. Sounds great (apart from the vertical drop bit). We’ve been suffering from weather in obertauern which has been a bit disappointing so less exposed would be an attraction. Plus I love skidoos!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bambionskiis wrote:
Great thanks ofb. Sounds great (apart from the vertical drop bit). We’ve been suffering from weather in obertauern which has been a bit disappointing so less exposed would be an attraction. Plus I love skidoos!

It doesn't have the vertical drop of resorts that have Glaciers and low villages eg Tignes/Les Arcs/La Plagnes.

Resort altitude: 1850m
Lower slopes: 1760m
Upper slopes: 2630m

IIRC It has a fair amount of tree-lined skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bambionskiis wrote:
Plus I love skidoos!

Nederhutte at Obergurgl - the skidoo waits outside for those a little unsteady on their skis and unable to make the journey back to resort.

Also Obergurgl, there's a tucked away mountain restaurant that our ski instructor took us to. There's a "taxi" to take you there, best to pre-book as it's pretty popular although after 200m you'll wish you never bothered!
So, you arrive at the side of the piste, penquin up a steep slope for about 20m to wait for the skidoo. Off the back of the skidoo is a long towrope with knots at intervals. Your task is to hang onto that rope whilst the ski-doo takes you to the restaurant - it's not a straight route, a big part of it is uphill and goes on for far longer than you think your arms will ever be able to bear and hold on. There's also a couple of curvy-swervys which the driver has some fun on depending on the passengers abilities!
The restaurant is lovely when you get there. I'd say do it once if you get the chance... maybe not twice 😁😁
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mountain Lover, I see that Saalbach has made your short list, and it does seem to tick your boxes. (PM me if you would like me to email you my own comprehensive guide to the resort, which other Snowheads have been kind enough to say appreciative things about).
Although it lies in the centre of a big ski area, in which daily itineraries (similar to the Trois Vallees) are the norm, it also lends itself to a more restricted approach, in which the skiing is centred on the mountains immediately surrounding the village. It has an attractive and compact village centre, and six pistes (3 blues, 2 reds, and one not too difficult black) bring you down to the village itself. There is plenty of slopeside and ski-in ski-out accommodation, so convenience needn’t be an issue.
If you fancy venturing a little further afield up or down the Glemm valley, it’s easy to ski down to the valley bottom, if you feel that you’ve had enough, and to catch one of the regular ski buses back to the village.
You can in fact ski all the way around the valley, in an anti-clockwise direction, entirely on blue runs. That takes about 3 hours at a normal pace, although you can curtail it at about four separate points and catch a ski bus back.
If you find yourself gaining in confidence, you have the opportunity to go over to Leogang and/or Fieberbrunn (and from next season possibly also Zell am See).
The Ski Circus has the highest number of gondolas, as well as the highest proportion of fast lifts, of any resort in the world. This means that queues are comparatively rare, especially outside school holidays, and the size of the area disperses people and enables quiet pistes to be found.
Perhaps a less obvious benefit of the efficient lift system and the number of gondolas is that it’s easy to download to the village if you feel so inclined, and also to get from a to b quite quickly. As an illustration of the latter point, last Friday I took a relatively cautious and inexperienced skier over to Fieberbrunn, where there are usually gloriously well-groomed and uncrowded (easy) pistes to be found. Whilst Mrs tt and I skied the more challenging red runs to get over there and back, she happily travelled in the gondolas, and generally we tended to arrive at about the same time. By the end of day our cautious companion felt that she’d not only had a good day’s skiing, but that she’d also travelled some distance and had a bit of an adventure (without over-extending herself).
There are some great mountain restaurants (60 in all and we don’t know a bad one), and you just might find a lively bar or two 😉 (although the extent to which you get involved in apres-ski merriment is very much a personal choice).
Transfer time from Salzburg airport is little over an hour on a good day - obviously longer on Saturdays in peak season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scamper wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:
Plus I love skidoos!

Nederhutte at Obergurgl - the skidoo waits outside for those a little unsteady on their skis and unable to make the journey back to resort.

Also Obergurgl, there's a tucked away mountain restaurant that our ski instructor took us to. There's a "taxi" to take you there, best to pre-book as it's pretty popular although after 200m you'll wish you never bothered!
So, you arrive at the side of the piste, penquin up a steep slope for about 20m to wait for the skidoo. Off the back of the skidoo is a long towrope with knots at intervals. Your task is to hang onto that rope whilst the ski-doo takes you to the restaurant - it's not a straight route, a big part of it is uphill and goes on for far longer than you think your arms will ever be able to bear and hold on. There's also a couple of curvy-swervys which the driver has some fun on depending on the passengers abilities!
The restaurant is lovely when you get there. I'd say do it once if you get the chance... maybe not twice 😁😁

Bloody hell that sounds hard work. My love of skidoos started when I stumbled onto a black, fell over, was trying to get my ski back on when it shot away and careered down the run. So embarrassing. A first aid station was at the bottom and one of the chaps had been watching me (presumably laughing and tutting in equal measure) and came and rescued me thank god. I think I’d still be there now otherwise!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
While not quite the same thing - skidoo taxi takes you to the tobogganing near Obertauern.
https://www.obertauern.com/en/winter-holiday/tobogganing.html.
Back to the subject - there's obviously plenty of choices for resorts and people will push for them based on personal preference.
Seems to me though most resorts you should be able to find at least some nice gentle slopes but its the weather that dictates most how comfortable you're going to feel, so give yourself a bit of a chance and go later in the season.
Not guaranteed of course, but what is?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy