Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ankle injury from Snow and Rock purchased boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I had my most fun skiing during a week in Banff, decided i needed some boots like that when i got back so took the details.

Turned up in (guess where) S&R to find out that those rentals were about 4 sizes too big for me, god knows how i managed to turn in them!

Also S&R fitter found a different pair to the ones I'd researched which were a) better shape for my feet and b) cheaper. +1 to all the previous posts around the roulette of who you get... I lucked out I think but there are goid S&R fitters out there (cue X Files theme tune)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EarthWindandWater, I've only had one pair of boots but I'd say that the fitter I had at S&R was pretty good, especially as I wasn't overly helpful with the feeback I gave...and I'd only done a day of skiing previously so didn't really understand much.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There’s an excellent fitter in S+R in Birmingham.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think S&R fitters fall into a similar venn diagram as people who put bikes together in Halfords...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob wrote:
There’s an excellent fitter in S+R in Birmingham.

There is indeed, he worked for me for a couple of years but the commute was just too much
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CEM, did he not retrain as a plumber in the end?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dp, he started, did 6 weeks, hated it (not sure if it was the job or the person he was working with), i offered him his job back, but the drive was too much every day
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unusually, I was fitted with some boots from Snow & Rock a few years ago that were too small. Had to rent boots for a few days. On my return to the UK, I took them back and had a chat to the manager. He apologised and gave a 100% refund. Was probably amazed one of his fitters had sold boots with a 7mm shell check!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I came to S&R tonight, told them my boots were too big. The guy (not the original fitter) measured it and said both the length and instep was fine to him. He said Salomon has one of the lowest instep and all other brands they carry have higher instep so they've already "tried their best to give me something suitable in their stock", and it's "always their company policy to offer the best from their line as no shop could stock 1,000 different boots". That argument really agitated me and I argued that they should have told me they don't have anything suitable for me and send me away instead.

He offered the 65% buy back, and I pulled out the Consumer Right trick. I told him that both my ski instructor and the boot fitter in 3Vs said my boots were too big so it's not "fit for purpose". He made me explain why I believe in those guys' words but not what S&R staff claimed, and then made his last attempt reiterating in S&R opinion the boots were the best ones for me, in which I replied bluntly "Then I don't think your fitters are experienced enough". Madeye-Smiley

He didn't know how to rebutt my statement, and then quietly offered a 100% refund for everything - boots and customised insoles etc.

Thanks to everyone here who has shared loads of knowledge, given me lots of advices and taught me how to fight this battle. I can't possibly thank you all enough for it.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend (or whatever left of it). Blush Blush
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rosycheekfox, Good for you.

IMV. If you had blamed your boots for your injury, you would have lost credibility....as it was, you stuck to a logical position and got a result. It's a shame S&R didn't do the right thing in the first place, once you had explained your position (ie. without continuing to put up a rather shallow argument). If they were in the right, they were unlikely to have given a full refund.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, I thought the way I went in with crutches sort of intimidated them a little bit... Razz

I did have to state several times to them that I only went to them to buy a pair of boots suitable for ME, rather than simply picking "something from S&R".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rosycheekfox wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I thought the way I went in with crutches sort of intimidated them a little bit... Razz

...unspoken "encouragement" to do the right thing - I like it. I'm not sure how much help you actually needed, as you seem well able to fight your corner. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rosycheekfox, congratulations. Well done for sticking to your guns and getting a positive result.

I hope you get better soon and good luck with your next set of boots. It’s a little bit odd really, but now you know what you know about boot fitting you’re far less likely to end up with a pair of dodgy fitting boots from wherever you end up getting them from.

It’s a shame really, as we should be able to rely on the advice and fitting we get without having to understand the ins and outs of boot fitting, but I’m sure being a knowledgable buyer puts you in a far better position than the usual buyer who doesn’t have much of a clue really.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rosycheekfox wrote:
..... and it's "always their company policy to offer the best from their line as no shop could stock 1,000 different boots".

Everything you need to know about Snow and Rock
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, you guys pointed me in the right direction so it was easier for me as I disputed logic with him rather than technicality. But knowing a few terms under technicality (which I have picked up from this post) definitely helped. Little Angel
snow conditions
@olderscot, thanks very much for the well wishes! We had a really hard core ski instructor this time and she suggested us getting the boots from the fitters in the resort next season. She knows both our level and the fitter well so there is a higher chance of getting the right boots. We might just stick to her suggestion.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy