Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Magfire 10 (168cm) + ELD11 bindings - review part 1

Poster: A snowHead
This is part 1 of my review. They arrived today from Filarinskis - they've got money off at the moment. They look and feel very nice. and are nicely balanced. I think they should turn well. The orange/black graphics match my Salomon XWave 9 boots really well, and it also goes well with the orange Bonfire logo on my jacket. So far I am very pleased.
Part 2 will follow during the week of 18 to 25 Feb when I get to ski them in France (assuming of course my skibag arrives at the same place as me). Actually, part 2 might follow before then if I bother to get up to MK sometime with the kids beforehand.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petemillis, got some Elan Magfire 08's after testing them at the Snowheads/Ellis Brigham ski test at Castleford. Used them for the first time at xmas, and they were fantastic. Gone from RX8's to these as they just "felt right". I wasn't disappointed, stable at speed, carved like on rails, good on the ice. You will love them, I guarantee!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
petemillis, I look forward to your next review. The Magfire 10's seem to be a completely different ski to the 12's that I tested at the end of last season. Widths and radius are different. The 12 has the same dimensions as my M666's and I asked the dealer if the 12 was just the M666 with different graphics, however once I had skied them I realised that that was not the case. My personal view was that the 12's lacked damping, their performance on the groomed was very good however in the worn/icy areas they would judder and let go, not nice as they did rather encourage you to move quite quickly! A run on the same piste 10 mins later proved that the M666's could handle the worn/icy patches much better. Due to the lack of snow late season I was unable to try the 12's offpiste, the M666's I can vouch are excellent offpiste.
One little thing to note, my first pair of M666's the sole started to delaminate at the edges, keep an eye open for this, athough I notice that your base material is different so perhaps that won't be a problem. Have fun, I do snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Man, I've just used the Magfire 10s for the past week - Be Nice please! excellent! More detailed report to follow....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The orange/black graphics match my Salomon XWave 9 boots really well, and it also goes well with the orange Bonfire logo on my jacket. So far I am very pleased.

petemillis, you are such a girl rolling eyes .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maggi, I was even more pleased at the beginning of my trip when I whipped out my goggles and noticed how well the orange frames and reflective orange lenses coordinated with the skis, the boots and the Bonfire embroidered logo on my right sleeve. Chuffed to bits I was as I'd forgotten about the goggles!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
petemillis, Imagine how delighted I was when it was pointed out my new Magfire 12's match my bright green Oakley goggles! (total coincidence obviously). No green detailing to tie in on my jacket however which is disappointing. Love the skis in most conditions but you do need to keep on them to make them work.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick Dawes, Perhaps you can find yourself a decent jacket before next time then!
I did um and ahh about the 12s but was put off by the colour. I would have liked to have compared both the 12 and the 10, but liked the width, sidecut and price of the 10. Did you get a chance to ski the 10s yourself? I wonder how they compare?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now how were these Magfire 10s on the snow?

Conditions on the first morning were freshly bashed icy piste. On my first run without the kids in tow at Drouzin le Mont, I initially had a bit of difficulty edging the skis and they wandered a lot in a straight line. But this was down to me - my first run on any skis is like this as I always start off with cuff buckles on the boots undone to help me get comfortable with my balance.

Then I cranked up the buckles and was massively pleased with the results. The Magfire 10s really did carve turns well, with a really strong edge hold and they would pop from one turn to the next really quickly. Short carved turns down the fall-line initiated by relaxing the outside leg and letting the skis move across underneath me were a doddle. And powerful longer carved turns initiated through extending the inside leg and moving over the skis were likewise, a doddle. And the more I played with them the more fun they became.

The next day we popped over to Pre la Joux and moved onto some steeper bump terrain. I'm not quite so comfortable in moguls, but am getting there. The Magfire 10s were extremely responsive in the moguls and were dead easy to turn as they were unweighted over the tops of the moguls. They're slightly heavier than my old Salomon 1080s but the extra stiffness made them much easier to ski in the bumps. They also held an edge really well on steep icy slopes and were dead easy to ski through the crud off the side of the pistes. As the day progressed the icy snow started to soften a lot and the skis were fantastic then too. Very pleased.

We then spent some days skiing in the Ardent area. Conditions in the canyon (the snowcross area) were superb. And the more I skied, the more I realised that the Magfire 10s really are an excellent ski for everywhere - of course they're not twin tipped skis and so wouldn't be much good for people who like going backwards in the terrain park. I don't do the park so I ain't bovvered. And these are so much better as an all-mountain ski than the Salomon 1080s (both the 04 silver ones and the 05/06 Foil that I have used). In fact, although I love the 1080s, they seem really wishy-washy compared with the Magfire 10s.

I fall over a few times - but that's down to me, not the skis - and have a right ol' laugh. Probably get shown up by a couple of the blokes I'm with as they get down, mainly, staying on two feet. But I don't care.

Saturday brings lots of snow to the Ardent area - now this is lovely as one of the group comments on how much the extra couple of inches of snow that's fallen over lunchtime is slowing him down. The Magfire 10s don't give a toss, and that extra bit of width (125-75-109 sidecut) sees them flying along and carving beautifully. I have a blast skiing down over the bumps under the Lindarets lift finding all the freshest bits of snow, then pick up the speed down an almost deserted run down to Ardent. Then back up again to do the same with my 10 yr old daughter who has got the hang of it now. I let her go ahead a bit, and then chop off some corners just for the sake of going between some trees while I catch her up.

The Magfire 10s, for me, worked perfectly absolutely everywhere. The 168s have a turn radius of 13.3m, and work so so well for short, medium and longs turns of any type. They work fantastically at all speeds. Can't get enough of them and can't wait to get back on the snow - now if only I can convince Mrs PeteMillis that I need to go on the boys long weekend in a week's time.....

I can honestly say that I can't think of a bad word to say about my new toys!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
petemillis, having had 2 1/2 weeks on my Magfire 08's I am similarly delighted with them. They have brought my skiing on a hell of a lot, and seem just as happy turning (be it a short or long turn) or pointed straight down the hill. Can't say what they are like Off Piste, I don't do that, but when we had a load of powder in Saalbach in January, had no problems with it unlike the only previous time I'd seen powder xmas 05 in Chamonix.

The biggest surprise for me tho, after skiing on RX8's which were always good on ice, the Magfires were even better!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charlatanefc, Don't put all the praise on the ski. I suspect your technique has also improved. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, nice of you to say so. I was expecting YOU to say it was completely the ski's Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charlatanefc, My skis were much better than last year. They hold better edges and they go a fair bit quicker. It is all down to my better stance and new found technical skills Cool . That said, whatever the reason it feels good doesn't it Very Happy Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, heh heh heh. I was wondering if the fact that my ale consumption on holiday has gone up might have helped as well Wink

You just need to try some "proper" skiing now, not these dull french motorways NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charlatanefc, I like my dull Italian motorways just as much Very Happy
latest report
So let me see if I got this right, you are reasonably happy with them? Toofy Grin
snow report
Charlatanefc wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, nice of you to say so. I was expecting YOU to say it was completely the ski's Wink

Lets see if they hack that 50cm of fresh that came down last night. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
dan100, the weight of me, there's nowt made that will float me over 50cm Wink
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, I've got some Sugar Daddy's for sale. Bring ya wallet on Sunday wink
latest report
spyderjon,
Quote:

Bring ya wallet on Sunday

I don't need a wallet, I'm a scouser! Got any other interesting artifacts I can lift? Wink

Quote:
I've got some Sugar Daddy's for sale.

I'd keep yer pimping quiet as well Laughing
latest report
Charlatanefc wrote:
dan100, the weight of me, there's nowt made that will float me over 50cm Wink

Large German Dirigibles ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hi I'm transitioning from snowboarding to skiing through a back injury. I had 4.5 hour lesson. And was on the blue on the first hour but I would class myself a novice I'm looming at buying these skis secondhand whilst learning are they suitable for a learner?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy