Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 Days Skiing Near Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

A friend and I are planning a cheeky weekender in Austria 16th to 19th March and I'm looking for some help with accom within an hour or so of Salzburg airport? We'll be landing about midday Friday and leaving late Sunday PM to stay at the airport on Sunday night due to a stupid o'clock flight 1st thing on Monday, so I was hoping someone might have some suggestions for where to stay for Friday and Saturday night to ski Saturday and Sunday?

Was originally looking Obertauern, but none of the hotels seem to want to do a two night stay and I've found a couple of other places in Bag Hofgastein, but we were hoping for somewhere a tad more lively...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mauddib, Flachau, Radstadt, Altenmarkt - only a 45 min journey, stay the 3 nights and set off slightly earlier than rising in a hotel nr the airport. Probably cheaper too
Do a search eg on bookings.com
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just done 3 nights in Flachau. It's a great place. My trip report is not far down the list here. Very close to Salzburg airport and plenty of easily accessible skiing for 2 days. I would imagine you won't have trouble finding short term accommodation either. Just try to find somewhere near one of the lifts, as the village is quite strung out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for Flachau but I understand it is very busy these days. Was relatively unheard of when we started going in late 90's. Only the fact that Innsbruck is more accessible now (via Bristol) that stops us going back. Zauchensee is fab too but might struggle with limited accommodation.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mauddib,
Saalbach would be my choice
transfer @17 euro ew ,airport bus (line2)to main train station on to zell am see, bus, think its (680) from zell or taxi to saalbach should get you there before 3pm if out of airport 12.30 ish to take advantage of the free from 3pm skiing with a 2 day pass then late sun evening return journey to airport hotel as the one on the airport is fine for a bed but doesnt keep the bar open late . We did this in jan , son has just done it to saalbach worked well, try the tourist office website for accom but try to stay in saalbach not hinterglem imo the craic s better
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

@mauddib,
Saalbach would be my choice
transfer @17 euro ew ,airport bus (line2)to main train station on to zell am see, bus, think its (680) from zell or taxi to saalbach should get you there before 3pm if out of airport 12.30 ish to take advantage of the free from 3pm skiing with a 2 day pass then late sun evening return journey to airport hotel as the one on the airport is fine for a bed but doesnt keep the bar open late . We did this in jan , son has just done it to saalbach worked well, try the tourist office website for accom but try to stay in saalbach not hinterglem imo the craic s better

...and "White Pearl Mountain Days" starts on 16th March - mountain-top parties at a different restaurant each day for two weeks. Was good last year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The flight departs at 0645 on Monday AM, so staying at the airport is a must pretty much Shocked

Thought about Saalbach / Hinterglemm, Flachau and Wagrain, but not had much look with availability. Guesing it's because it's and Friday and Sat night...

So far I've found a couple of places in Lofer which is great for the airport and we can do both Lofer and Waidring so enough skiing for two days, but not much in way of bars etc and both areas are fairly low - Have skied them before with the family, but not this late in the season.

The other option is Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein, but I'm struggling to find a decent transfer and didn't really want the hassle of hiring a car...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mauddib, will you have a car? booking.com have apts in Radstadt and Altenmarkt for 2 nights very cheap. this one has a shuttle bus

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/pension-sendlhofer.en-gb.html?aid=304142;label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNYBGhQiAEBmAEuwgEKd2luZG93cyAxMMgBDNgBAegBAfgBC5ICAXmoAgM;sid=2c586f21ab06751e573e30950123d620;aer=1;all_sr_blocks=36185001_101842381_0_17_0;bshb=2;checkin=2018-03-16;checkout=2018-03-18;dest_id=-1977078;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;hapos=15;highlighted_blocks=36185001_101842381_0_17_0;hpos=15;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;spdist=7.1;srepoch=1518094440;srfid=32d63c6a0e080b9bdecd3deab0eaa7da5f61ba5cX15;srpvid=4c415ab36e360185;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mauddib, Huber reisen for your taxi transfer. €52 per person return in a shared minibus for flachau and I guess similar for altenmarkt and radstadt
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mauddib, we did bad hofgastein short break january used the train similar to outlined above in my previous post re saalbach . the airport hotel on last night suited an early flight out (eurowings 7.10 am),worked fine and low cost, the awkward bit in hof and gastein was using the ski buses, we wasted a lot of time the first day or so sorting which one where and they finish early . Apres other than the silver bullet in gastein was quite and that wasnt overly exciting, the skiing was good and varied, just use the austrian railway site, will come up with train/bus times ,the bus ( or use a taxi) from the airport runs every 10-15 mins and takes about 20min and picks up directly opposite arrivals across the road near the multi storey and it took us about 15 mins to leave plane and collect baggage on a non weekend day, personally would plumb for saalbach if you can sort accom
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mauddib, it seems that Flangesax's place is Radstadt is probably available
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, it looks like Radstadt tops out lower than Lofer. Does it normally do fairly well for late season snow?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mauddib, I have been there at the end of March when it has been dumping down, but you can get to Zauchensee or Schladming on the bus as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mauddib, the snow line is much lower in Austria, so you do not need mega altitude. The big advantage is that when it does dump it down, you have plenty of tree cover for better visibility. I can totally endorse Haus Suzanne (flangesax's place) in Radstadt. It's right in the centre of Ski Amadé, and only 45 minutes from Salzburg airport.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
definitely book Flangesax place if there is availability.
Chill out about the snow, its pretty ok here this season wink

@holidayloverxx, my best powder skiing the last few year has always been end March beginning April, just powtastic!
snow report
Cheers guys, all of this is really helpful

Had a look at the train to and from Bad G and that looks do-able - 2 hours ish either way...

What's the apres like in Radstadt and also Zauchensee? Also, are there any decent bars in Radstadt? Nothing stupid (well...not both nights), but would like options for later in the evening?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy