Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term drive down - live journey chit chat !

Poster: A snowHead
Lol, 30 seconds later the drizzle has now turned to very fine snow. Nothing to be a problem yet though, good visibility.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dull 600m queue for first peage on A26 at Saint Omer. One lane closed, so it's down to two barriers and no doofer only lane.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 9-02-18 15:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WindOfChange, good call, we use that route when going to those areas. Much easier than queuing up that hill from Cluses when it's really busy. Avoids being tolled again before reaching Cluses. I think it's the original railway route up to the Valley du Giffre, quite picturesque as you climb up the gradient and reach more altitude.

For info, plenty of fuel stations along there after leaving autoroute, plus supermarkets if needed.

Always amuses me as you arrive Tanange, think it's a bakery on the right named "Pan O Lard" with an advertising sign by the road. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are near St Quentin going north to Calais. Minus 1, so warmed up as was minus 3 a few miles back. All white in the fields but road dry and nothing from the sky yet here.. can't be many cars left in UK with roof boxes as all travelling south, but the Belgians are there too a bit ahead.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not spotted any Belgians yet.

Snow started to settle at edges and in the outer lane about halfway between Calais and Saint Quentin.

Seems to have cleared up now though.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 9-02-18 11:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

15 minutes into the tunnel there is still a good UK mobile signal

That's because there's a bilateral agreement between France & UK, covering the deployment of mobile base stations in the tunnel and coordination of frequencies (like at any land border). I worked on it circa 2004 when working at Voda. Toofy Grin

I'm enjoying the updates - vicarious pleasure at other people's trips and anticipation of our travels at Easter.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are now about 25 miles from Calais two miles south of the first toll and the police have been herding all the lorries on the road driving south into overtaking lane. Cones all the way from the toll booths separating the traffic. When we first came across it, on our drive north, the lorries had become stationary.
And due to lack of concentration on the part of the driver, he managed to get in the wrong lane so we have just had to go through the toll again to rejoin the motorway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just dived off the A26 at Fagniers for a fuel fill up at L'Eclerc. Diesel 1.35/litre. Not sure how that compares with other supermarkets but cheaper than the motorway.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avago wrote:
@CaravanSkier, @jonathancarty, it was Christmas 2009........we managed to get on the very last Eurotunnel before they shut it.......complete carnage immediately as we left the train, jackknifed lorries everywhere. It took us 28 hours from Calais to the SkiWelt. We were very new to the whole ski-drive thing back then and learned LOTS of lessons. Wish I'd had the benefit of the SnowHeads community knowledge before that trip snowHead

Our journey through snow on the autoroute out of Calais has to have been a while before 2009, more like 2001 or 02. We drove much later on into the night than we usually did because trying to get off the autoroute into an aire was impossible. Whilst our going was slow we made it through the worst hit area and if I remember correctly parked up in an aire about 4.30 am.

Good luck to all of you driving through snow today!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gazzza, 110 saves quite a bit on fuel, in my car at least (but is deadly dull)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are you there yet?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

warrant he speed limit reduction from 130 to 110.

I don't believe (someone will know otherwise) they do time you between tolls to check average speed - so drive at a speed which is safe for conditions.

I can't get a signal going out, as it is O2 and I'm on 3, but can coming back as 3 roams to French provider who provide FR-UK coverage
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In heavy rain, snow or slippy conditions, do NOT use cruise control. If you have a speed limiter then that should ok to use.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ExSussexSnow wrote:
Quote:

We are on the 7:20 Sat morning train - driving from N London down to Samoens

We are on the same one heading there too. What time do you think you’ll arrive? 6ish?

Depends on how many stops but it’s about 7 hrs driving time. Say if you get over by 9 French time that’s roughly 6pm with an hour stops.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
8 hours driving time I mean.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

Is that to avoid braking to deactivate the cruise mode in those conditions? Puzzled
latest report
Crossed through the tunnel at 0650, on time. Diesel fill in Luxembourg at €1.09/l, and now near Saarbrücken with ~6 hours to run today
snow report
Like @tomj I'm also enjoying reading these in anticipation of our Easter trip!

We're going out Good Friday, leaving stupidly early, probably aiming for an 8am crossing and stopping overnight half an hour north of Chambery. I'm guessing it's not going to be as hectic as half term?

Coming back two weeks later, last Saturday of the Easter holidays.. crossing Saturday afternoon after leaving on Friday and stopping overnight near Dijon I think. Again hoping it won't be too hectic!
snow report
Reading this reminds me of the days of driving to Andorra at 1/2 term, grab kids from school at 2pm for "dentist" 4 hrs south to south Mimms to meet inlaws to look after mutt for the week, 9pm tunnel when the queues had disappeared them drive overnight to arrive in resort in time for lunch and sort ski hire.
snow report
Not driving but just boarded a BA flight at Heathrow.
All seems normal at Heathrow just slightly more kids than normal.
New group boarding system worked well.

Let’s see how the passport queues are like at Geneva.
Since September they have been a lot longer. Never seen the walkway switched on for months as the lines back up.
ski holidays
@muppet, go down left hand side of walkway, past passport check both & double back to approach it from far side.
snow report
@Jonny996,
I’ll have a look, they had put tensa barriers up 2 weeks ago to keep people inline
ski holidays
@Boris,
Quote:

I don't believe (someone will know otherwise) they do time you between tolls to check average speed - so drive at a speed which is safe for conditions.

Quote from Sanef website

6.3. Will it be used for catching me speeding?
The data in our system can’t be used by law enforcement agencies for detecting excessive speed, but please do keep in mind that speeding is very seriously. French police patrols and radar traps employ heavy fines. The speed limit on French roads is 130kph (when it is dry - anyway) – a bit more than in the UK. The time you save with a tag means you won’t have to think about speeding, or the cost of missing the ferry.
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
Frosty the Snowman,

Is that to avoid braking to deactivate the cruise mode in those conditions? Puzzled
If you start to aquaplane or skid then one does not have the instant control of gently lifting your foot from the power. The cruise control just drives you on.
snow report
I've never used cruise control - even driving in one day from the Alps to Portsmouth I've never felt the need of it. Be interested to try, but I suspect it would have the same effect on me as sticking the Autohelm on, in a boat. I don't keep as good a lookout as when I have my hands on the wheel/tiller.

When it's wet French autoroute speed limit is under 70 - don't forget!
latest report
Thanks for the updates so far. We're leaving West London at about 5pm, hoping to get the 21.20 train and then overnight to Arc 1600. 2 'adult' boys and 2 teenage boys. Safe travels every one.
ski holidays
I love cruise control but we drive overnight so for a large chunk of it traffic is really light. It's nice just to be able move the legs and @rse about a bit and ensures a steady but safe pace. Tend not to use it when the traffic is heavy or weather poor. Wife is less keen but she does use it.
snow conditions
Good run. Just got to our hotel in Massieux outside Lyon. Refilled the fuel. Hope tomorrow goes as smoothly!! Two supermarkets next door so going to do the bierre and vin shop, and other non fridge stuff.

Hope everyone is having a good journey.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well we are not going now, as my daughter has mega tonsillitus again, and is not very well at all, Sad so morning at the doctor and then afternoon dealing with various cancellations and insurance companies.....and ESF......guess which seems to be the most difficult.........

So have a good peaceful journey everyone.
snow conditions
@Gazzza, glad you got there.

@Zorrac, oh no!!!
ski holidays
@Zorrac, that's such a shame - hope she gets well soon.
snow report
Good luck drivers. Eventful start to our family trip to Serre Chevalier by Eurostar/TGV... Left (near) Tunbridge wells at 10.24... got to London bridge in good spirits. As we got off I realised that the small suitcase that the boy was in charge of was missing... enough time left for the other half to jump on a train back home to get the case, while the London bridge station staff tried, and failed, to get hold of the miserable old bloke at our local station. Called a neighbour who went to the station, but no sign of the missing case... Balls! We hadn't got it out of the car when I dropped the family and luggage at the station. Case was at this point in our car, parked outside our house!

Best neighbour ever went back to ours, got the spare car key, got the case, took it to the station, met the wife - with a promise to stop the train back up to London until she was on it (fortunately proved unnecessary) and got her and the case back on the train up to London.

She arrived at st Pancras just before they opened for our train.

About an hour into France now and looking snowy. Smile

Bon ski à tous!
ski holidays
Twitter ski traffic updates #SkiTrafficUpdate

Quote:
If you're travelling to Val d'Isere, La Plagne, Courchevel, La Tania, Meribel, Les Menuires and Val Thorens it is likely the traffic lights near Aigueblanche on the road between Albertville and Moutiers will be turned on mid-morning Saturday until late in the day #SkiTrafficUpdate
snow conditions
@UkuleleDave, phew !! Bon voyage.
ski holidays
From http://www.savoie-route.fr/en

The interdepartmental directorate of central-east roads (Direction Interdépartementale des Routes Centre-Est) and the Department of Savoie inform you about traffic conditions on national and departmental roads.

Forecast established on 8 February 2018

Expected traffic

On the way up to the ski resorts:

On the national road 90 (RN90) in Tarentaise valley

Friday : 22000 vehicles are expected between Albertville and Moûtiers

Saturday: 38 000 vehicles between Albertville and Moûtiers. These conditions could slow down the traffic which may be regulated at Aigueblanche on the morning until the end of the day. On the urban fast lane of Chambéry, traffic can be heavy on the afternoon.

Sunday: 20 000 vehicles are expected

Maurienne valley

Saturday, 19 000 vehicles are expected throughout the day.

To get down to the ski resorts:

On the national road 90 (RN90) in Tarentaise valley

Friday : 18000 vehicles are expected

Saturday: 26 000 vehicles are expected between Moûtiers and Albertville. This traffic can be difficult between Bourg-Saint-Maurice and Moûtiers in the morning with a regulation system at the Siaix tunnel. On the Urban Fast Lane of Chambéry, traffic may be difficult to get on the A43 motorway, from the morning’s end to the beginning of the afternoon.

Sunday : 18 000 vehicles are awaited

Maurienne valley

Saturday, 11 000 vehicles are expected throughout the day.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 9-02-18 17:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Our trip has started... and delays on the QE2 bridge are slowing everyone down
ski holidays
@pam w, Thank you, could not risk going and it getting worse, she is rather sad and begged to go, but she has an operation a few days after when we were due back, all her wisdom teeth out, and we could not risk her still being unwell and having it cancelled as she has waited months for it.

There will be...hopefully...skiing at Easter...
ski holidays
Sorry to hear that Zorrac. Hope your daughter gets well soon.
snow conditions
@Zorrac, Shame they can’t get the tonsils at same time as the wizzies. I took a few out (tonsils) when a dental student. Would make sense. Hope all turns out well.
snow report
Just arrived at Eurotunnel after an 8.5 hr journey which should have taken 5 hrs but the M5 was closed and A303 a car park. Everything running 60 mins late. Booked on 2236hrs train, bumped to 2136hrs. I have no idea when that will leave. Busy but not as chaotic as last year.....yet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy