Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Good is this Season?

Poster: A snowHead
How does this season rank so far compared to around the 60 years or so? Is it one of the best ever?

Any guesses on how next year will turn out?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to obertauern last week and there was 250cm on the mountain and it’s still bucketing it down so I guess that would probably constitute a good season. For my part though, I hate skiing in snow and as fast as the pistes were groomed they were covered over again so for me it was t good. We had about 80cm of snow in Norway last year and although it got a bit patchier in places, I preferred it. It’s all subjective I guess.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
for me its been brilliant, I've had three trips this season (I usually only have one) and it was just lucky that it was this season and that all my trips have had brilliant snow. My skiing has come on leaps and bounds. snowHead

Next year will be now snow in the alps until March, and then only slight. Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There won't be any snow next year.

signed for and on behalf of
@Whitegold
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
5 trips so far, 4 to go.

Every one of them has been epic and some have been curtailed because of too much snow!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty damn good I'd say! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@südtirolistdeutsch,

Stonking

Good days in CH - wall to wall Canadian-style fluff but lots of lift closures

Bad days - whole sodding mountain shut due to avi 5 (unheard of since system began) - rockfall city closed roads to Chamonix and drops huge blocks all over the road to vercorin - scary drives up
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not so much in Colorado....Crested Butte was disappointing.....and my Bro had business in Aspen a little while after, and he reported, that if anything, it was worse.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...grin factor 10.1 (on 11 pt scale) this year

Fewer divots out of bases
Less handtuning since less boiler plate
Fewer waxing sessions
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For California, pretty terrible when asking locals. From my experience last week, given it is being reported as the lowest snowfall to date ever, the skiing available at Heavenly and Kirkwood was surprisingly good, mostly in part due to epic snowmaking (at Heavenly at least). I actually rather enjoyed sticking to the groomers in the sun, my second preferred skiing if it’s not a powder day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
5 trips so far, 4 to go.

Every one of them has been epic and some have been curtailed because of too much snow!!

I'm confused. The trips which were curtailed were good (epic)?

doesn't compute
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andorra as usual. Snow levels higher than usual, though they were higher in our first year there (maybe 5 years ago). I didn't take any lessons so confidence was lower at start of week - but I hit a few moguls and found I didn't fall off any more, so confidence started to build. Still some icy sections.

Trying to get to Canada for Easter, haven't booked tickets yet. Lake Louise snow reports seem quite good. Depending on snow conditions, I'll get special training for either deep snow (I can't handle over 3 inches!!) or park, to get confidence in any jumps I might need to do in future.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there anywhere where one can find some snow stats for all the previous years? Conversly, what's a better season than this one? '08/9?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here in Austria snow depths are very good - no stones turned up on even the lowest runs, however since mid January new snowfall has been quite small, and with cold weather some of the lower pistes in busy resorts are scraped and icy. In quieter places conditions are still excellent on piste, but we haven't had a major powder dump for several weeks now. So, good conditions, but not fantastic for us.
Worth bearing in mind that however deep the snow, you only ski on top bit - so the condition of that is what matters.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just look at how many powder days I've had etc etc etc
https://www.strava.com/athletes/398695

Posted from Refuge des Cimes Ceillac
latest report
Austria & SwitzerlNd have plenty enough snow since Xmas for the whole seaspm.

The problem will be in the melt off in the Spring Germany and other Rhine?Danube rivers rise again !
snow report
Banff and Lake Louise are ok now, but locals said it had been very dry up until the end of January.
Have the Alpes really been that good this year? They were great in Dec when I was there. How has the rain on top of the snow affected things? Does the season look good from the viewpoint of the lower resorts?
ski holidays
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:
5 trips so far, 4 to go.

doesn't compute

If you enjoy skiing in deep fresh snow you have to expect to lose a few days because the mountain is storm bound/lifts buried/avalanche risk etc. I'd count a trip as epic if I had 3 or 4 days skiing in deep fresh snow and lost 2 or 3 days to the weather. A week of skiing on hard snow that hasn't been freshened up for ages is no where near as much fun. But each to their own.
ski holidays
Best I've had on Hokkaido in 11 years.
ski holidays
The most snow Ive seen here in all my 17 years of living here. Up on the Dachstein there is still 5 meters Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@südtirolistdeutsch,
Best snow season ever for me in over 30 years skiing. 1st week Dec - Tignes. 3rd week Dec - Arabba. 3rd week Jan - Arabba. 1st week Feb - La Tania. Every single day wonderful conditions.

Next year....???
snow report
On piste this season has been very good or excellent. Terrific snow depth, so no stones or bare patches, and reasonably frequent top-ups to keep things fresh. Right from the beginning of December there has been complete piste coverage to all levels including lowest runs / villages where I've skied. Difficult to imagine on-piste snow being much better than it has been, and that's from the start of December not just the main part of the season. It would be great if this continues through until the end of April.

Off piste I've had some of the best ever days in Europe, with snow (in the first half of December in particular) that was equal in quality to anything I've skied in Japan. Cold, light, deep, with face shots on every turn. Since the very cold start to the season it's warmed to more typical temperatures, perhaps slightly warmer, so although the snow has been plentiful, especially at altitude, it has not been as orgasmically awesome as it was before Christmas. In any other European season those conditions would be epic, but I think I was a little spoiled by how good things were in December.

Weather-wise, if you want a lot of snow you have to accept a lot of weather. So I've lost a few days to high wind and/or high avalanche risk, although not quite as many lost days as in some other resorts. Fortunately Arc 1800 has a few lifts which serve great terrain below the treeline, so when other places have been completely shut down I've had excellent days tree skiing. I've been lucky to have avoided the two or three warm episodes when the rain fell to high altitudes, so no miserable days getting very wet, although those conditions have somewhat killed the off-piste until the next snowfall resets things. I've also avoided the 'snowmageddon' travel days, so no problems on that front. In a typical season I count the number of days with fresh snow - this season I've been counting the number of sunny days! It's not been a high number, and my winter suntan is at a record level of paleness. If skiing under a blue sky is your priority, or good visibility is a necessity I can see that this winter's conditions might not have been good for you.
snow conditions
It's my first season of living in Austria, although I go to work more often than I ski. Where I live it has been 'white over' since early November. Many of the ski areas opened early and conditions have generally been fabulous. In fairness my favorite conditions are hard and smooth (no giggling at the back of the class) and it's often been a lot bumpier than that, but snow is snow, as long as it is white and plentiful, what's not to like.

In terms of weather, it's often been colder than I could ever have imagined. A train platform at -18 is a whole new experience. I've never minded driving in snow, but this first winter in Austria has been a bit of a baptism of fire on that front! And like rob@rar, I definitely do not have a goggle tan. Maybe March can deliver that nice round yellow thing in the sky...
ski holidays
Epic between the storms and the rain.
ski holidays
Measure it by the significantly fewer spats in the weather threads. Toofy Grin
latest report
Personally, Rubbish.....

Was in Sauze D'Oux just after NY and it rained to the top. Piste skiing was okish, but offpiste was shot. It started snowing as we left and didn't stop for 2 days and a metre or more....

Then I went to Colorado and went catskiing on windblown crud. Some of the toughest skiing I've ever done.

1 trip to go to save the season...
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:
5 trips so far, 4 to go.

doesn't compute

By curtailed, I mean we lost some time because of too much snow. This normally meant the next day was thigh deep powder.
latest report
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:
Is there anywhere where one can find some snow stats for all the previous years? Conversly, what's a better season than this one? '08/9?

yes

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/St_Anton_am_Arlberg_snow_history.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seen a lot of snow but also a lot of rain , I have seen three very decent snowfalls wiped out next day by heavy rainfall to a high altitude , two at New Year and one mid Jan . At half term great cold ski conditions followed by two rain days at the end of the week . So far it’s been a real rollercoaster with very high peaks but also some very depressing lows .

But with the deep snow depths , the season will last and I feel the best is yet to come this Spring .
snow report
Very good season so far. Two weeks at Christmas; two long week-ends and half term in the Southern Alps. Predominately off-piste which has been very good. Pistes have been in excellent condition. Only one bad day; when we visited Claviere with the intention of skiing over to Sestriere. Piste conditions very hard and scraped in San Sicario so turned back.
ski holidays
Next year? No idea.

However, I am hopeful that all those jealous people who didn’t book early weeks will behave as usual and believe that next year will be identical. And book early weeks.

I can only really speak for my local areas. Chamonix is having a generally excellent season - the biggest issues being snow clearing and avalanches.

But more or less, the pistes were assured for the year by new year’s eve.

That’s pretty cool.

More cool is that the authorities understand that Cham generally needs more easy terrain and at altitude so xcitingly they are going to shape beginner and intermediate pistes just below Plan Joran for next winter.

Lower resorts, it’s so very clear that skiing sub 1,400m is increasingly unpredictable.

I don’t see that improving.

Should you avoid e.g. Morzine? Absolutely not. Amazing infrastructure at almost every level from transfers to accommodation, lovely village, etc.
snow report
Just past the halfway point this year and its going very well, particularly in the south east of the Alps where they have had no lost days, lots of sunshine, no rain and regular top ups of new snow.

Closer to home Scotland has a good base, particularly in the west and the east looks like it will get some more snow later next week. Its about to get cold across the UK (and the Alps) and hopefully we will get a top up soon here in the Pennines. Raise has excellent cover (they were open yesterday), if somewhat hard packed.

The prospects for spring skiing across the Alps, but particularly in the north west alps (and Scotland) look good right now.

Climate change is really depressing, particularly for skiers, but its slightly reassuring that we can still get good seasons occasionally.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Lower resorts, it’s so very clear that skiing sub 1,400m is increasingly unpredictable.
I don’t see that improving.

This phrase is a bit misleading for visitors to Austria where there's a lot of skiing at altitudes lower than 1,000m and a much lower snowline. If anything the lower slopes have been better this season as tree cover provides better shelter and visibility in blizzard conditions. There's been very little rain at valley level, I can only think of a couple of days, just a lot of snow and generally cold temperatures. Right now I'm sitting in my studio in Salzburg altitude 440m watching the snow fall.
latest report
@queenie pretty please, I did say I was only referring to my local areas...
latest report
deleted as wrong
snow conditions
It's been business as usual in the Okanagan so far. Plenty of powder and a 3m base. Hope it continues through into April
snow report
For us, lots of rain even way above 2000 meters at times. Lots of ice. Very warm January, warm start to February. Surprisingly worse at lower levels than February last year. The "home run" today was a bit of a challange

Hopefully March, April, when we tend to head a bit higher, should be better.
snow report
@davidof, yuck! Is that Chamrousse? What altitude?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@davidof, yuck! Is that Chamrousse? What altitude?

No, Chamrousse is ok as it is high but rammed this week. It is St Pierre de Chartreuse, all the little resorts have suffered with the rain this season but it is around here, things are much better at the saem altitude in the Bauges, Beaufortain etc.
ski holidays
@davidof, yikes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy