Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding mount position?

Poster: A snowHead
One for Spyderjon?

I picked up some as new skis before heading out to Austria last week, not giving much thought to the bindings other than din settings and if my boot fitted.
They took two days to really get used to them but skied far better than any other wideish ski that I have tried. Now I'm home, I'm looking closer at the bindings as they appear to be further forward than usual and even with tje5rear binding as far forward as it will go, the forward pressure indicator is not quite 3in 3out as recommended. There isn't the usual "centre boot" mark on the ski either.
They will be a piste & powder ski, I'm too old for the park!
Do I
A if it works, don't fix it
B remount the bindings
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Marks on the boot & ski
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Make/model/length of ski?
Make/model of binding?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PS how do you edit the thread title rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The mounting marks are those vertical lines on the sidewall. They're mounted on the ski centre/park line. I'd have mounted them on the all mtn/freeride line (ie 11 graduations back) unless you'd have stated an alternative preference. To me that's a f**k up. Did you get them from Glisshop/Snowinn as I've seen loads of mounts from them that've been screwed up like that?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tangowaggon wrote:

Click on the scissors icon on the original/first post to edit the title.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They look like Head/Tyrolia Attack bindings from that 'distant' pic. Post a close-up pic of the forward pressure indicator with the boot installed.

You can see in your pic how far forward the boot is and how much tail there is. On hard pack you'll get great turn initiation/front end bite which'd would suit your carvy style but I'd be concerned that you'd loose the tail. And in soft stuff you'll negate a lot of the rocker effect, especially as you're probably skiing them one size short wink

Unless you're a park rat or doing loads of switch it's a screw up & a new ski time but if you like 'em then that's all that matters.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just re-read your OP and saw the words 'as new' (as opposed to new) so were they bought used/pre-mounted? If yes then that's probably why they were being sold - which is fine if you get 'em at the right price with sufficient saving to fund a remount if wanted.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

They are attack 13s on 181 head venturi 95s
I'm guessing that "R" is recommended?
It looks like if I had the bindings remounted to the rcommended points, the new screw holes would be nowhere near the old ones!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
By my reconing, the front binding needs to come back by ~50mm and the rear by ~30 as they look like they were mounted for a boot 20mm longer than mine.
They certainly carve! But didn't float in the soft stuff as much as I would have thought and often felt like the tails were "too big" for want of a better expression, in the bumps and other spots, which ties in with what Jon says
I might get them remounted when I get to Gressonay.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 5-02-18 18:46; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tangowaggon wrote:

FIFY Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

FIFY Very Happy

Ta Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not being controversial or anything, but if you like them... maybe just get the bindings mounted so they actually fit your ski boots?
latest report
Next thread when he gets them remounted will be moaning about how they don't carve as well and all fat skis are crap 😉
latest report
@tangowaggon, the Attacks have a rectangular mounting pattern at the toe with 55mm seperation between the front & rear screws so if you move the toe back by that much you can mount the front screws in the existing rear holes meaning there's two less new holes to drill. Just check in advance to see if that'd move you back enough.

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Next thread when he gets them remounted will be moaning about how they don't carve as well and all fat skis are crap 😉

You beat me to it!
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Very Happy I was keeping my head down, waiting for that one to come over Very Happy
ski holidays
srsly, @tangowaggon, given your feedback elsewhere, if you liked them...

I don't think there's any functional disadvantage to being forward mounted, they'll just feel snappier/shorter, IME.

YMMV.
snow report

Shocked looks like someone has had a right mess about with these skis! The bindings are screwed into inserts and the rears have been moved once already.
Putting the front binding on as Jon suggests using the rear two holes puts my boot centre ~3mm forward of the recommended position. I think I'll mount the front binding as Jon suggests and move the rear accordingly. I'll leave the inserts in place and fill with ski wax such that it will be easy to melt it out if moving the bindings back doesn't work for me.
As I say, they ski better than any other wide ski that I have tried but there are some quirks that suggest that the bindings are too far forward for me.
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, 3mm forward will not be noticeable. If Jon's solution of putting the fronts back to the original holes works for BSL, I wouldn't be making more almost unnecessary holes...
latest report
They look knock-in brass inserts (ie a poor mans helicoil). Whoever mounted them must've Makita'd the screws in so hard that they had spinners on every hole and then had to repair each one (no one in their right mind would deliberately put those inserts in from the start).

Looks like the inserts are sitting a tad proud off the top sheet - if so you need to file/grind them down flush so that the bindings are sitting flat on the top sheet as opposed to slightly raised of it which will put tremendous on the screws/inserts instead of spreading that force across the ski.

Those inserts aren't captive to make sure you put some exterior PVA in them before installing the mounting screws to ensure there's no water ingress.

I hope you didn't pay much for them!
snow report

Job done! Re using the rear two of the front binding mounts puts the boot centre exactly on the recommended point and I managed to get forward pressure almost exact. I was a bit concerned about drill depth but found a 4mm depth stop so set this at screw depth +1mm. Roll on the gnarlibug for the first test.
Not ideal but as I said they were as new without even a scratch on the bases and hadn't even had a first wax, I doubt that I would have got much better for <£276
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, you are going to hate them when you ski on them...
snow report
Get some Very Happy stickers from Admin to put over those front holes NehNeh
snow report

Just compared the 181cm venturis to my other 170cm skis, this photo is with the bindings in the new "recommended" position, the extra 11cm is all in the tail, no wonder they felt "too much tail" with the bindings 55mm even further forward, though the rear rocker/ twin tip means none of the additional 11cm is normally on the snow. Putting them on the scales, they are 100g lighter than the Rallys and 200g lighter than the 1100s.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:

Just compared the 181cm venturis to my other 170cm skis, this photo is with the bindings in the new "recommended" position, the extra 11cm is all in the tail, no wonder they felt "too much tail" with the bindings 55mm even further forward, though the rear rocker/ twin tip means none of the additional 11cm is normally on the snow. Putting them on the scales, they are 100g lighter than the Rallys and 200g lighter than the 1100s.

Hi, did you try them with the new binding position?
It is funny but I have the same skis, same size, same bindings mounted 1cm behind the ski center and was considering remounting them on the r mark.
I have only skied them half day on ice and really liked how they carve and how easy they turn.
Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy