Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski in Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, all you lovely Snowhead people, I would like to ask for some advice.
I have the chance of a few days off next week, and am fancying a drive north. I've been to Cairngorm a few times, but would like to try something new - Glenshee, Glencoe, or Nevis. Maybe even do one each day.
Would really appreciate folks' thoughts on where to stay, and the charms of the different ski areas.
PS am driving from Teesside.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They're all looking good at the moment, and the long term forecast is promising.

Glenshee has the most in the way of intermediate cruisey runs (claims 40km, though probably an exaggeration). Gets busy, but also has the biggest lift capacity, including 3 chairlifts. Best runs probably at either end of the ski area - Cairnwell / Butcharts and Glas Maol. Probably the most sheltered if windy. I've written a guide to the ski area here.

Glencoe is basically one big freeride mountain with a few easier runs on a plateau lower down. Most of the tougher runs are usually unpisted. Interesting terrain features. Big vertical if there's snow to the bottom of the access chair (fairly rare, but not out of the question for next week). Guide here.

Nevis Range has a bit of everything, piste-wise. Back Corries have epic off(-ish) piste, though not fully lift served unless the Braveheart Chair is running (rare). Prone to wind closure, especially if wind direction has an easterly component. Generally the quietest of the three ski centres. Guide here.

It's half term next week for England, and I think Scotland are off til Wednesday. I'd avoid weekends (especially at Glenshee) and go midweek (especially late in the week?) if possible - and depending on weather. Will probably still be busy, but should be bearable if the bulk of each area stays open as they currently are. Assuming you're a reasonably competent skier (i.e. intermediate), you'll have fun at all three, so I'd aim for a day at each. Chance of foul weather at least one of the days is quite likely (can vary greatly between Glenshee and the other two), so come up for as many days as possible to increase your chances of some decent days.

Probably makes sense to do Glencoe and and Nevis on consecutive days as they're close to each other. Then Glenshee at the start or end.

Where to stay? I go for single days, but probably Fort William or Glencoe village for the west; Braemar for Glenshee. Stirling or similar is probably best placed for all three of you want to make a last minute decision depending on weather on the morning.

(I know you're not planning to visit Cairngorm - a good thing, as it'll probably be rammed with holiday crowds anyway.)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 5-02-18 0:36; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Headed up from Bristol this (Sunday) lunchtime: currently in Stirling and heading for Glenshee tomorrow (11/21 lifts open?) - then weather dependent, but should be in Back Corrie's at Aonach Mor on Wednesday then maybe Glencoe Thursday
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glencoe is in great condition at the moment just lying in bed after a amazing weekend wondering how im going to get around today as my legs are a tad sore Laughing . Monday weather is supposed to be good again then its going to go off so make the most of it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KK2z5pJgMdstrZ6v1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/grxCyJ98VAs0aJK22

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QMvhKxFhbtT4eXrh1
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the best advice is to follow the weather forecast the week prior I much prefer the west as the skiing is more fun for me Glencoe in good conditions is amazing fun. Depending on the level of facilities and comfort you want@geoff10, there are the Hobbit camping pods at Glencoe which are great for cheap over night stays and gets you to the front of any queuing nice and early.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you, everyone, for all your great advice! Assuming my boss doesn't change his mind, I think Nevis will do quite nicely.
Again, thanks very much.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geoff10, need to be prepared to be flexible : today at Glenshee was pretty much clagged in, so headed north to the Lecht where it was clear all day. Less extensive skiing, but still a great afternoon sport
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@geoff10, If you can get hold of a copy then the definitive guide book is 'How to Ski in Scotland' by Heather Bashing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@red 27, they teach them young I watched a 8/10 year old wave goodbye to his mum and dad at the top of the access chair at Glencoe and set off to the car park top quarter snow 2nd quarter snow heather 3rd quarter heather the bottom pretty much just gravel....he skied to the cafe. I spoke to his dad who told me he was upset that he wasnt allowed to use his new xmas present skis Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, now sat here in the Glencoe Inn with a beer. Drove up this morning, glorious sunshine and bitterly cold (-8c over Bowes Moor!) Weather closed in as I passed Loch Lomond, arrived at Glencoe in snow. Very windy and misty on top, so a bit challenging, but got a gentle afternoon's skiing in on mainly unpisted snow. Lets hope the forecast is right for tomorrow!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
May see you there: morning skiing Aonach Mor today in great snow & good viz. before coming down to reclaim 1/2 day pass at 1:15pm

Planning to head over to the Coe tomorrow a.m...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, it didn't work out how I expected. Went to Nevis on Thursday morning. Arrived to see 6C on the car temp, raining, and the mist descending over the lifts. Thought, sod this, hate mist. Drove VERY quickly to Cairngorm, and got a great day's skiing - nicely groomed, windblown powder, sunshine! What more could you want? Well, they could have opened M2 just for me!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy