Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Carriers - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking about a car roof rack ski carrier. Any advice, opinions, experience, ideas?

I understand the skis take a hammering, esp on the motorway, but they're quite tough aren't they? Is there a danger to the efficient functioning of the bindings? Is there any way of protecting them?

Don't think there's been a previous thread on this.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges, you can get binding covers stops the grit getting in but I have used cling film to do the same job in the past. the ones I have used are the Thulle ones where the skis are flat and clamped under a bar.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, you're better off carrying skis in a roof box, although the French put down less salt on the roads than they used to, there's still enough to cause serious damage to your skis edges.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges, Don't do it unless you have no other option. The noise from ski's in a bag is horrendous and the bag will never be clean again. If the ski's are uncovered less noise but they get grit blasted Sad Best option is a car with a ski hatch through the back seat or a streamlined roof box. Or equate the cost of the rack against the cost of ski hire Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info guys. I've pretty much decided to get the roofbox only I'm driving a Previa and where I'm going has underground parking and the ceiling's too low...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, Check the actual height of your Previa!! Shocked IFIR it is 182 in the book but is actaully 168 when loaded. Which is OK in car parks with a 180 limit! Very Happy and ski's fit under the seats if placed individually.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, car park's 190. No way will a box fit but there's an uncovered car park opposite. Car's 181 in the book. If it's 168 loaded, any idea what a ski carrier with skis in will take it to? I'm guessing still too high.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, Have a fiddle and see if the ski's will go under the seats individually. Ski rack will probably be almost as high as a streamlined box Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, that's what we did last year, mid-seat mid-row out, skis cleverly inserted and still tightish. This year more skis, more clobber, kids bigger won't tolerate only having one toy or change of clothes and trickier to sedate. I don't think I'll get away without a box. Thinking of Thule Atlantis 780 on the site above.

Edit: actually that's what we did the year before; last year the skis were in bags on the roof rack rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 19-02-06 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skis in the car, kids in the roofbox. Less noise, less mess.

boredsurfin, a friend of mine loaded his wagon and went to the tip, it just fitted under the max height bar. Unfortunately after he'd unloaded it didn't, and he didn't realise until he'd put a nice set of scratches down the roof. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FenlandSkier wrote:
Skis in the car, kids in the roofbox. Less noise, less mess.

boredsurfin, a friend of mine loaded his wagon and went to the tip, it just fitted under the max height bar. Unfortunately after he'd unloaded it didn't, and he didn't realise until he'd put a nice set of scratches down the roof. rolling eyes

Considered both these points. Can't find a roofbox with windows. Didn't like to mention the second one to boredsurfin. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would using a roofbox be an option of you could take it off for the car park? Or would that cause too many headaches with unloading, storage etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier, that's my current plan. When arrive, unload, fold down seats, cover with plastic, put roofbox in car, drive into carpark. Just got to check that there's a good place to load/unload. Should be, I think.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
only just seen this. I use ski roof bars for short journey but they're not a very good idea to have skis on for any time, salt and dirt of the road get on the skis and in the bindings so it's bad. You'd about get away with it if you're careful on the return journey to clean and store the skis.

Boxes are better of course. Also, don't trust the signs that say "180" if you're close to the limit, I've scraped the box a few times when I had a jeep.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, thanks, that's helpful, I'll steer clear. snowHead
ski holidays
actually, I was driving to the ski station this morning with the skis in the rack on the roof and thinking about this, I recall seeing people with covers for their bindings a few years back but I've not seen any for ages. I wonder if you can still get them ?
snow report
slikedges, Time for a new car that can take ski's inside Toofy Grin

Or cost of ski hire v. cost of box Confused
latest report
ise, dunno, but russell above mentioned them too, I think my preferred option is the box anyway though snowHead

boredsurfin, not sure if there's much out there that'll carry three rows of passengers and luggage much better than a previa, so I think I'll have to sell off one of the kids wink
latest report
slikedges, I have heard the new Mercedes M class is huge but I don't think its out in the UK yet. Toofy Grin
Selling a kid is always viable especially when they get to teenage Skullie
ski holidays
boredsurfin, the other big one due out is the Audi Q7, I think. There's also a new Previa out but it's not planned for release in Europe yet.
ski holidays
slikedges, The Q7 was on Top Gear last night, They weren't gushing with enthusiasm Sad Sad
Buy an appartment and leave your ski gear out there, problem solved.
latest report
boredsurfin, yes, that's still in the plan but will have to wait another couple of seasons now.
ski holidays
It is well worth the wait Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy