Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baselayer / Midlayer

Poster: A snowHead
I have always purchase Icebreaker Merino baselayers but are there other cheaper makes which are just as good.

I’m also looking for some mid layers

Anybody got some links to website with deals or discount codes?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try these: https://www.sportpursuit.com/

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/

TK Maxx is also worth a look, both online and in store.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Merino ha ha ha ha , catch up bud it's nearly 2018

https://bambooclothing.co.uk/category/mens-bamboo-baselayers/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/about-our-specialbuys/skiing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under armor coldgear?

or https://www.burntcustard.com/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Base layer = Long sleeve wicking shirt
Mid layer = T - shirt - nothing special, just a layer to trap air

Then a hoodie

Then a body warmer

Then just a Goretex type lightweight wind and waterproof 'outer layer'

lots of thin layers really
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crikey Extremophile do you ski in the wastes of Canada?

I do the base layer merino (icebreaker is the best I have found and I own numerous), a T-shirt then usually a soft shell jacket. I have a mid-layer down jacket which usually goes into the ABS backpack by 10am. Skiing is a hot sport

Am wearing a non icebreaker merino vest at the mo in my freezing office and it is itchy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
haha... I just get cold easily. So the thin layers keep me warm, and when we stop for coffee I can take my body warmer and lightweight waterproof off and still be warm, and can warm up easily when we re-start.

I haven't even mentioned the scarves (plural), two sets of gloves (inner finger glovers and outer mittens), and the hat. plus the termal trousers and the ski pants!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Merino for me (icebreaker is still far and away the best), converted 10-12 years ago. Smelly hellys a thing of the past. One set of layers for a whole week/2 weeks skiing. No smell , high thermal and wicking qualities. One thing that may be contributing to Extremophiles long list of layers is, assuming the t shirt and hoodie have any cotton in them, that many of the layers have little (or even negative) thermal effect.
Mid layers go merino as well. Only need 2 or maybe 3 merino layers for a days skiing , even somewhere cold. Extra benefit is they come in many degrees of warmth so its easy to make a very flexible system that allows skiing in blazing sunshine one day , and high chill blizzard conditions the next with only a few layer modifications.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As my old mate would say "Be bold, Start cold!" Happy

I tried a merino top from Aldi last year, went straight back, itchy as hell. The new one from Aldi a few weeks ago has settled down after a few washes. I haven't tried IceBreaker of Bambo but my neighbour swears by IceBreaker.....much to his bank managers disapproval wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Icebreaker seems expensive, but it just doesn't seem to wear out, I still have the stuff I originally bought 12 years ago. Compared to other man made fibre systems , which do seem to "tire" or wash out over time, merino just seems pretty much indestructible. I use mine all the time, skiing, hill walking, sailing. It gets a lot of use!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tried some Mizuno base layers (synthetic) last year and they were ace. Warm, breathable, gentle to skin. Used two sets over 6 days of skiing, they never got smelly. Very happy with them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe I need to update my skiing wardrobe. Cotton T- shirt, cotton shirt, and a nice woolly jumper. Very Happy Very Happy Works for me!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I get mine from here as well https://www.sportpursuit.com/ I wear them for coaching rugby / playing golf in the winter and for skiing obviously, never had any problems.

What's with the Bamboo stuff?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Maybe I need to update my skiing wardrobe. Cotton T- shirt, cotton shirt, and a nice woolly jumper. Very Happy Very Happy Works for me!

sounds smelly!!
snow conditions
@Kj82,
Quote:

sounds smelly!!

Nope, not in the slightest. Very Happy Happy combination of clean clothes and not being a naturally sweaty/smelly person. If I was ski touring and had to climb every mountain I might think differently!
ski holidays
@TopGooner, Bamboo being a natural fibre means that bacteria can't grow therefore it won't smell at all.

It's also breathable so will regulate your body temperature as you get warmer, even better if you wear a bamboo t shirt over the top.

No itchy / scratchy at all and best off all its super soft just like my heart. (Ahh)

I've worn everything in some pretty extreme conditions in a previous life and the stuff truly is amazing, no shrinkage, doesn't really wear over quickly, try it, will change your life
snow conditions
@TopGooner, @Esdel, I ordered a bamboo base layer from Sport Pursuit but they cancelled the order so I can't judge its wicking properties but I do have some bamboo socks which I cycle in, in sweaty, rain soaked shoes and they come up smelling almost as fresh as before they went on my feet. So I can testify to the non-smelliness.

A cheap mid layer option might be this cycling jersey from Planet X I ride in it under a softshell in sub zero conditions and I'm lovely and toasty. It's way too hot for me to ski in because I've got an insulated jacket but if I had a hard shell...
ski holidays
I've tried various so called wicking base layers and they just end up smelling. Maybe I haven't spent enough money. I'm not a big sweater and do an active job and find a cotton t shirt is better for skiing and work. If it's really cold then a fleece as a mid layer under my soft shell jacket seems to suffice. However I'm going to Sweden just before Christmas and that might not be enough...
snow report
I almost never wear a mid layer despite skiing Jan and Feb and being quite lightweight, just a thickish synthetic baselayer and my jacket. I'm often alone and very active, If my wife is with me then on a cold day I'll add a thin fleece. Expensive outers but cheap base and mid layers, typically £20.
snow report
Just ordered some Bamboo baselayers, more through curiosity, so it had better be good @Esdel, otherwise I’ll be coming your way ! Very Happy
snow conditions
If the OP wants cheaper ski wear, just don't follow the hype about technical base / mid layers but it is very clear that there is a huge difference from person to person in what is comfortable. I run hot, I must have very inefficient muscles that produce as much heat as movement! I'm certainly not overweight but skids, cotton t shirt and a normal day to day fleece are typically what I have under my jacket and ski troosers, the guys I was sharing a room with once were adding more layers than Shrek.
ski holidays
I've got some bamboo t shirts and socks. I like them - like merino but just not quite as good (less warm, less odour resistant). Better than cotton for sure.

Some people just don't sweat much when they exercise. They can get away with cotton. Those of us who do sweat need something that wicks rather than gets damp next to the skin.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
not being a naturally sweaty/smelly person

How I envy you. Whilst I don't think I'm generally smelly*, the sweat pours off me with any exercise (and I do quite a lot, thanks). All this talk of just an ordinary t-shirt as one of the layers just doesn't work for me. All I get is a cold damp rag between my wicking base layer and breathable outer if I do that. It's really rather unpleasant.

*who would though?
snow report
1969jma wrote:
I have always purchase Icebreaker Merino baselayers but are there other cheaper makes which are just as good.

I’m also looking for some mid layers

Anybody got some links to website with deals or discount codes?

Isobaa merino from Sportspursuit: https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/isobaa

I prefer the soft feel of it to my Icebreaker gear and it’s much cheaper with the SP discounts. Just bought some more for Xmas presents
latest report
Underarmour or Nike compression tops, followed by a Mountain Warehouse base layer jumper and Gore Tex shell has done me well for years. I'll add thin softshell fleece hoodie if its cold.

Icebreaker is good and will last but I've got MW stuff that is 3 years and included a full seasons use and it's just a bit bobbly.. doesn't need to look good!
latest report
UkuleleDave wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
not being a naturally sweaty/smelly person

How I envy you. Whilst I don't think I'm generally smelly*, the sweat pours off me with any exercise (and I do quite a lot, thanks). All this talk of just an ordinary t-shirt as one of the layers just doesn't work for me. All I get is a cold damp rag between my wicking base layer and breathable outer if I do that. It's really rather unpleasant.

*who would though?

I sweat a lot when I excercise and I hate it, when I am skiing, the only time i get sweaty is when its snowing and i cant unzip my jacket, normally, as soon as i feel a bit warm, all vent zips are open and even the front zip of my Jacket. When i was at the start of a long hike offpiste I stripped down to t shirt before the climb, a bit chilly at the start but comfortable by the end, the guy next to me who kept all his gear and helmet on was pouring with sweat and nearly keeled over by the end. When it's -5' it shouldn't be a problem to stay cool.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:

I used to have similar but then was told that cotton trapped moisture which is obviously a problem
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Esdel wrote:
@TopGooner, Bamboo being a natural fibre means that bacteria can't grow therefore it won't smell at all.

No idea what this is about. Cotton is a natural fibre. I have plenty of natural fibres under my arms and they tend to stink after a long day!
ski holidays
Haglofs Astro fleece for midlayer. . .really really comfy, the rolls royce of micro fleeces. Warm and breathable under a shell / perfect with only an insulated vest in spring . . .

I've got half a dozen in different colours - they wash well (no pilling) and are comfy direct to skin if required. Really breathable they keep their shape and size after multiple washes and dry really quickly. Go for the full zip versions as you can vent more effectively and they've also got useful pockets
ski holidays
@BobinCH, +1 Isobaa doesn't itch at all, washes well and keeps it's shape. I've got loads of the stuff from SP. I rate it very highly.
latest report
@Orange200,

All coffee is the same isn't it, i mean coffee is coffee right, hmmmmm.

Happy to educate you,

Cotton

Cotton is a classic crop grown worldwide, and it’s got a long history. Cotton crops can be found growing on aged plantations and on modern organic farms – both providing a popular fiber to the world.
In order for cotton to grow, it needs a great deal of water and lots of TLC. While some organic farms do exist, most cotton is grown with the use of pesticides and other chemical treatments.

Bamboo

Bamboo fiber is naturally round like a tube which makes is soft and supple to the touch. It doesn’t have spurs or burrs in its makeup, and the fibers are extremely long which reduces the amount of piling needed to create fabrics from the raw fibers.
Bamboo fiber has natural antibacterial properties which help keep germs and odor away between washings.
As a wicking material, bamboo is nothing short of amazing! It can hold up to three times its weight in water and it allows itself to let the water evaporate naturally. For people with eczema, this is a real fortune. Bamboo fiber can insulate and comfort while also drawing moisture away from the skin.

Bamboo is light, breathable, wicking, and antibacterial – and it’s a sustainable crop that’s gentle on the earth and our natural resources.
snow report
So the causative phrase “means that” in your original assertion should be deleted and replaced by “and”.

We both learned something new.
snow report
@Esdel, I’m not entirely convinced by all of what you say above. A few points:

Bamboo fibres may, or may not, be ‘round like a tube’ but that’s pretty irrelevant once they have been processed into a solution then ‘regenerated’. Whatever shape the fibres were when they started is neither here nor there.

Bamboo fibres are not long. They are short. Very, very short.

Bamboo is simply another raw material for the production of viscose. (AKA rayon, modal etc.)

Natural antibacterial properties. Yes, rayon etc. is better than cotton, but I’m not sure there is any evidence that bamboo is special in anyway.

All of what you say above is relevant to viscose and not specific to bamboo. It doesn’t seem to matter whether viscose is made from bamboo or any other wood pulp.

Yes, bamboo is a sustainable and environmentally friendly plant to grow. However, the manufacturing process is not very environmentally friendly and it would be a mistake to regard it as remotely green, especially if it is being processed in the Far East where environmental protection standards are likely to be inferior to what you would find in the West.

IMO, far better to stick to good Austrian made viscose. They are one of the world leaders.

(Bamboo linen is a little different, but the quantity of that is so small as to be negligible)

FWIW, The BAM clothing you linked to is not bamboo linen, but just good ol’ Viscose.
ski holidays
I can't believe people are wearing cotton layers to ski in. It absorbs moisture i.e. sweat so will make you uncomfortable. I walk a lot on countryside trails all year round and use the same gear to ski in which is generally base layer, fleece (light or mid Berghaus polartec depending on temperature) and waterproof outer (goretex). Base layers are usually technical polyester, Lowe Alpine in my case. I have a merino one and, as stated, they work well and don't get smelly. Did 10 miles today along Kennet and Avon canal. No sweating.
snow report
@billb, I’m not suggesting cotton is technically superior, simply that for me it does the job very well. In much the same way that the latest BMW might be technically superior to a five year old Audi but the latter will do the job extremely well too.

I’m not sure how fast you were walking along the canal today, but I’m not sure I’d expect to sweat at all on a ten mile flattish walk.

Whereabouts on the canal were you? My neck of the woods.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 7-12-17 20:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
foxtrotzulu, you forgot to mention the bamboo clothing in Esdel, link - Bam - is nearly 30 % cotton, which as we know isn't that good for baselayers Toofy Grin

I have some Bamboo clothing, its soft and comfortable to wear - had some for years. Wouldn't want to wear it for a baselayer, much prefer merino for that, having tried both. Silks good too btw Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Bones, Yes, I did notice the 28% cotton, but I thought I’d made my point by that stage!
snow conditions
billb wrote:
I can't believe people are wearing cotton layers to ski in. It absorbs moisture i.e. sweat so will make you uncomfortable. I walk a lot on countryside trails all year round and use the same gear to ski in which is generally base layer, fleece (light or mid Berghaus polartec depending on temperature) and waterproof outer (goretex). Base layers are usually technical polyester, Lowe Alpine in my case. I have a merino one and, as stated, they work well and don't get smelly. Did 10 miles today along Kennet and Avon canal. No sweating.

I've been using a cotton t shirt as a base layer for 30+ years, never found it uncomfortable or cold or smelly unlike the BS spouted by the marketeers about technical (and expensive) fabrics. Walking 10 miles along a canal path at this time of year shouldn't get you sweating in any case.
snow report
Can't fault the decathlon baselayers at all in my experience.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy