Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2019 suggestions for mixed obsessed/take-it-or-leave-it party

Poster: A snowHead
After my 2 weeks in Austria this year with my wife, I feel I may have overdone it somewhat...
She's not so keen to do every hour possible skiing, whereas I am. So the solution is a mixed party.
So far there's 6 of us, all like skiing but 3 would prefer to spend a mellow hour or 2 in a nice mountain hut sipping hot chocolate or gluhwein, and the other 3 want to hare about doing every run possible.
Any suggestions? It'll have to be 2nd and/or 3rd week of January, skiers range from slightly nervous intermediate to pretty-darned-good, between 45-55. Big ski areas preferable, not fussed about bangin' choons at apres ski, just decent food and drink.
Accommodation suggestions welcome too!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach!! Lots of good mountain huts and large ski area.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Portes du Soleil (ideally Chatel) - loads of lovely mountain huts to sip your gluhwien but also big ski area.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was in Saalbach 3 years ago - definitely on the list again.
Was thinking about Portes de Soleil - St Jean d'Aulps look nice apart from skibusing to Morzine once we've done the local area...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zermatt
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Portes du Soleil would be my first rec but not Chatel - the Super Chatel side is rather dated - or at least, the bits we saw as we circuited through it a couple of weeks back. (it has been years since I did that).

I'd choose Morzine, but Avoriaz also works.

St J d'A is rather too out of the way and quiet for my liking. But it has its fans, and I won't argue about it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you perhaps describing the extremes there? First lift max km types vs spending hours in a mountain hut. I suspect most are somewhere in between.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Leonard Smalls, Italy - Corvara or Selva Val Gardena in Dolomiti Ski Area, and on Sella Ronda circuit. That would be my first choice.
France - Megeve, with large linked Evasion Mont Blanc circuit.
Austria - Saalbach-Hinterglemm.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely Portes du Soleil, I agree with @under_a_new_name above. Morzine first choice then Avoriaz, then Les Gets. St J d'A is okay but a bit small and you'd need a car to get to the PdS proper. We always did it DIY, flights to Geneva and transport out (used to be about £25 each way), booked a self-catered chalet through owners direct, alptitude, plus a few others that are easily found on the internet. Or, it's not a bad self-drive if there are at least three in the car otherwise flying and booked transport is cheaper. If you take a car use the large hypermarket on the way to Thonon for supplies, much cheaper than resort prices. Although resort supermarkets are easy to get to if you don't have transport. Lots of bars, many quiet, restaurants and shops are many plus the skiing is huge.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sella Ronda
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Dolomites - yes, but not necessarily the Sella Ronda. Better to stay off the SR. But loads of good restaurants, spectacular scenery - better than the Portes du Soleil. Megeve isn't a bad shout but some of the best restaurants are ruinously expensive. And some of the worst ones aren't cheap, either!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've heard a number of people say "Not Sella Ronda" - is this because it's very busy? Full of loons with a death wish? Rubbish food? I haven't (to my shame!) been skiing in Italy since going to Aprica in the 80s!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Leonard Smalls wrote:
I've heard a number of people say "Not Sella Ronda" - is this because it's very busy? Full of loons with a death wish? Rubbish food? I haven't (to my shame!) been skiing in Italy since going to Aprica in the 80s!

The Sella Ronda route is busy throughout the season.

In most of the Sella Ronda villages you can still ski in areas that are not directly on the route. Staying in a village not on the route is fine, but if you want to visit other areas on or off the route, then you need to allow extra time. Staying in a village on the route just gives you that bit more convenience in my opinion.

As for "rubbish food"!!, not that I have yet experienced, though some may have. Though I will say that the prices seem higher (especially in Alta badia) compared to say the Ski Amade region in Austria!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
The Dolomites - yes, but not necessarily the Sella Ronda. Better to stay off the SR. But loads of good restaurants, spectacular scenery - better than the Portes du Soleil.

Not been to the dolomites yet, but have to agree the view of Avoriaz from some parts of the PdS is not something you'd bother taking a photo of, not a pretty sight in my view. The skiing makes up for it though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shortlist so far is PdS (though there's worries about Jan snowsure-ness), Saalbach (was there 3 years ago before Fieberbrun link) and probably Arraba...
snow conditions
The entire Zillertal valley in Austria?
Perhaps accommodated in or around Mayrhofen ( fab choice of gasthofs and hotels or self catering).
Over 500km on one zillertal superskipass. Then free ski buses to ferry you back to base once you realise you’re not likely to get back from the village field you’ve just slid across without a bus to help as you’re donkeys from the nearest lift. It’s fun, and gives a mild sense of adventure.
No idea how many gluhwein hideouts there are, but I don’t think anyone would complain. Austrian hospitality is pretty good as is the hearty food and wine.
latest report
@Leonard Smalls,
Quote:

Saalbach (was there 3 years ago before Fieberbrun link)

It's been greatly enhanced by the addition of Fieberbrunn and with it a further 70km (30%+) of piste. They are promising us a new link to Zell am See next season, although I heard a rumour that it might deferred for a year whilst a new reservoir and additional snow-making are contructed. You will also find significant improvements to the lift system.
snow report
@Leonard Smalls,
Quote:

I can only imagine people who say that don't want anyone else going there, so as to keep it to themselves.
I skied twice in the Dolomites this season so far. Compared with EK, 3V, PdS, PdSki I didn't find it busy at all. Apart from a few slopes immediately around Selva one day and even then not too bad.
Lift system superb. Scenery amazing. Food consistently very good and about 2/3rds price of similar French areas. Over 1000kms of well groomed piste.
Full of loons? Not so as I noticed, although the snowHeads Bash group didn't arrive until 2 weeks after me (wash my mouth out).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy