Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to Skiing and Snowheads

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings. (Mods, please move if not the appropriate place.)
Last Saturday, for the first time in since I was 12 (41 now) I went skiing! Working 70 miles from Glenshee, I had a group lesson on the nursersy slopes. Good fun, and after lunch took myself down a couple of 'green' runs. Was, in restrospect, a bit out of my ability level-I know it's bloody obvious, but the proper slopes are a fair bit steeper than the nursery slopes! They were also quite icy. Took a couple of tumbles but enjoyed myself immensely and spent most of last week thinking about it and boring my colleagues. On Friday I was back, this time for a private one two one lesson. (I've realised one of the problems with the group lesson was that I looked reasonably comfortable and competent so the ones that could not stay upright got all the attention.) Ally did a great job of developing my control and therefore my confidence. Went up a few times after the lesson by myself to practice (cautiously) until I felt my legs starting to fade so stopped while it was still fun and safe.

Think I'm hooked already (I certainly loved it as a kid, skiing with my parents and Californian-based Aunt at Mammoth mountain, CA.)
I have reduced flexibility in my lower right foot / leg (and reduced strength on that side) as well as a surgical pin in my spine so I suspect I might never achieve a particularly pretty style, but reckon I can make a good stab of moderately competent recreational skiing in time.
Might need to invest in some boots to help with my leg but can get by at present.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-01-18 16:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Wonkyski, welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Wonkyski, welcome to the slippery slope Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Wonkyski, Welcome to Snowheads. Very Happy Very Happy

I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm at Glenshee.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Wonkyski, welcome to snowHeads! Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Wonkyski, welcome from me too!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Wonkyski, welcome aboard
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone!
Bug—r, think I might be addicted already, feel like I did when I first started flying (my profession) unable to think of anything else!
@Rabbie, Off next Friday, looks like some snow between now and then. What do you think?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 27-01-18 23:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowheads! I'd advise you to find another, less expensive and more accessible, hobby, but it sounds like you've already been bitten by the bug snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes indead. Starting gliding at 16 was bad enough but at least led eventually to a reasonably well paid, fairly enjoyable career. But these tendancies probably explain why my current 7 year old Ford focus is the youngest, best (in the sensible, rather than enjoyment sense) car i’ve yet owned!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wonkyski wrote:
Thanks everyone!
bug, think I might be addicted already, feel like I did when I first started flying (my profession) unable to think of anything else!
@Rabbie, Off next Friday, looks like some snow between now and then. What do you think?

A warm welcome to Snowheads. Your sudden addiction sounds oh so familiar. I started skiing last summer in a Snowdome at the tender age of 62, after having tried cross country skiing in the mid 1970’s. I now have all my own gear and am going on my first skiing holiday next week to the Dolomites together with another 100+ Snowheads off the forum. Resistance is futile. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Your eyes are wide open- you already know how to make a small fortune in aviation (start with a large fortune Very Happy ), the principle's the same in skiing. Wife and I started 4 years back aged 58 and 54- just did our 7th trip with 2 more this years to come. Enjoy it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Charliegolf, Yes, I know about the aviation principle of fortune making (assuming you use the same moniker, i think we know each other on another forum!) Hatching cunning plans to get my wife addicted too when she visits my crash pad here in Scotland.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Wonkyski, You on FT?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, pprune. Although only occasionally these days. Frim what I’ve seen so far, Snowheads seems a lot more frienfly and less adversorial!
ski holidays
Wonkyski wrote:
No, pprune. Although only occasionally these days. Frim what I’ve seen so far, Snowheads seems a lot more frienfly and less adversorial!

It can be but watch out for posts on helmets , winter tires, chains and probably common to all forums Brexit. (And if you want to be historical Inner tip lead which I never understood)
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads and the sliding addictionWonkyski snowHead

As a relatively late starter, aged 38, my addiction (passion) has led me to a life in Austria some 16 years on. Not a bad slippery, slidey slope 😜😂
latest report
@Wonkyski, I would suggest that the Lecht is generally more suited for beginners than Glenshee due to the better snow and proximity to Aberdeen. 40 miles extra these days is not much in petrol cost (although prices are rising), but it is time as well.

The Lecht is in a valley which traps snow, and its pistes are up down and mostly not steep. Also non-beginners tend not to ski there, so you do not have to put up with people skiing too fast around you. Worth a try anyway!

It is also likely to be less busy in good snow conditions, than Glenshee which attracts a lot of traffic from Edinburgh.
ski holidays
@Wonkyski, welcome to another nut house. . . . adversarial, moi? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

The reality is, if you want to spend a little less moolah in good company all the time developing confidence and skills . . . then come onna 'bash' Very Happy

Out of prurient interest, how big an Airbus are you certified for . . . And would they miss one for a week or so? wink
latest report
Quote:

It can be but watch out for posts on helmets , winter tires, chains and probably common to all forums Brexit. (And if you want to be historical Inner tip lead which I never understood)

@T Bar, it's a bit much pointing a beginner to ITL - he's just getting into SHs, let's not put him off right away. He should stay away from ITL and Brexit and maybe dip a cautious toe into helmets and winter tyres. wink
snow report
get yourself on some websites for a last minute week somewhere ShockD
snow conditions
@Wonkyski, absolutely fabulous to see someone get the bug. It’s been so long for me (about 30 years skiing, and started relatively late in my early 20s). Was actually the only sport I stuck with and got good at. Skiing has allowed me to see so many things and get to so many places (some a bit scary).. it’s life altering. Welcome and enjoy. Wait till that first perfect power run, get ready for a second mortgage.
snow conditions
@Wonkyski, welcome to the best forum community on any topic anywhere full stop snowHead

I'm an occasional visitor to pprune, It reminds me of the Monty Python argument sketch. Must be a frustrating place for people who actually know what they're talking about. @Masque, got to be worth a shot Laughing
snow report
Wonkyski wrote:
Thanks everyone!
Bug—r, think I might be addicted already, feel like I did when I first started flying (my profession) unable to think of anything else!

Unfortunately I cant make next friday as I am off on a weeks holiday next Saturday with Awdbugga and a lot of other snowheads. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Where abouts are you based at prersent.
snow conditions
@Wonkyski, hi, I'm based in Arbroath so Glenshee is my resort of choice too.
I have a couple of pairs of boots I need to shift out the house so if they are any use to you?
latest report
@Rabbie, Too bad, enjoy! I rent in Inverurie (work out of Aberdeen airport.)
@Roguevfr,
Hi It’s possible, I am size 9 with walking / ski type socks on (although just bought dome Aldi ski socks which look a bit thinner!)
I have a slight restriction in my right foot, was wondering if i need some kind of flex design when I get boots. I find the rental boots almost impossible to walk in, look like Douglas Badar!
latest report
Welcome to the forum! It's generally a friendly bunch here!
latest report
@auntie masque, Don’t fly an Airbus, (but it is from the same family and it does have a front hold good for Ski-gear-used to fly occassional ski-charters to Grenoble!) But, yes I think it’d be missed, especially as it’s currently a fleet of one!!!
@Bigtipper, Good idea, in fact a collegue suggested Lecht too. Might give it a go, will let you know how I get on!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Wonkyski & @Charliegolf were you both based at a site that's now unfortunately a barracks?

Recognized at least one one of the pprune names

And @Wonkyski welcome to snowheads
snow report
@Wonkyski, The lemon is in play . . . wink
snow conditions
Quote:

The lemon is in play . . .

Cabin pressure?
ski holidays
@auntie masque, @tomj,
Yes indeed, nice reference, superb series (and with a nice realism behind the humour-the writers’ father was a airline pilot.)
We do have more than one aircraft, just one of the type I fly at present! Although I sometimes think MJN Air might be a preferable employer to my company! 😜
snow report
@skitrack, Almost certainly! I know EDUO is a barracks, not sure about EGVO. Did both back in the last century, '81-'87.
snow conditions
@Wonkyski, I did 'just' get the hours for multi engine instument rating and had the orgasmic joy of throwing a Provost around above Warton Airfield . . . and then life got in the way and I ended up for a tour in a Bell Huey over a sweaty clusterfook Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
@auntie masque, You’re not one of those odd flying windmill drivers, are you? Or were you partial to green and brown makeup? NehNeh
latest report
@Wonkyski, I wuz one of those that needed a boot on the bum to get me out the door Evil or Very Mad then had a specialty change to windmill wrangling . . . fer some reason the numbnuts in charge thought that fixed wing wuz some sort of qualification rolling eyes but then my erratic skills probably made me a harder target . . . till I got run over by a duece and a half whilst I wuz in my bunk . . . don't 'dope and drive' Evil or Very Mad

All ancient history now, but I do miss playing in 3 dimensions so this summer I'll be wearing a 'wingsuit' for the first time Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil GoPro will be on!
latest report
@Wonkyski, welcome to the boards, I was another late starter, but firmly have the bug now, and my wife bought me a flying lesson for Christmas, which I'm hoping I don't get the bug for too as I haven't got one fortune to lose, never mind two!
ski holidays
@Sack the Juggler, go my route . . . falling with style wink

http://youtube.com/v/24MZyFkgEZ8

much more economical . . . .
snow report
@auntie masque, Actually, making an ex plank driver into a windmill wrangler is probably amazingly sensible by military logic standards! Don’t they usuually give people jobs opposite to their skill sets?
Bit suspicious of them windmill thingies myself. There has to be something wrong with an aircraft that generates it’s own adverse weather. WTF is ‘Triggered Lightning’ anyway?

Enjoy the wingsuit, I guess.
Only got a coulple of tandem passenger rides to my name but dropped meat bombs out of (almost) servicable aircraft for years. My boss at the time, after 30 years of ski-diving, made his first (and only) wing-suit jump and had a massive mal! Enjoy!! 😄 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Wonkyski, I'm still analog, these days it's all digital and haptic feedback, I'd need a hammer to read today's cockpit. I've never dropped anything but meatbags Crying or Very sad
I'm looking forward to the long glide, I've a feeling that it may be a little less damaging than the way I slide down the hill Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy