Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginning of March ski weekend near Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Help fellow snowheads.

I have made a bit of a booboo.

At last this year after 5 ski trips, a confidence building Jan trip to Nendaz and some very helpful advice from Snowheads I am getting a bit better at skiing and can do blues and even easy reds, hurray !

So I thought, strike while the iron is hot, persuade husband who is the same standard but considerably less keen than me and more nervous although still professes to enjoy it into a long weekend . I promised him we could go back to Combloux near Megeve where we enjoyed the easy runs and quiet slopes last year, enticed him with thoughts of sitting in the sun drinking hot choc etc. Because of work we could only go 1-6th March so I hurriedly booked some quite expensive Swiss Air flights to Geneva the minute he agreed.

Then I started looking for accomodation in Combloux, and once it became clear pretty much everything was booked up that weekend I remembered rather belatedly that it probably would be a good idea to check the French school holidays and found that this weekend is at the end of the Paris holidays and middle of zone B. Ooops.

So I am not sure where to go. I can find somewhere to stay around Combloux/Cordon/Megeve but I think this area is very popular with Parisians on holiday ? Does anyone know how likely the slopes are to be rammed ? I do not want to traumatise my husband (or me!) with really busy slopes..... Are there any French resorts that are likely to be less busy. I have been to Meribel and Les Arcs before which I didn't like as much but it seemed like most people there were actually English so maybe they are less busy in French holidays ?

I also wondered about a Swiss resort like Villars-Gryon or Leysin which I know not much about apart from they are quite good for beginner ish types, or Courmayeur, but it seems like that has more challenging runs.

Any advice on how busy the French resorts might be, or an alternative not too long a drive from Geneva would be very gratefully received (we were planning on hiring a car from Geneva). a

Thanks !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La clusaz has easy skiing, especially the manigod area. Traditional village with lots of restaurants. Its a nice small resort, only an hour from geneva. My wife and i went last year for a long weekend and are going again this march. She is a nervous skier, but enjoyed the skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It will be fairly busy in French resorts. Through the tunnel to Courmayeur or Aosta/Pila.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, that’s probs what I’d do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Clusaz will be rammed with Parisians - head to Le Grand Bornand instead?
Or the classics: Chatel, Avo, Flaine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You mentioned Nendaz - how about going back there, or trying out Veysonnaz or La Tzoumaz? Switzerland may not be so busy, as you observed. and the £ is stronger against the CHF than it was.

Or How about staying in the valley below Nendaz at a thermal resort and doing the 'wellness' thing with excursions to ski in Veysonnaz or Verbier? Somewhere like the Bains de Saillon (https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/). That way, it's not a 100% skiing break and no pressure to ski if anyone doesn't want to ...

Unlikely, but I assume you can't move your London>Geneva flights with swiss to their London>Sion route? Then you'd drop right into the Valais directly: as you know, Nendaz, Veysonnaz, La Tzoumaz and Verbeir (and Saillon) are closer to Sion than Geneva.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

It will be fairly busy in French resorts. Through the tunnel to Courmayeur or Aosta/Pila.

agree go through the tunnel to Italy Courmayeur or La Thuille . Don’t go to Pila/Aosta first weekend in March , British Schools champs , it will be stuffed full of Children and parents on the lash watching . I will be one of them
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretty convincing advice there, @Rob Mackley, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great, thanks so much for all your tips. I will give Combloux a miss for this year, though will definitely be better organised for next year...Thanks for the tip re the schools thingy Rob, I was tempted by Pila but will give it a miss but hope your child has fun ( and you!)

Great idea to check out the other Swiss 4 valleys resorts - I did like Nendaz and was it was not as expensive as I feared. I can only change the date of the flights not the route apparently, but it is driveable from Geneva I think as we are going for 5 nights with early out and late back flights.

. And will look again at Courmayeur and La Thuile as well as the French resorts patrick! mentioned

Thanks again for all your help !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from La Thuile yesterday. If it doesn't snow again I'm certain it'll still be very good snow cover in a month's time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nendaz is less than 2 hours drive from Geneva. And motorway all of the way to Sion.. Then 25 minutes up the hill and you are there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy