Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The BBC website has a handy video of top tips for winter driving. This seems to include such useful tips as .... use a map, not a satnav.....carry a spare pare of socks.....check you have enough fuel (duh!!). The only thing the video doesn’t mention is ..... winter tyres!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-42953739/five-handy-winter-driving-tips
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@foxtrotzulu, I didn't think you were disputing the need. To be honest, I do not know exactly how to clear the snow off the roof. However, I only maintain that if you're a coach driver in a country which regularly gets a fair amount of snowfall (Sweden does), you should know a) the dangers of too much snow on the roof and b) how to clear it off. As a fellow Northerner, I would expect no less. I would be less surprised if a driver from the south of Spain was ignorant in this matter. Still, the police ordered the driver in this case to clear off the snow, so I'm sure they could think of a way.

Some options I can think of:
- Manually, with an elongated broom, rake or similar.
- Manually, from the top of the roof. (Some coaches are equipped with ladders.)
- Internal heating. I can imagine some coaches even come equipped with roof heaters for this very purpose.
- Hot air.
- Park inside for a long enough time.

Preventive measures are probably the least hassle.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SkiingDad,
Quote:

Some options I can think of:
- Manually, with an elongated broom, rake or similar.
- Manually, from the top of the roof. (Some coaches are equipped with ladders.)
- Internal heating. I can imagine some coaches even come equipped with roof heaters for this very purpose.
- Hot air.
- Park inside for a long enough time.

Preventive measures are probably the least hassle.

I agree that there must be a way but it is quite a challenge. Just looking at some of your sugegstions:
#1 - Is only going to clear snow from the outer 50cm or so, if you are lucky.
#2 - a ladder will only help you reach the 2-3m within range of the ladder unless you fancy climbing on the roof which would be very hazardous. Perhaps a portable ladder that you keep in the 'hold'.
#3,#4 - Yes, but that only works if your coach is equipped with such a system
#5 - Good plan, but once again it only works if the snow arrives while you are at your coach station. Not sure how many coach companies have indoor parking for all their fleet. Some, but not many I suspect. Incidentally, you can get special arches that the coaches drive through to clear the snow. Once again it only works at your home base.

Have a look at this for a little light entertainment. It seems most NY school bus drivers think clearing the snow is unneccessary! http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12189

We need Masque to chip in and advise us

This guy has it sorted...
http://youtube.com/v/gLAZXAOVqBo
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@foxtrotzulu,

#1 - I think the video you link to suggests otherwise. I believe the maximum allowable width is 2.6m. So reaching 1.3m shouldn't be impossible.
#2 - Depends on the coach, I suppose. But sure enough, I'm not going to try and prove this point.
#3 - Agreed, but #4 could be external to the coach.
#5 - Agreed, but I don't think coach companies in Norway, Sweden, Finland etc are able to provide all coaches with indoor garage space either.

The discussion is entertaining. Apparently there's a law against this sort of recklessness in NY too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always clear snow from the roof of the motorhome by using a portable ladder and walking on the roof with a plastic shovel. It's not just the driving but the heat loss from inside will thaw the snow which can refreeze all over the van at night. I've seen people with new £80,000 motorhomes chipping an inch of ice off the headlamps with an ice axe!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For the most part clearing snow from trailers is not done or a practical possibility. Some distribution hubs have an overhead plow-blade mounted on a scaffold for a truck to drive under and scrape 90% of the accumulation off . . . but that can have the consequences of raising the road surface and the trailer nose smacking the blade. rolling eyes

It is an offence in most states over here but rarely enforced . . . unless an accident is the result. . . But then again so is tailgating and if a car is damaged by falling ice they can just as likely be ticketed for driving too close and lose any hope of an insurance claim Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.facebook.com/severeweatherEU/videos/2168559880033768/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the motorway, just short of where you would turn off for Mayrhofen there is a truck stop, the signs for which, I think, indicate they have facilities for the trucks to clear their roofs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

On the motorway, just short of where you would turn off for Mayrhofen there is a truck stop, the signs for which, I think, indicate they have facilities for the trucks to clear their roofs.

A10 near the Tauern tunnel has one as well - driving past you can see a gantry to park next to gain access to the top of trucks etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy