Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for an adult beginner who is only free early or late ski season.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I wanted to ask you all esteemed folks for expert advice. I have previously experienced skiing before but within the confines of a super hurried european trip which allowed me only 1 day of ski lessons, so this time I want to do a prolonged ski school week which would get me up to scratch. However I am limited by the dates I can travel. An early ski journey late November/December would be best, if not somewhere later like March or April.

So, 2 slightly harder questions to ask, what places are good for an early or late ski season, and are these places during these periods suitable for beginners since usually beginners need nursery slopes which may not always be available at the fringes of the season. Hopefully I am not repeating a forum topic which has been answered already. If I have, do point me in the correct direction. Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gfmozart, hi and welcome snowHead

November/December might be the fringe of the season, but March certainly isn't. Early bookings are often a risk, but later ones give you time to see how the season is shaping up and plan the best places to go, so I would definitely wait. Some of the best skiing can be had in March and April, after the snow has had time to accumulate. In a poor snow season, you will still be able to book a high resort like La Plagne or Val Thorens and be fine, though you may find this unnecessary.

If you are not travelling in school holidays (I would avoid them if possible), then there is no reason to book this early.

An often overlooked region is Scandinavia. For beginners, the smaller areas still provide plenty to do and the lesson quality is really very good. Snowfall is generally pretty reliable, and later in the season the short days are behind you. Have a look at Finland, it will probably save you a chunk of cash as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I too would wait, an adult learner will enjoy the experience of learning so much more in the warmer weather of Spring and there is so much more liklihood of decent snow to learn on. As others have said if this holiday is to be a real learners holiday some of the less "popular" countries may well offer a much nicer experience. Have fun.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say go for March. It's not really late season (April is) and snow conditions will be pretty good.
Having done a lot of Xmas skiing when I first started, I'd say conditions then can quite often be sketchy even in high resorts. There are good seasons when that's not the case. You'd also be very unlucky not to get any skiing (esp'if you go high) but expect some thin snow and icy pistes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gfmozart, welcome to snowHeads, +1 for wait until March.

As for booking late, I think that may depend on a) can you avoid school holidays? and b) would you be booking/travelling with others?
If the answer to both questions is yes, I'd wait for a late booking. If the answer to either question is no, a late booking would be more difficult. Travelling solo in school holidays drastically reduces your chances of finding a suitable place and deal. Not impossible, just much more difficult.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with Xmas skiing being sketchy, it was slightly before Xmas when I went and I felt that the snow was icy. I’m not limited to Europe though, more by time and of course english instruction. Thank you al for the advice.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gfmozart, flying (which airport) or driving?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, I'd agree with all the above, but we need more information about you and your plans to provide the best advice. Information including your budget - tight or unlimited, or somewhere in between?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven’t booked any flights yet and my travel partners aren’t firm on their decision yet. It’s rather last minute ( I know ). There is an offer from finnair from Singapore to Stockholm for cheap, so I’m thinking of catching that before jumping from Stockholm to ski destinations. The other alternative during the Nov/dec period is to catch northern lights in Iceland or Norway which would also be a convenient jaunt.

So I was just exploring options and a combined ski northern lights trip may not be too feasible in Scandinavia? Not sure if anybody had any clue to that. But previously I have only traveled to Chamonix. I am open to suggestions though. Hopefully this vague open ended criteria is not too difficult Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gfmozart, ski/northern lights trip is exactly the sort of thing you'll see advertised for Scandinavia. No guarantee though, so you might want to research the best time to see them. I'd think you'd be able to get a 'local' flight to quite a few Scandi resorts from Stockholm fairly easily.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also forgot to mention my budget. I guess comfortable but not Vernier or Courchevel comfortable. I still got a good 2 decades hopefully before my bones have no choice but to enjoy the Russian style skiing.

Will most probably rent equipment. Ski jacket and pants have been requisitioned off bargain bins from MrPorter and Yoox.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But the main purpose of appearing on this forum is purely for skiing only. I understand northern lights is a hit and miss thing, and since it drags u out in the middle of the night, it’s not exactly complementary for a combined skiing trip especially in the context of lessons and you don’t really want to be too tired from exercising previously unknown muscles compounded by late excursions waiting for Godot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Look at northern Finland. In the last week of March/first April in Akaslompolo (the other side of the hill form Yllas) I had bright clear days, plenty of snow, everything open, and I saw the northern lights. I was mostly there for cross-country, but had a couple of days downhill skiing on quiet slopes that were perfect for beginniners/improvers. Being Scandinavia, instruction in English is easy to find.
You don’t get the spectacular Alpine scenery, but it’s very pretty. Alternatively, Åre would be easy to get to from Stockholm.

If you're in Singapore, would Japan be worth looking at? No northern lights, but they're only a hopeful bonus of a European trip anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi guys, thanks so much for your advice.

I decided to ski separately and my ski partner preferred to not cramp up the itinerary with a northern lights trip.

just returned a few weeks ago from Cortina. It snowed when we got there and that lasted all 5 days. I guess I'm up to a good blue now.

I will be leaving this week for Niseko =) Its time to just get the red slope sorted.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
May 2015 - you could ski in Sierra Nevada in the morning & top up your Tan on the Costa Tropica in 80c heat in the afternoon Shocked
snow report
Great stuff - enjoy Japan. My daughter is desperate to visit it so we may well ski there at some point. Considering going next year for the Rugby - purely for research purposes you know!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy