Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Val Claret or Le Lac with 10 year olds

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, we're looking at going back to Tignes again after a great time in Val Claret a couple of years ago. One of the things our daughter enjoyed was sledging down the bowl in the centre, sometimes at lunch and also in the evenings as there were lots of other children doing the same. And we could join in or watch on from Le Coffee in comfort (with drink in hand!). And we enjoyed ski in ski out.

There are two families this time and we need four bedrooms (or three plus sofabed), which is really limiting our options in Val Claret as its fairly last minute (24th-31st March). And so we're also looking at Le Lac, where we've found a great apartment with perfect living space etc. BUT, its over almost as far as the Chardonnet lift, which I guess means maybe a 200-250m walk across to the ski schools in the morning, and uphill walk on the way home. Not ideal.

Questions are, where is best to stay in Le Lac for minimum walking to where ski schools meet (prob Evolution2), and is there anywhere in Le Lac for the kids to sledge where we can watch on from the sideline (bars Razz )?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're booked in to the Taos in Le Lac in a couple of weeks with our 10 year old. It looks pretty handily located, especially for ski school. It will be our first time to Tignes, so I'll be watching this thread with interest, particularly for sledging tips. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in both Le Lac and Val Claret .. I think Le Lac has more choice of activities -swimming pool, ice skating etc..I believe there is also a dedicated sledging area, but have not been there. Also more choice of ski schools , I think
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can the 10 year olds ski a blue - if so you can get to most apartments up there by skiing down Kadjar and down a track to the front of the Bec Rouge. You can also ski down from there. If you have the name of the building I could be more precise.

All sorts of opportunities for sledging in the nursery slopes below the Taos and down by the Lagon in Le Lac centre.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@russellwilmot23, when I had a 5-14 year old, I went for Le Lac almost every time. A few times we were in the Terril Blanc, on lakeside about 10 minutes walk from Maison de Tignes.
Have also stayed in Vanoise in Val Claret, bedroom overlooking base of Tufs lift. Personally I'd prefer Le Lac every time but, if out near Chardonnet lift, some walking has to be accepted. That said, towards the end of March, light until 8pm or beyond, usually not too cold, a walk can be a pleasure!

As research will probably show, the more central Le Lac aka Tignes 2100 apartments are usually significantly more expensive. For example, Taos and Montana Village, both VG quality and location. Especially the latter, for skiing down to ski school meeting point, near bottom of a red run that flattens out as it approaches the lifts (near base of Palafour chair) but reasonable control and confidence still needed. Alternatively, apartments in, for example, Bec Rouge multi-story block (Rue de La Poste) are still very central, usually cheaper, but compromises on space and quality usually. There may be a private market worth expoloring, if you haven't already, eg air bnb?

Hope that helps but if any questions, fire away. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Otherworld, I stayed in the Taos last December. Exceptionally good I thought, provided you don't expect Masterchef cooking facilities. Kitchenette space very limited but everything else about apartments great IMO.
Straight out of boot room back door, short private path (25m?) onto easy piste that takes you down to Chaudanne and Paquis fast detachable chairlifts.

Out of front door, 5 min downhill walk to Toviere gondola, heading broadly in direction towards Val D'Isere. A little further is the excellent pool and sports centre, Le Lagon. As you may know, 1 free pool entry with lift pass.

Sledging I've seen...alongside the Rosset chairlift. Just to the left as the base of Toviere gondola is reached. Possibly on the gentle slope below the lower section of the Paquis chairlift too, very close to Taos back door.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice, all. We decided to go for Le Lac and have booked the accommodation.

But now the ski school availability is low! We usual go with Evolution 2, but they’re full (they weren’t two days ago!!)..

Any recommendations for similar quality English speaking schools?

Cheers Razz
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New Generation, TDC, or Ultimate will all fit the bill.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We’ve ended up split across three schools, which is a result actually - I think we literally took the last three slots across the 11 schools I spoke to!

We’ve driven the last three years but are thinking about getting the Eurostar from Ashford to Bourg. Has anyone tried this? Also I see there is an option to get the train to Paris and then the sleeper to Bourg - I wonder if it’s worth the extra admin for the comfort of a bed versus being sat in the upright chairs from Ashford (there are no more premier standard spaces anymore - but I hear that doesn’t buy you that much more comfort)?

Nearly all sorted - accommodation, ski school and travel - the rest can wait! A bit more work doing it last minute this year, but unavoidable because of work.

Cheers Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're travelling from St Pancras to Bourg on Saturday. I think there is only 5hrs journey time from Paris to Bourg (after changing stations in Paris), so not sure whether it's worth getting beds?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy