Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pizza! Hotdog!

Poster: A snowHead
Just starting skiing again, having not skied since I was 12. Laying in the bath last night, thinking about my lesson and subsequent ‘solo’ session in Glenshee last Friday. I was thinking about my need to develop to parallel when I suddenly remembered something entirely forgotton for nearly 30 years; the Ski school instructors in California cajoling a snake of young skiers down the slope shouting “Pizza! Hotdog! Pizza! Hotdog” as a way of encouraging us to snow-plough turn and parrallel on traverse. Funny how the mind remembers stuff, innit?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/q5thIuCSTkk
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Pizza, French fry" was my first memory from learning as an eight year old in Whistler. That and the kicked grilled cheese sandwiches they had for ski school lunch. Seems mad that was twenty years ago and I still crave the sandwich!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dear God Shocked and I thought I wuz mind fried . . . @Wonkyski, go back to school . . . things have changed . . . a LOT!

or get yersen a snowboard Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
altis wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/q5thIuCSTkk

If you French fry when you should have pizza'd, you're gonna have a bad time
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First heard Pizza, French Fries in Whistler a few years ago. Have never heard in any lesson I have ever had, thank goodness!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That video is horrific BTW. I've only just got over my Mercan and Strayan overdose after 5 days back here. Poor kid.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What a lady's front bottom. Child doesn't know how to slow yet gets pointed down a 300m slope? Parent should be slapped. With a ski.

Was also introduced to Pizza / French Fry in Canada. Had never heard them before (well duh, probably wouldn't hear French Fry in France!!)

Did they change to Hotdog as FreedomFry didn't catch on? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That video is terrifying! Little mite picked up quite an impressive turn of speed!
I wonder, put off for life, or a future winter olympian?

‘Freedom Fries’ quite a long time later! Perhaps it was Pizza-French Fries and I’m mis-remembering. Seem to recall a 9 year old English inner me thinking along the lines of ‘That’s so American! Why don’t they call it the proper name!’ Although I’m not sure why ‘snowplough’ is any more ‘proper’ than Pizza...
Oh, and Snowboard? No thanks, I consider those are to skiing what helicopters are to flying, just not the way a gentleman does it, dear boy. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is where I first heard the term, long before I tried skiing.

http://youtube.com/v/8yU0TP3B6G8
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have seen a beginner 'sit down' on a french fry, on a moderate slope, as if thinking that's a way to reduce their brisk speed...

I have then seen two other expert french fryers attempt the world french fry speed record in order to catch said french fryer prior to their abrupt arrest by a friendly pine tree...

Fortunately, one of them was successful, and no pine trees had to make any arrests.

Sometimes pizza just doesn't come naturally.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are you sure they were not just encouraging their charges to hurry up for lunch
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Are you sure they were not just encouraging their charges to hurry up for lunch

You can just about tell the difference between the expressions of 'thwarted cunning' and '8 lives left...'. Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always preferred the Austrian version - ski instructors shouting "Fighters!" and "Bombers!" at snakes of children. Had to do a double-take to make sure I'd heard it correctly the first time it happened Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
in Sweden my friend, who has been skiing for many many years still says "spaghetti, meatballs, spaghetti, meatballs" as she is going down the piste Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@Sack the Juggler, What are the meatballs?!
snow conditions
An instructor once told Mrs WoC that snowboard turns could be initiated by the small movement of the front hand from the back trouser pocket to the front trouser pocket and vice versa.
She suggested that she thought of two short words to say to herself whilst doing this.
Luckily she was wearing C & A ski pants which made this easier Smile
latest report
Bennisboy wrote:
when you compress and then stand when putting turns together down the slopei Laughing
snow conditions
Sack the Juggler,
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
I still don't get the analogy....
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
Sack the Juggler,
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
I still don't get the analogy....

Me neither but I didn't want to admit Laughing
snow conditions
The only thing I could think of, was making yourself small (and round?) like a Meatball, before getting tall and long like a length of Spaghetti....but that's just grasping at straws (uncooked spaghetti?). Puzzled
snow report
I presume it's some kind of pun - when you make the balls meet by bringing your tensed thighs close together - you 'meet balls'?
latest report
Bennisboy wrote:

Maybe it's for when you're going up a Poma lift? Embarassed
ski holidays
@crosbie, @Orange200, Then there's something strange going on, as it was a young Lady who was saying it.

The plot thickens. Puzzled
snow report
Perhaps it's the balls of the feet that one brings together, to meet each other? Puzzled
snow report
crosbie wrote:
Perhaps it's the balls of the feet that one brings together, to meet each other? Puzzled

...and the Spaghetti? Puzzled

Edit. Scrap that...I'm now not sure I want to know.
latest report
The spaghetti is the birds nest of squiggly wet wormlike things.

Presumably that implies you should let your sweaty arms and legs go totally floppy like those of a squid or octopus?
snow report
crosbie wrote:

Presumably that implies you should let your sweaty arms and legs go totally floppy like those of a squid or octopus?

I bet you Sick-Squid that you're wrong.

As an aside, "How many tickles does it take to make an Octopus laugh?"...."Ten-tickles"

I just thought I'd add that, as this thread has already gone way outside the Piste Markers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
crosbie wrote:

As an aside, "How many tickles does it take to make an Octopus laugh?"...."Ten-tickles"

I just thought I'd add that, as this thread has already gone way outside the Piste Markers.

But they only have 8!

Cool
snow conditions
Bennisboy wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
crosbie wrote:

But they only have 8!

Cool

Oi! Richard Attenborough himself has said that they are called Tentickles, not Eighticles. rolling eyes
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Oi! Richard Attenborough himself has said that they are called Tentickles, not Eighticles. rolling eyes

Now that is what I call a riposte. Laughing
ski holidays
Bennisboy wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
crosbie wrote:

But they only have 8!

Cool

Yeah, the clue is in the name!

Change it to squid and the pedants will be happy Smile
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
The only thing I could think of, was making yourself small (and round?) like a Meatball, before getting tall and long like a length of Spaghetti....but that's just grasping at straws (uncooked spaghetti?). Puzzled
the straws are firmly in your hands, well done! its a swedish thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy