Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norwegian Air - Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at Norwegian Air, and the baggage allowances. Do they allow you take to take a ski bag in as part of your normal hold allowance?

Under the normal Checked Baggage has these restrictions:

Size and weight limits

Pay careful attention to the size and weight of your bags when preparing for your trip.
Each bag must not be heavier than 32 kg or lighter than 2 kg.
Your total amount of checked bags cannot weigh more than 64 kg.
Each bag must not exceed 250 x 79 x 112 cm (L x H x W) with max. circumference 300 cm.

If I go with their "Lowfare+" you get 1 bag upto 20Kg per person, so it looks to me as if we booked those flights we could have 1 of our hold bags a double ski bag, with the two ski's in?

However they do have ski carriage as an option under "Sporting goods" so wanted to check I wasn't missing something.

Thanks all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good question, and useful for us too! Seems to suggest it's ok. If your skis and clothes were in a cardboard box 200 x 30 x 30 cm then it would meet the size requirements. But I suspect the check-in may be eyeing up your ski bag... I would email them to get a statement that its ok, which you can produce on check in. I'll do that myself also.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They have ski's as a specific baggage type to purchase so suspect you may hit a problem if you try otherwise. I've flown with them the last two years and paid for ski's as specific item. You can always email them in advance and ask.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ,
Hi I have used Norwegian air a few times also using lowfare +.
Direct from them, ski bag must go as "Sporting goods".
Unlike BA you cannot substitute ski bag as hold bag.
Due to the length, the ski bag has to be checked in then taken to oversize baggage.
You could try to blag it, not sure if it is worth the hassle, or extra cost if check-in staff know their stuff and insist on following their terms and conditions.
Also been behind a complete tit trying to argue with staff over definition of baggage allowance, even Stevie Wonder could see he was in possession of skis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clavboy, thanks. I just couldn't find anything when I looked at the definition going via the links from the air fare types saying it was excluded. First definitions I found has them well within allowed dimension. It was only when further searching that I find the cost for skis which caused my question here. Where did you find that T&C about not being able to substitute?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If true, its irritating that you could take two bits of wood 2m long, but not skis. But low cost airlines have to make money on every opportunity.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ,
I had to call them re a few changes I wanted to make. I normally flew BA, glw to heathrow then to oslo, great for baggage allowance. But Edinburgh to oslo now much easier for me. I was in the same position as you so phoned them to make sure, the contact did admit it could be confusing and I could chance it with inexperienced staff. But it was risky from the point of cost and limited capacity.
On one of my return journeys there were extra check-in staff quality checking the oversize stuff, it looked like a good source of extra revenue.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clavboy, thanks very much. My options are LHR to Oslo with BA or LGW with Norwegian. Due to family living close to Gatwick i don't have to worry about parking... Despite it being a longer drive it can't often be quicker as well to use Gatwick.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had no problem. Checked in at a kiosk, tagged it myself and straight to oversize.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I had no problem. Checked in at a kiosk, tagged it myself and straight to oversize.

Just to clarify that was skis in your normal baggage allowance?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That could work, unless the machine can't find your booking and you get the "contact a member of staff" message.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In the end BA ended up quite a lot cheaper 504 vs 747.20 and better timing on return flight. Also BA is giving me 23kg per person vs 20kg.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For those that have flown on Norwegian, what is their policy on ski boots? Other airlines I've flown on allow you to check in your boot bag as part of your ski carriage, but can't find details for these guys.

Otherwise I might have to try to fit them in my suitcase
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A recent thread popped up on the Swedish ski forum on taking skis with Norwegian air. People saying they tagged the bag themselves and took it to oversize baggage like @Dave of the Marmottes did. Someone said the airline said it was ok but they take no responsibility for damage to skis if they are not checked as sporting goods, which sounds strange.

https://www.freeride.se/forum/thread.php?t=102745.
latest report
@NickyJ,
BA gives you 46kg / person including the cabin bag.
latest report
I just had an live chat on the web with one of Norwegian's customer service agents. The text is copied below. She said that you can take skis in your normal checked bag, as long as it is within the maximum dimensions.

[10:39:23 AM]Hi, my name is Inna. How may I help you?
[10:39:33 AM]Ian Nunn: Hi Inna,
[10:39:44 AM]Ian Nunn: Hi Inna
[10:41:54 AM]Ian Nunn: I'm currently comparing fares from different airlines for a ski trip to Norway next Spring and I'd like to ask about ski carriage. The maximum dimensions of a normal checked bag stated on your website are big enough for me to fit my ski equipment into. However, i notice that you have an extra charge for sports equipment. Can I pack my skis into my normal checked bag without having to pay extra for ski carriage?
[10:43:53 AM]Inna: Ian, you can book your skis as a special baggage. Or if it will fit in your checked bag you can have it as well. It is not a problem.
[10:45:11 AM]Ian Nunn: That sounds fine. Just to make sure I understand, I can pack my skis into my normal checked bag and not pay extra for special baggage. Is that correct?
[10:46:10 AM]Inna: Yes, that's right. As soon as it will be within our dimensions.
[10:47:09 AM]Ian Nunn: That's great Inna, many thanks for your help. Please could you e-mail me a copy of this conversation, just in case I run into problems at the airport?
[10:47:34 AM]Inna: ure, will do. After we finis this chat
[10:47:39 AM]Inna: *sure
[10:48:10 AM]Ian Nunn: Thank you Inna, you've been very helpful. Have a nice day, goodbye.
[10:48:22 AM]Inna: You are welcome. Have a nice day
[10:48:31 AM]'Ian Nunn' disconnected ('Concluded by Agent').
snow report
Thought I'd double check this with Norwegian before I fly out on Thursday. Got a completely opposite response from Skian;

Martin: Hi, my name is Martin. How may I help you?
Martin: Hi Thomas
Thomas Ridings: Hi Martin
Thomas Ridings: I'm currently comparing fares from different airlines for a ski trip to Norway next Spring and I'd like to ask about ski carriage. The maximum dimensions of a normal checked bag stated on your website are big enough for me to fit my ski equipment into. However, i notice that you have an extra charge for sports equipment. Can I pack my skis into my normal checked bag without having to pay extra for ski carriage?
Martin: Bear with me one more moment.
Martin: No you can't, sport equipment goes in a different place and is not treated as normal bags.

Looks like the £30 sports carriage is needed. Also worth noting that if you have booked hold luggage first it's none refundable.
snow report
@Skian of the South, have you flown with them yet?
snow report
Wow, two completely opposite answers to exactly the same question; incredible. I haven't flown with them yet, my flight is at the beginning of mail. I'll be printing off the reply I got from them and will take it with me to check in. If they try to charge me for ski carriage, I'll produce the printed copy and create merry hell Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Darned auto spell checker. It should have said that my flight is at the beginning of May.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy