Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leaving brake retainers on long term.

Poster: A snowHead
I fancy displaying some skis on a wall at home. They'll be skis that I'm still using, so they'll have bindings. I can use elastic brake retainers to keep the brakes out of the way, but this puts inward (as well as the obvious upward) pressure on the brakes. Is this harmful? I notice the tips of the brakes come inward towards the body of the ski quite a lot under the pressure of the bands. Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not jast take the brakes off?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great question! I had absolutely no idea that you could. I'll look into it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On one of the pairs it looks like the brakes are just held on by two easily-accessible screws, but on the other it looks like they need sliding forward over the binding frame, which I presume means partially dismantling the binding?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What model of binding are they?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One set is an Atomic Warden 13 and the other is a Marker Squire. Can't recall the model number sorry.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All my skis have brakes "locked" with elastic all the time, well except when skiing. I don't know any servicemen in WC that would do it differently either, so I guess it will do just fine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@greengriff, at the risk of coming across as rude or something, this is a pretty dumb question.

In use, your bindings (hopefully) spend 100% of their time brakes up. So taking your question to the extreme, you should never use your skis.

More importantly, why on earth would you think it a good idea to put your skis on the wall as art? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:

More importantly, why on earth would you think it a good idea to put your skis on the wall as art? Puzzled

(fx: Looks up at living room wall )

Well, _old_ skis, preferably wooden, preferably with old bamboo poles and leather boots, can be quite decorative, no? In the right context, at least. Blush

Anything modern enough to have brakes, no, I can't see it either, especially not at home in (presumably) the UK, and with newish skis that you're actually using from time to time.

Then again, beauty, beholder, eye...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No problems with skis on the wall as art, thinking of doing it with my first ever pair myself.

I would query doing it with a pair still in use though. Surely the wax will dry and crack in the air, causing a lot more work on your next service?

When you tie the brakes, you are putting more strain on the spring mechanism than designed for. Over a prolonged period, this may affect the spring mechanism, so not good really.

Tip. If you take the brakes off, make sure you leave the screws in the skis so you know where they are.

I used a roller bag for the first time last year, and the brakes would have stuck out the bottom, just asking for damage to the bag. Mine are the screw type, so just took then off for transport. 5 minutes either end, so no problem.
Just remember to put a screwdriver in your luggage. wink

@under a new name, When you're using skis, the boots put pressure on the bindings to lift the brakes up. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on the skis surely? Icelantics sure - who doesn't want a giant shaman grabbing a dragon by the tail accompanied by a halucinogenic frog on their wall? Maybe even K2s with a classic vomitting clown or spaghetti head.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@greengriff, Thinking laterally, make some "boot plate" in wood to mimic the sole plate of your boot in thickness and form, place plate into binding and lock it down by standing on it.

Et voila, easily stored/displayed skis also suitable for use in carry bag too to get brakes in more convenient position.

Just spray them matt black for display, or make with a nice piece of oak oiled with linseed for that artisan look (oak tannins go darker usually with linseed) or "shou sugi ban" japanese wood burning to bring them black and show grain detail.

Oh, suits you sir Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@brianatab, while technically correct, I can't really see the opposite pressure doing any damage.

@Dave of the Marmottes, so very very wrong
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@greengriff, at the risk of coming across as rude or something, this is a pretty dumb question.

In use, your bindings (hopefully) spend 100% of their time brakes up. So taking your question to the extreme, you should never use your skis.

When your boot is in the bindings, it's pressing down on the brake plate. When the brakes are held by elastic there is considerable inward pressure on the 'prongs' (I don't know what the right word is). It was this inward pressure that concerned me and prompted me to ask the question.

My skis have a thousand good memories attached to them. Seeing them brings me pleasure. It also makes me look forward to the coming season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:

Tip. If you take the brakes off, make sure you leave the screws in the skis so you know where they are.

I used a roller bag for the first time last year, and the brakes would have stuck out the bottom, just asking for damage to the bag. Mine are the screw type, so just took then off for transport. 5 minutes either end, so no problem.
Just remember to put a screwdriver in your luggage. wink

Yep, great tips, thank you.
latest report
ski3 wrote:
@greengriff, Thinking laterally, make some "boot plate" in wood to mimic the sole plate of your boot in thickness and form, place plate into binding and lock it down by standing on it.

Et voila, easily stored/displayed skis also suitable for use in carry bag too to get brakes in more convenient position.

Just spray them matt black for display, or make with a nice piece of oak oiled with linseed for that artisan look (oak tannins go darker usually with linseed) or "shou sugi ban" japanese wood burning to bring them black and show grain detail.

Oh, suits you sir Very Happy

My woodworking skills are limited, to put it mildly! Easier just to remove the brake I think. Although I do love the smell of linseed. And I love Japan too. I will ski there one day, even if I have to sell a kidney or a child to do it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy