Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gopro advice for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I use a head strap (not a headcam helmet mount) most of the time and grab stills from the video more often than use a video.

I've just ordered up a backpack harness mount so will be interesting to see how that works.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Liked my GoPro Session 5 and was able to get some decent footage mainly with chest strap. Lost it so in market for replacement - assume the Hero 8 is the best choice? And the GoPro accessories are expensive. Any reason not to just get a cheap accessories pack like this one?

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/rollei-actioncam-mount-set-outdoor-diverse-halterungen-tasche-actionkamera-zubehoer-10380770?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZTc08_95QIVzLTtCh2fRAfDEAQYAyABEgIU3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a chest strap but was a bit of a faff when wearing a backpack etc hence head strap could just take it off and shove it in a pocket.

Mate uses a backpack mount and is good without the faff - interestingly that accessory pack does not have one?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
Liked my GoPro Session 5 and was able to get some decent footage mainly with chest strap. Lost it so in market for replacement - assume the Hero 8 is the best choice?
The 8 will be a big step up in terms of image stabilisation. A bit bigger than the Session, but has a removable battery so better if you run out of power during the day as you can just put a fresh one in. An alternative to the Hero 8 is the DJI Action camera. Reviews seem to indicate there's not much difference between them in quality, ease of use, etc, although the Hero 8 is slightly lower profile as it has the mounting prongs built in to the body of the camera rather than needing a frame to connect the camera to the various accessories.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, I've found chest mount no hassle when wearing a bag, just remember to put mount on first. My gimbal is by far the best thing I've bought for getting interesting shots, just wish I'd got the proper one rather than the cheap knock off. I was still learning how to use it properly on this trip and it also seemed to fuss if it got super cold (easily got around by storing it in my jacket on lifts)

http://youtube.com/v/MRMKAgWw0fI

Hero 8 is possibly still being offered £100 off if you send a digital camera in. Any camera, working or not, as long as it had an original retail value of x dollars. Lad at work traded in a camera which must have been 15-20 years old.

Oh and my cameras are a Session 4 and a Olfi One Five
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I get good results (IMOP) from attaching it to the bottom of my ski pole (like a long selfie stick) - seems to work well.
Chest or helmet mount always seems to be pointing too far up or down.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Weathercam, I've found chest mount no hassle when wearing a bag, just remember to put mount on first. My gimbal is by far the best thing I've bought for getting interesting shots, just wish I'd got the proper one rather than the cheap knock off.

Assume you have to hold the Gimbal? I usually want both hands free so mainly use chest strap and it works well. hiw does the new stabilisation capabilities compare with a gimbal?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
hiw does the new stabilisation capabilities compare with a gimbal?
Very close overall, which is pretty amazing, but stability degrades in low light (not an issue for daylight recording, even if overcast). Apparently the GoPro app for the 8 has the ability to process the video to keep the horizon level and fixed, at a cost of electronically zooming in so you might get the video degrading in quality if you are trying to fix extreme rolling motion. Not tried it yet, but will play with it next month.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, I went onto the GoPro chat to ask about trade ins on the Max and they said no but offered a 20% discount code off the 8, so worth asking!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, I went onto the GoPro chat to ask about trade ins on the Max and they said no but offered a 20% discount code off the 8, so worth asking!!

Tradeup doesn’t seem to apply to CH (outside EU). Will try asking though. Thanks for the tip
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Holiday videos...............no better way to bore a friend or relative rigid than a video of you enjoying yourself whilst they were stuck in the office that week. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, you hold the one I've got but there are other versions which attach yo a normal gopro mount.

The GoPro Max stabilisation is arguably better, its freaky.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So the new back-strap mount arrived which I used yesterday, which is the antithesis of the gimbal mount on a pole a pro videographer was using last weekend on a trip I was on, that said taking into account the cost of the digital gimbal pole mount, the fact you're using a pole and looking at his footage vs the €12 I shelled out for the strap mount I'm quite happy.

Reviewing my footage I was a bit of a cock in not realising that it would obviously be biased to one side as opposed to a chest/head strap mount when skinning up, skiing you don't really notice the difference.

The big advantage for me, as opposed to my head strap (I tend not to wear a helmet & dick head mount), is that I can adjust/fiddle with it when I have issues.

I'll do a quick simple edit later.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, what mount did you buy?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
100chf off Black Friday deal on the GoPro website. Trigger pulled...
snow report
Here's a quick vid of the ski tour filmed with the chest mount and even including an adjustment Very Happy

The skiing's a tad sketchy as I was on my own, late in the day and snow-pack was questionable as you might make out, well those are my excuses Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/n_xc3JWF6TA

As for the chest mount, it's from Amazon France but there are loads of equivalent ones on UK
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07CWPD84Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

And that Gimbal that he used was a GoPro Karma

snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Oh dear.

You can get a 3-axis gimbal which is a bit smaller than that, and will do a better job.

ski holidays
@Weathercam, it was the back-strap mount I was interested in.
snow conditions
@kitenski, doooh that link above was for the back strap mount, I just put chest by mistake rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Weathercam, what was the mount in the first of the two videos you posted earlier in the thread, seemed like the best perspective

Does anyone have a recommendation for a selfie stick that doesn't lead to build up of really annoying clanking sounds, i'm mostly filming kids so the sound is important. REALLY annoyed me with the hero 4 (which I found pretty poor by the way, used to always crash though image quality good). Like Bobinch I pulled trigger on the 8 on black friday. Against my better judgment, really wanted to go elsewhere from gopro but all the online reviews were saying it's the best.
snow report
Powder Pete wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
More hassle than its worth IMO. Lots of faffing and you will end up with lots of footage that you then need to spend even more time editing. 99% of the time filming someone else looks better than POV/selfie stick shots. I rarely take mine out but if I do I generally just use it as a normal camera (I.e. summit photo on a nice day) or set it on take a photo every 3 seconds and just pick the best couple to keep.

Agreed. Too much hassle trying to capture the moment rather than living it. It's the same with most music gigs these days where people obsess about getting awful footage that you'll never watch again rather than just enjoying what's happening. When you try to preserve the moment often it is lost. Not a chance i'm devoting all my spare time to watching unusable footage, messing around with video editing software and setting up shots on the mountain. To get much watchable footage you really need someone filming you which they probably won't want to do apart from on the odd occasion because that will ruin their ski day. From what i've researched into it it takes get a lot of time and dedication to get anything worthwhile.

I agree completely with this BUT they do offer a great perspective on mountain scenes that capture the skiing experience and you can occasionally get something superb as a still from the video. I use it for max 5 minutes per day just seeking the latter and not interrupting the experience. Got some great screen savers out of it over the years, really cheers me up.

Also for catching a close up of kids faces as the experience their first ski turns /bike ride / water slide they're unrivalled.

All good in stark moderation.
snow conditions
Quote:

they do offer a great perspective on mountain scenes that capture the skiing experience

and there are so many brilliant film-makers out there who can do that for me. I love mountain/skiing videos (in moderation) but professional stuff is so stunning that I can't be bothered with the 2019 equivalent of "Uncle Brian's holiday slides" . For capturing your kids, of course, they're terrific and so much better than the equipment we messed around with in the 70s.
snow report
This was using the back-pack mount today, like to think it's slightly better than "Uncle Brian's holiday slides" Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/dtb-br3bAYM
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
Oh dear.

You can get a 3-axis gimbal which is a bit smaller than that, and will do a better job.

That DJI looks neat, would you buy that over a go pro for skiing use? Can't see an easy mount for skiing, the back pack one looks a bit weird.
ski holidays
endoman wrote:
That DJI looks neat, would you buy that over a go pro for skiing use?
Probably not for skiing. Both cameras have strengths and weaknesses, and for skiing the GoPro is probably the better option.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
endoman wrote:
That DJI looks neat, would you buy that over a go pro for skiing use?
Probably not for skiing. Both cameras have strengths and weaknesses, and for skiing the GoPro is probably the better option.

Thanks, did a bit more reading and that was the conclusion.
snow report
8611 wrote:
@Weathercam, what was the mount in the first of the two videos you posted earlier in the thread, seemed like the best perspective

Does anyone have a recommendation for a selfie stick that doesn't lead to build up of really annoying clanking sounds, i'm mostly filming kids so the sound is important.

Anyone?
snow conditions
8611 wrote:
... Does anyone have a recommendation for a selfie stick that doesn't lead to build up of really annoying clanking sounds, i'm mostly filming kids so the sound is important.
I don't understand the question. Your stick generates sound?

Point of View camera sound is usually useless in snow because of wind noise. That's probably why most people use a sound track. I have a separate audio recorder which is significantly better quality and more flexible than the built-in camera sound recording. If you want to record kid's voices from a distance, then let them carry the mic and you carry the camera...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Basically there's this awful rattle from the selfie stick I previously used, and whenever you adjust it there's a shocking loud clunk that pierces your soul, whereas all the other audio on the hero4 was muffled and you could barely hear. That was with the housing, I've just bought the 8 and gather it is waterproof itself so maybe you don't need the housing and the audio is better.

I'm not editing the videos. Basically, I might have two minutes of whatever activity it was, you'd have to turn the volume up really loud to hear the kids and then the clunking if I adjusted the pole during the footage was unbearable

Are the mics easy to use, functional? Bluetooth or do they record separately?
snow report
@8611, the sound quality of the 8 (without a waterproof case) will be significantly better than the 4 (inside a case). However, physics being physics, sound volume diminishes rapidly as you move away from the source of the sound, so it's going to be difficult to determine what they are saying if they are 30m away form you. I'd suggest you play around with the Hero 8 to see how it sounds before spending money on audio equipment. After the 4 I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
ski holidays
@8611, can't say I've noticed any clanking from the sticks I've used, but I don't think distance audio is really what the GoPro excels at.
ski holidays
I'd generally be close to them, with camera pointed at faces. Will just buy any old one I suppose.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
This was using the back-pack mount today, like to think it's slightly better than "Uncle Brian's holiday slides" Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/dtb-br3bAYM

Uncle brian's gardening gloves then? Happy
snow report
Video shot with these mounts all makes me feel queasy. Whilst the thumbnail on that video is an interesting shot, you can see the camera's pointing at the ski tips, which I think may be why. Each to their own, but the third-party shots there work much better in my opinion.

Microphones: I've tried various things but I settled on an ancient digital Olympus recorder which has astounding quality, is handy for other purposes, and has outlasted many a camera. That said it's probably too much hassle for children. A Camcorder would probably work best for that, POV cameras aren't designed for it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy