Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli Sking

Poster: A snowHead
First time Heli skiing Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/xjZynlM5KPc&feature=player_embedded
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[snigger]
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would love to go heli skiing!

Do they generally hire out the equipment to you as well? My current set-up is all mountain rather than backcountry, so would be good to know you'll get the right type of skis etc if you do it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hahaha I didnt expect that
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Now that is guaranteed to produce schadenfreude in all but the very nicest people!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bennisboy wrote:
Would love to go heli skiing!

Do they generally hire out the equipment to you as well? My current set-up is all mountain rather than backcountry, so would be good to know you'll get the right type of skis etc if you do it

I went cat skiing last week, more reliable cos during our 11 days there was maybe one when helis could have flown!

I rented skis for the day. ( Bent Chettlers) Huge things, but got me down. They advised anything over 110 mm, so went into rental shop and told them what I was doing. I would have struggled on my usual 92mm things I reckon. AVI gear was provided although we took our own.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
B*gger Toofy Grin

It never happened to me, but my Heli Guides, regailed is with various ‘warning’ stories....

The first one was a snow boarder, who put down his board, base down, the board sensing freedom took advantage of gravity and exited stage left. It was found by the heli over a mile away.

The second one was the Canadian rep for Fischer skis, who thought he would show the Fischer team, who were visiting, how Canadian’s can ski, and dropped a small cliff. He then double ejected, and again his skis sensing freedom, headed down leaving perfect parallel tracks until they disappeared.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Bean on sticks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love that he starts with 'Lets do this'.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hire...
  • If it's a weekly operation then they usually include "free" hire of skis or boards in the cost. It's always top stuff.
  • Shovels, proves and transceivers plus a bag to carry them in are included at any operator as you're not riding without those. You can use your own, although if it's esoteric then you'll need to teach everyone else how to turn it off.
  • Airbags are included at some operators, not others

I've never seen a runaway ski in the back country, or seen one lost. It's rare. The fix would be to give the guest a guide's ski, then swap them to the spare pair they carry in the machine. If needed they could fly more appropriate gear out on a fuel run. If he's falling over on that, like that, then you probably don't want to be anywhere near him.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why is there no brake on his ski? I always have a ski brake, even on the Volkl Katanas which I use for short tours. The extra weight is definitely worth it as this vid proves. Surprised noone else has brought this up actually....

On a related point I have noticed quite a few skiers on piste using fat skis with no brakes. Deadly and should be banned.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig,
But didn't he hit a rock? (Hence the fall...) Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That the strangest ski video, hysterical if true. Definitely not a fat ski, there looks like a ski brake is on but it still escapes. If it’s true it’s a big dilemma for the group. There is no extra ski in the group, and heli has left to shuttle next group. Often only one guide per group, so there is not a ski that can be given up and then rotated back into the pick up/drop off sequence.

If its a real heli video, 3 or 4 groups of heli skiers, maybe up to 30 people could have been impacted. If it’s a multi day, where everyone stays at same remote lodge, that dude will be ribbed on during dinner.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
zikomo, there are ski brakes, you can see its still engaged on the ski - @ approx. 12sec. as it goes over his other ski Toofy Grin.
snow report
Last heli week I was on they had some rather natty Wagner had made custom skis to try. Most of us were otherwise on Coombacks.

One of the guests popped a ski and brakes are pretty useless in powder with sufficient gradient so it headed off on its own.

Post lunchbreak the scout heli went off in search. They wouldn’t have bothered for the K2s.
ski holidays
Can anyone else see these 'rocks' he immediately hit? rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
I don't think there are any rocks. I think he crossed his skis.
snow report
I lost a ski on a guided off-piste trip one time. After ski touring up to a ridge we took our skis off to remove the skins - I forgot to lock my binding back down before putting down the ski and it immediately shot off down to where we'd just come from, a few hundred meters below. Guide then skied down and skinned back up with it at super fast pace - very embarrassing! Embarassed
ski holidays
I have only been multi-day heli once (CMH), and it was a big deal if you made the heli divert anyway during the day. If you made ur group late, and it wasnt at pick up spot on time, if you needed add'l equipment from lodge and bird had to go back to get something, if you needed to bail b/c u were too tired, etc., it was essentially a scarlett letter that you wore in the lodge. I almost got it on the first day, but persevered, and got to ride in the front of the heli on the ride back to the lodge as a reward. Those heli groups have a funny dynamic.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy