Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turin to Val Cenis by rental car

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I hope everyone is enjoying the great conditions. Just had a great week in Serre Chevalier and the next one is four of us heading to Val Cenis in the Haute-Maurienne on the 17th March, flying to Turin and picking up a rental. I've managed to get lumbered with the car hire bit of the trip (and being designated driver - harrumph). The Michelin route planner suggest about 2h15m with tolls of some e58. It also suggests that the route is sometimes closed, hence it presumably involves a pass, though as the route includes the Tunnel Alpin du Frejus, I'm a bit confused about that. Leaving aside the issue of a possible alpine pass for the mo, as Val Cenis village is relatively low at 1300m should I go the extra distance and book a car with chains included? Has anyone out there made this trip and gleaned any useful tips?

I consider all car rental companies to be rogues, though some are more roguish than others. I've heard that it is better to take out separate collision insurance to top up the standard rental package rather than buy from the rogues. Any thoughts on this?

Any advice gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To take the Turin Frejus autoroute in winter you need a car equipped with chains and, optionally, snow tires. That's the law.

There is no pass and the road is almost never closed. 58 euros - I think even the tunnel costs more than that, you'll not see much change out of a 100 euro note.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ichabod, Done it a few times, the last climb up to Val Cenis can get snowy and steep enough to need chains.
There is another route over to Val Cenis which hopefully will be closed as in winter it's a marked piste, avoids the tunnel but it won't be open in winter.
I use desperate insurance for car hire as they do try and catch you, having said that since buying it I haven't used it in about eight years.
Edit that's meant to be separate insurance, fat fingers
Embarassed

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 29-01-18 14:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use these guys and they’ve been very good for hire car insurance.

http://iCarhireinsurance.com

I fly easyJet to Munich and then to Austria in a hire car, I’ve also done the same to Venice. I find the car prices are hard to beat via the easyJet website.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've looked at the michelin route, it does start with that disclaimer that the route is sometimes closed. Obviously the route is via the Frejus tunnel in winter.

Can only think it refers to the pass (open in the summer, I think) that is direct from Susa to Val Cenis, if that's what it refers to then all good.
That road numbered ss25 in Italy, is the green piste "Escargo" in Val Cenis which you'll be skiing on. It's amusing that as you travel down it you pass through the hairpin turns with the barriers, signs and road furniture all in place Very Happy

Road from Frejus onwards to VC I'm familiar with, as stated not too high but still alpine and needs caution / equipment in the event of snow covered roads so wise to be properly prepared.

Weirdly, we'll also visit VC that week, and I grew up in Camberley! Que spooky parallel existence. Blush

Great place to ski by the way.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can confirm that the pass is the escargot run. We drove up there in summer once thinking we would pop to Italy for lunch. We did not find any lunch until Susa and that was a barely cooked pizza! I will not be rushing back to Susa!

In winter you would need the frejus tunnel and it is a gentle drive up from Modane. The road from Modane to Val Cenis does not have hairpins and is one of the easier resort climbs. I would still book the chains though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks v. much to all for advice and info. Chains it will be and top-up insurance (can be had for £40 / year apparently). @Ski3 - we're through the looking glass...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy