Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to survive the half-term ski holiday hell - by The Daily Telegraph

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure snowHeads could do better but here's the Daily Telegraph advice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/Skiing-How-to-survive-the-half-term-holiday-hell

1. Book rental skis and boots – and lessons – in advance
2. Get to the lifts by 9am
3. Head for slopes on the outer edges
4. Make the most of expert knowledge
5. Stay on the slopes at lunchtime
6. Set an ironclad routine
7. Opt for convenience
8. Think about your travel time
9. What about skiing at Easter?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Don't have kids or be a teacher.
2. Er, that's it

wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
11: Choose small resorts that are off people's radar
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't go to big resorts in France...that is just about all you need to know to avoid Half Term Hell.
The Hell bit = France, any other country will be busier than their normal, but nowhere near as busy as France.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. Go outside half term.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Do lessons and jump the queues.
2. Ski off piste esp. where you have to hike/climb/skin to get to it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Choose small resorts that are off people's radar

This is a rather British idea - because Brits never heard of it, it's bound to be quiet, right?

Wrong, IME. Areas with big fast efficient list might be a better bet than smaller places without - though that does make for crowded pistes.

The "ski at Easter" advice is probably the best. But the Telegraph list is not bad. Especially ski through lunch time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
0. Go ski in Japan instead.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As Hell goes a skiing break doesn’t seem to bad!! Even if it is busy. The opening paragraphs make it out to be so terrible you wonder why bother. A holiday’s supposed to be fun
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you’re driving, sacrifice a day or half a day on the slopes for a late arrival or an early return...(or both).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Given that just about every single ski area in Europe should be open, half term should be much quieter than normaly, shouldn't it?

Looking at the forecast there is a chance we may even have all four ski areas in England open too. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's so nice not to even know when this half term is!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

0. Go ski in Japan instead.

Yes because that distance would work for just one weeks holiday wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perty wrote:
If you’re driving, sacrifice a day or half a day on the slopes for a late arrival or an early return...(or both).

Given the cost of skiing at half term I would want my moneysworth and not to miss any skiing time. Why not take the kids out of school for one day in order to arrive in resort on Saturday morning. Then at the end ski the final Saturday and drive for a few hours on Saturday evening, stop overnight and do the rest of the journey on the Sunday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
endoman wrote:

Oh it is really easy to spot, just look in a brochure for the really expensive week.
snow conditions
The other point I would add is to try to find out where the bottleneck lifts are and avoid them at peak times. Nothing worse than needing to get back to your home station on a bluebird day and being caught in a 20 minute queue. Solution is to plot your days in the morning or night before then make a beeline for the farthest you want to go. Be back in home station by 2-230 p.m. and cruise for an hour or two.

Other key is biting the bullet and sorting gear/lift passes/lessons on Saturday, even if it means dinner is takeout pizza.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
endoman wrote:

Oh it is really easy to spot, just look in a brochure for the really expensive week.

Pre kids I used to always book skiing in Feb in order to ski on my birthday. I assumed that the high prices were due to the snow being at its best then and it didn't cross my mind to think of French school holidays. Embarassed Toofy Grin
latest report
The bit of advice that really made me smile was "Children’s ski passes should be firmly attached to jackets and never removed. " I suspect either: the journalist hasn't skied for at least 10 years or knows how to staple through a hard plastic rfid card.
snow report
endoman wrote:

Or it's very nice to know when it is. I started counting down the days to half term on 2nd January (I'm a teacher).
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
The bit of advice that really made me smile was "Children’s ski passes should be firmly attached to jackets and never removed. " I suspect either: the journalist hasn't skied for at least 10 years or knows how to staple through a hard plastic rfid card.

I make sure the kids jackets have lift pass pockets in the sleeves (more of a challenge than it should be!) zip the passes in them then threaten them all sorts of punishments if they even dare touch the zip
latest report
I have booked a weekend in Feb, just to see how bad it can get. I’ve done Xmas/New Year and it wasn’t bad at all.

I may yet bottle out and move the flights.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
johnE wrote:

I make sure the kids jackets have lift pass pockets in the sleeves (more of a challenge than it should be!) zip the passes in them then threaten them all sorts of punishments if they even dare touch the zip

When they were younger I would sew their zips up so they couldn't possibly get into the pocket.
ski holidays
For those living in the mountains, here's my top tips:

1. Get up early for the first lift. Enjoy half a dozen runs on empty groomed pistes before the holidaymakers get over their hangovers and make it out of bed. Go home and do something else for the rest of the day.
2. Learn to langlauf. It's still skiing, but harder work, so think of the fitness benefits.
3. As above, but snow-shoeing, touring, etc.
4. Go on holiday somewhere else.
5. Set up camp on your sofa and binge watch rugby, ski racing, Netflix.
latest report
Ski-Set, IME, is not a good bet at all.
snow report
Quote:

Perty wrote:

Given the cost of skiing at half term I would want my moneysworth and not to miss any skiing time. Why not take the kids out of school for one day in order to arrive in resort on Saturday morning. Then at the end ski the final Saturday and drive for a few hours on Saturday evening, stop overnight and do the rest of the journey on the Sunday.

+1 @snowymum, that is what we are doing, we are leaving at stupid oclock early friday morning, (one child has inset, other child looks like having a bit of a cough Toofy Grin ) overnighting in Albertville on the way there.
Get up to Les Menuires for around 9ish sat morning, sort kit out and have a ski before the hordes arrive. on way home leave sat afternoon, stay over at Troyes, sun lunchtime crossing to get home for early evening!!
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
johnE wrote:

Vail defeated that plan quite effectively at Whistler. Last year you could pay on your (season) pass and get a discount by scanning it on an RFID scanner, no need to ever remove it. This year they regressed to the same system other Vail resorts apparently use so have to take it out and swipe it. Son has lost his pass once so far this season! rolling eyes
latest report
The other bit that made me laugh was the suggestion to use smaller airports like Chambéry! I’ve not used Chambéry in half term but my experience in Jan suggests it won’t be pretty

Ski holiday half term hell really must be the definition of a first world problem
latest report
Was once skiing in Meribel the week before half term and OH broke her wrist on the last day. Managed to secure some additional days during half term while she was recuperating (was a complex break). IME wasn't as bad as people imagine (no where near as bad as Whistler on a weekend) however if there's a weather event then I expect it'd be a whole different matter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Be resident in almost any other European country, where they are enlightened enough to not force the whole country to take the same week off rolling eyes .

queen bodecia wrote:
For those living in the mountains, here's my top tips:
4. Go on holiday somewhere else.

Mini Shep and I are off to Grandma's in uk. The reverse flights are really cheap!

Anyway, chapeau to all the visitors who love their family skiing enough to overcome the challenges, and have a great time in spite of the uk's unhelpful policies. Enjoy! snowHead
snow report
Could kick myself for not doing the research. After 5 years doing Scandinavia we thought we’d try Austria this half term. We now know it coincides with Fasching week. At least there’s a firework display Very Happy
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
... Vail defeated that plan quite effectively at Whistler. Last year you could pay on your (season) pass and get a discount by scanning it on an RFID scanner, no need to ever remove it. This year they regressed to the same system other Vail resorts apparently use so have to take it out and swipe it. Son has lost his pass once so far this season! rolling eyes

There is a lot of talk about Vail's technology. Presumably they still have the "tear this bit off and keep it in case you lose that bit" thing?
snow report
I've skied in Chamonix and meribel during half term and it was busy but not as horrific as some have suggested. I wish good luck to all families heading to the slopes
latest report
All sounds lovely reading that.
We will end up taking our son out of school to miss the whole week when he actually goes to school.
I realise it isn't always a popular move but ultimately it will be helping build his love of being active and outside so as far as i am concerned that's more valuable than a week of school at a very early age. And we will make sure he catches up on school
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy