Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New snowboard - help my decision

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently eyeing a new set up. Boots will be whatever fits best and is nice and stiff. Bindings will follow after boots but board can be chosen now.

The 2 front runners are the Rome National Bjorn model in 158 and the Jones Ultra Mountain Twin in 157.

Ideally looking for a stiff flexing board that is great at speed and equally solid on piste and off. Ideally not brutally stiff at the expense of fun but being stable at speed is paramount.

Camber between the feet is a must but am open to rocker at the nose and tail.

I've been riding a 161 true twin for the past 9 seasons or so which I've loved but figure I can get away with a slightly shorter board now as I'm a touch lighter at around 68kg plus or minus 2kg depending on pies.

Directional or true twin. The true appeals as I ride fakie and is what I'm used to but not sure how much difference there would really be.

So... of the above two and anything else that fits the profile what should I go for?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure the MT is the right board. Its more of an A.M freestyle board these days. Explorer maybe?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Salomon Ultimate Ride, Capita Black Snowboard of Death, Mercury or Supernova depending on your preference of profile.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Explorer sounds a bit less geared for speed. Not so sure on that front despite some more redeeming features.

The Salomon board looks great. Only downside for me is the shape. Tail and nose difference.

The Capitas are interesting. Mercury and maybe Supernova.

What else is out there?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rossignol Krypto? Directional but can still be ridden switch no real problem
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have no problem regularly cracking 100 km/h on a mountain twin and it's fine at that speed (according to ski tracks so probably not actually that quick). Really like it as a daily driver. 92kg and on a 164W. Goes pretty good in powder although not my first choice on those days.

I've never ridden a UMT but guess it's stiffer and faster.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the explorer isn't fast enough then the MT is definitely off the menu.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd say look towards a directional twin and the Supernova and UMT would both work for all over the mountain including pow. If you want freestyle as the priority, riding switch ALOT then a true twin would be better. The BSOD is a badass board very fast and unforgiving. Its similar to my Endeavor Next which is not a daily driver just for real charging only.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been riding a Burton Flight Attendant this season and it is great at speed - feels very stable but not too stiff and handles chop very well. Not so good for a lot of switch riding but is okay for a bit here and there, and great in the powder. I ride it with Malavitas which I find are a nice balance of flex Vs control.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm currently on a Jones UMT (2015/16 season), it's great, I've got the 160cm, its very capable board, definitely stiffer and faster then the normal Mountain Twin (which I own a 2012 model).

I feel comfortable going switch at speed and it carves groomers really nice, it raises your confidence in terms of grip on icy pistes and if you get the turn right really snaps you into your next turn like an old camber board with minimal effort.

I'd say (stating the obvious) its more advanced version than the Mountain Twin, I'd feel comfortable if I was caught short without a powder board, to set the bindings back and go charging big lines and looking for deep stuff.

Also its still fun and playful enough for those warm spring slush days where as a boarder you can plough straight through the moguls or mess about on piste riding switch, butters and on side hits but generally riding lazy and not taking things too seriously. Though as a choice I'd probably switch to my MT for that.

I don't think there's one do it all board, I don't think it exists, different board for different days and moods, I still ride a Burton Custom from 2004 when the mood takes me, but I will say (and have done to friends) if I could only have one board with me for a trip then the UMT would be it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks. Great comments. Leaning towards the UMT as it seems just a notch higher end than the National Bjorn. Seems like a better base and possibly edge too though it is hard to determine just from reading the tech spec.

Oxley... thanks especially. Really interesting to hear the comparison points vs the regular MT. Just what I was hoping to hear.

One final but fundamental dilemma... I'm worried about giving up on my beloved camber which seems to suit the charging style better than anything else. I guess the slight rocker nose and tail with camber between the feet shouldn't be too much of a departure and has it's pow benefits. I might slow a touch on the pistes but that should give my pals time to catch up Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know what you mean, nothing like a big camber board for charging, like I said I have a Custom 62 from 14 years ago that I still ride and look after. That said if its one trip for a week, limited luggage, I'd take the UMT and be just fine. I'm lucky to have multiple boards and an understanding other half...

What you lose in the slight rocker you gain in grip with the mellow manga traction, I don't go any slower on the UMT, perhaps I go even faster but its a different feel to the Custom. Like driving an old sports car vs a new one. The old one is involved you have to do all the work on your own, have to concentrate all the time, the more you put in, the more you get out. In the new car, you can nip to the shops and keep the traction control on and not really concentrate as hard if you don't feel like it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy