Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dangerous straight-lining

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
IMHO, the skier is not being reckless ( from the Go Pro footage anyway)
They would have much better vision / awareness of whats around them, than we see in this clip.
Firstly, they start this video 100m below the steep bit of the run, where it is already flattening out.
They slow down at the ridges (0:45s, and 1:06s), and seem to speed check and start adjusting their position in relation to
the other users well in advance. Where there are other users they go down the closed edges of the piste
( where you are unlikely to get people joining randomly).
At 1:22 they choose the shallow blue round the back of the trees, where if they wanted to be a bit ballsy they would take
the red to the left (red line on map) , which is steeper, and goes straight down the hill, rather than a gentle shallow curve round the trees.
I am not convinced that they did 133Kmh either. Overall its 2.5km, and it takes 2:25s so that's a gnats nadger over 60KmH (Ave).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
@Ozboy, quite a nice run that, he seems well in control, aware of where everyone else was, turning where necessary and slowing for crests, etc, so not really straight lining, more fast and controlled
Broadly speaking I agree, although IF he was indeed going at 133kmh at times then that really is too fast. There are moments when he would have struggled if other people had done something erratic / foolish. However, 133kmh is 82mph and I struggle to believe it was as fast as that. I would have thought most of that run was closer to half that speed.
sorry missed that bit in the title, cannot for the life of me see where he was travelling at 133kph, Puzzled I suspect his gps lost him for a moment, then "found" him again further down the mountain and assumed he had travelled that bit at lightspeed?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Question: Does GPS (eg. Ski Tracks) measure speed/distance only across a horizontal plane or does it also take into account changes in gradient that is being traveled along? if the former then GPS will always overstate speed and understate distance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ozboy wrote:
Question: Does GPS (eg. Ski Tracks) measure speed/distance only across a horizontal plane or does it also take into account changes in gradient that is being traveled along? if the former then GPS will always overstate speed and understate distance.

GPS is in 3d so takes altitude / elevation into account
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy