Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Packing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I would like to ask people's opinions on different liners and how much they pack out.

I have exceptionally narrow/low volume feet but with a high instep, so struggle to get boots that fit. (Yes, I've looked at narrow race boots etc). I cracked and went down the line of Strolz boots last year, but after 10 days of hard skiing, they packed out enough that I was flopping around inside the boots.
My working theory (opinions please!) is that I was put in shells that were correct for my high instep, meaning that there was quite a bit of foam around my foot. Lots of foam=more packing. A small amount of packing as a % of my foot dimensions = room to slide around.

I have just gone through the fitting process again, but this time with narrow shells and the factory liner. They were working great for the first 4-6 days, but now I'm back to moving around lots. The boot fitters have said they can't really do anything with sticking stuff on the outside of the liners to make them narrower and are pushing me towards injection liners. I am slightly nervous about this, after my experience with Strolz. So the question is:

Will injection liners in shells that are lower volume pack less than injection liners in large volume boots?
In people's opinions, do factory liners or injection liners pack out more?
Do both factory liners and injection liners follow the pattern that the majority of packing occurring in the first 10 days?

Any opinions and experiences would be great to hear!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zipfit. Not a substitute for the right shell but will not pack out in the same way.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for zipfit. Mine haven't packed down at all (in approximately 18 weeks use over 3 years) but you can get additional injections of the cork stuff if they do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Will injection liners in shells that are lower volume pack less than injection liners in large volume boots?

Yes. If the foam is twice as thick it will pack out twice as much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Zipfit liners - I have very narrow low volume feet. I start with a low volume boot and zipfits, then after a couple of weeks skiing the cork in the zipfits has redistributed itself, so I have more added. That is usually enough for a good while, but with my last ones after about 20 weeks I had them topped up again. You do need the right size shell in the first place though - a tight shell can be made bigger, a loose shell will never be any good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have v narrow mid to rear foot, high flexible arch etc. Tried several foam liner options, none were at all successful even in giving a snug fit, all ended up being cranked too tight and also packing out v quickly. Not helped all being in shells which were too big (including Strolz).
Eventually got in an LV boot with Intuition-type heat moulded liner, and seems to be working well enough so far.
Originally wanted Zipfits, but was persuaded would be a hassle (matter of personal opinion and boot design, I gather) and heat-moulded worth a try first.
Have you tried one if the well-regarded boot fitters? Usually they should be able to find the right shell for you, then sort liner if needed. They can also advise if there are any other reasons why your liners pack so quickly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for zipfit. 196 ski days and still going strong.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no idea about skis but snowboard boots will pack out one whole size.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Another vote for zipfit. 196 ski days and still going strong.
Probably give or take the same for me. Mine have packed out a bit, but not so as to cause problems yet.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to say that the Sidas Conformable liners in my boots haven’t packed out to any extent that I have noticed in 16 weeks (112 days) of skiing. I still do up the boots on the same clip positions that they were foamed in.

I may have misunderstood the situation, but I thought there were different foam densities, ie. comfort, race etc, which may effect the pack rate.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lindsam, and Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy